• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think of the Subspace Emissary not returning?

C3CC

Smash Lord
I mean, not the exact Subspace Emissary, but a mode like it.

Personally, I'm happy it's not returning. That mode was awfully boring, because the last half of it was basically repeating the first half. It was tedious to me. What I am going to miss is the awesome cutscenes. I would have liked to see the new characters interacting with their fellow cast mates in an epic adventure, and the unlikely pairs working together. I would have liked to see Rosalina team up with King Dedede or something like that.

I also have to say that the reason Sakurai is stating for the Subspace Emissary-like mode not returning is absolutely ridiculous. Just because the cutscenes were uploaded on the internet. Hell, movie directors know their movies are going to end up online ilegally and they're still making movies.

What are your thoughts?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I didn't mind it as much as other people.
But, it did feel kinda useless. And we could've gone on without it. And yes I am happy it's going to other needs.

Though, referring to Sakurai's comment. Was it stupid? Yes. But, I could understand the reason.
Sure, the cut-scene's we're nice. But, after that, what's next? Nothing. And, with what little replay value there was, it's possible to dampen the experience when you've already seen it once. Even on Youtube.
So, what's the point of going back? The characters? But let's face it. Once you beat it the first time, every other time would feel like a chore...
But, that's just me...

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I absolutely love that it isn't returning.

The only good thing about was that it made unlocking characters easy, yet no less tedious, and allowed you to unlock them in one day if your fast enough.

But that's it.

All the bad things about it out weighs the single beneficiary.

And like i said in another thread. I don't care about the reason, I'm just glad that it is gone.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Same as everyone else. I never even beat it.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I beat it, a few times actually, but the best thing about it was the cut scenes (honestly I like the newcomer reveal trailers as much so far) and I guess fights, which could easily still return.

Honestly the SSE is the only reason I don't have all the trophies in Brawl, so if something like that isn't back to hinder my 100%, it can only be a good thing haha.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Elated. More development time to go towards more important things. Proper character balance for example.

SSE was dull.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I absolutely love that it isn't returning.

The only good thing about was that it made unlocking characters easy, yet no less tedious, and allowed you to unlock them in one day if your fast enough.

But that's it.

All the bad things about it out weighs the single beneficiary.

And like i said in another thread. I don't care about the reason, I'm just glad that it is gone.
This.

hydrokyogre

Smash Apprentice
I enjoyed it and I'm glad that they're not doing another one. The single player experience should be something fresh and new, not SSE 2. Onward and upward!

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
Glad it's not coming back. Though I would like cutscenes to make a return. Not an hours worth like brawl.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I loved seeing characters interact in the cutscenes, but it's not worth spending multiple months on the developement of the cutscenes/plot. I'm excited for a melee style adventure mode, or any new adventure mode added in SSE's place.

Pittoo

Smash Rookie
While I did enjoy the cutscenes in the Subspace Emissary, I do think that Smash 4 is better off without a SSE-esque single player mode. Overall it didn't really add much to the game aside from an alternate method of unlocking characters. If Smash 4 were to have a single-player mode aside from the usual stuff like Classic Mode, All-Star Mode, Event Matches, etc., I think something more akin to Melee's Adventure Mode would be a better choice. Something that's not overly-long and can easily be played through with every character in a shorter amount of time while still having a bit more substance to it than Classic Mode.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I feel bad for those who enjoyed it, but I personally didn't and am quite content that it won't be returning. As I stated in another thread somewhere, I feel that all the time and development that went into the SSE could have been distributed into game balance and mechanics; as is hopefully the plan for SSB4.

Blaziken

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4038-6625-0560
While I don't think it's horrible like some people are making it out to be, I'm glad they're spending their time on more important parts of the game.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
I hated sse... Except for its cutscene and delicious fan service.
Not to mention sse ate up a lot of brawls development time.

I would rather have random cutscenes of the fighters interacting with each other~ it doesn't even need a real story to go with it.

Besides I need new fanfic material.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I hope we get a melee-esque Adventure mode

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I want something of a single player experience to return, not like the SSE, but something with characters and cutscenes. I want it to have character development and have them react with each other. One thing they do need to change is a bit of the gameplay that goes along with the story mode to make it not so repetitive. Honestly I didn't like play it i just fought through to see the cutscenes cause they really were worth it and you can't deny that. If they add a whole bunch of villains to work together with new heroes it can have a lot of potential,

Also I want some characters to have voice acting or subtitles. Like the guy who voiced wolf I would love to hear him talk during a cut scene.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I liked SSE, but I'm glad they're taking a new approach. Perhaps they can improve on their ideas from SSE in this new Adventure mode (hopefully more akin to Melee's, with going through stages based on each franchise). I'd like to have one opening cutscene for each character though.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Eh. I'm glad they made subspace for brawl. I liked the character designs of the enemies, the boss battles, and the cutscenes... but it was dull and got tedious before you even get halfway through it. I never used the stickers, never replayed it, and never really felt it was worth a second attempt. So not really all that disappointed. Hope they use some of the enemies from subspace in some way though.

Minze Schokolade

Smash Rookie
The single player experience should be something fresh and new, not SSE 2
This for certain, Melee Adventure and Subspace both got tiring quickly and they both had flaws but playing through a Brawl or Melee mode rehash would be more soul draining than anything

Dev time needs to go towards the multiplayer.
It's already been stated that we're getting a single player campaign mode again, it might as well be something worth playing

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
While I loved the cutscenes, the mode felt pretty bland.

That being said, I still want an adventure mode on Wii U.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I don't mind subspace was boring and repetitive for the most part the cut scenes were pretty boss but that's about it. The only reason I played it was because it was the faster way to unlock all the characters.

Reznor

work in progress
Subspace was pretty much a bad version of The Great Cave Offensive would rather not see it return

JediLink

Smash Ace
Subspace Emissary was nothing but bitter disappointment and I'm glad they're not wasting their time on that again. If I want interactions between Nintendo characters, there's always Brawl in the Family anyway.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I enjoyed it and I'm glad that they're not doing another one. The single player experience should be something fresh and new, not SSE 2. Onward and upward!
Cheers to that! I have faith in Sakurai to surprise us with some Single Player modes we haven;t even thought of yet; if there is one thing he is good at, it is giving us exactly what we didn't know we wanted.

On a side note, I am honestly surprised how many people interpret Sakurai's reasoning about the cut-scenes showing up on Youtube as some kind of vindictive spiteful revenge and not simply wanting to make sure the rewards and collectables in game are worth working to unlock.

Simensis

Smash Apprentice
I'm not that concerned about the SSE not returning. I enjoyed it and all but not enough to have a sequel.
Like everyone says, I'd rather have more development on balancing and new modes than in a Sticker upgrade system.
That should have taken a lot of time and I don't think many really used it...

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
I don't mind a Subspace Emissary like story mode not returning. I'm glad that the developers can focus on the gameplay instead of a story mode that most people will only play a few times.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I liked it, and I hope the new solo modes are interesting. I'd prefer something level based like SSE because Melee's adventure mode was a pain to beat on very hard without continues.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Well everything about the subject's already been said.
- Loved the cutscenes
- Hated the gameplay
I dunno to me the SSE felt kinda like a Kirby game (cuz yknow, Sakurai) except it had Smash Bros. knockback that got more frustrating when you had higher damage and no infinite jumps. Also the sticker stats thing was just tedious I barely even bothered.
Still the cutscenes were great. Good cutscenes and bad gameplay just made it a neutral mess to me.
Still I think all the commotion about not having story mode comes from Sakurai's reason. I mean he could have easily said something like, "We have no plans for another story mode" or "We have something better in mind." Cutscenes ending up on the internet just seems like a lame reason. Ah well, at least he was honest about it.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I actually liked it. It was interesting to see a platformer/ beat em up that was designed around the smash engine. I'm kind of upset it's not in the game but since Nintendo joined the future maybe it can be DLC.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am glad that it is gone, they can focus on developing aspects of the game that are actually important. Apparently it (SSE) took about 3/5 of the development time, so we should be getting a more quality title this time around.

Top Bottom