• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think about the Master Core Battle?

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
What do you think about the Master Core Battle? (When the player defeats Master Hand and Crazy Hand)
Looks like harder for me, and you?

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
It's not "hard", but it's way more challenging with some characters than others. I got wrecked playing as Meta Knight on 8.0.

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
i beat 9.0 with cap falcon, and just spammed the knee, and i suck with captain falcon.

it's def a cool fight tho

RedBeanPorridge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RedBeanPorridge
3DS FC
3823-8771-4471
I find it really hard to beat on intensity 9.0 mainly due to the fact that you only have 2 stocks for it. But apart from that, it caught me by surprise when I one day just decided to play classic on something above intensity 5.0 for once. But yeah it's fun the first few times. Then you kinda memorise its attack pattern and...

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing the Dark Souls games religiously since the beginning of this year, and Master Core felt more like that than Smash (which I was completely okay with). Really fun fight overall, just takes a lot of practice. Gotta learn the tells for each move.

DadPalindrome

Smash Cadet
NNID
DadPalindrome
3DS FC
3780-9241-3996
I wrecked him as Mac and Yoshi at 9.0.

Everyone else has been on 8.0. He's not too difficult.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
I find Mega Man sorta destroys the guy with Metal Blades pretty safely, even on 9.0. He's really not that bad at all, though it does depend on who you are using.

Ducksen

Smash Apprentice
I find Mega Man sorta destroys the guy with Metal Blades pretty safely, even on 9.0. He's really not that bad at all, though it does depend on who you are using.
Really? Do the metal blades hit so many times it does fatal damage to him?
Usually what I did when I fought master core was spam his up air.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
It took me multiple tries to beat it on 9.0, but so far, I've managed to do so with Shulk, Lucina and Mac (custom characters tho, don't kill me)

Too many times have I've fell victim to Master Core's Giant form's "Off-Waves" and two-hand grabbies. Let's not get started on how annoying the Sword Form is and the doppelganger phase can be terrible since it likes to spam Counters.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Wrecked him as Wario on 9.0. He was hard the first couple trys, but it happened. Wished we have 3 stocks.

RedBeanPorridge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RedBeanPorridge
3DS FC
3823-8771-4471
Its sword form turns out to be a breeze with peach. Since spamming peach's side B makes her rise slightly with each hit so you can pretty much follow master core's main sword thing all the way to the top of the screen and it does pretty good damage too. Just be careful though cuz master corecan slash you at any moment while you're up there and you're basically dead.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
With Ganon on 9.0, you could stack attack equipment and keep u-smashing master hand/core until the sword phase where you just do whatever, then flame choke > dtilt > fair the clone and he's dead. The hardest part is the sword, but you should have a healthy 2-stock by that time.

Last edited:

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
It's not that bad, except for the last form. I tried 9.0 with Yoshi twice, got to the final form with about a minute left, and the clone just runs away and dodges every hit. Lost to the timer. This is crap, I'm just gonna run through with equipment next time. Having to fight the Classic RNG to get all the way to the final stage again is tedious af. How do you guys feel about using equipment?

Also, quick fun fact:
After you "win" and the timer stops...it's actually still counting down, but the game doesn't tell you. If you sit next to the orb thing without doing anything, when the invisible timer reaches 0, it explodes and kills you and you lose. So, if you manage to "beat" the Master Core with like 5 seconds left, you lost anyway.

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
It's not that bad, except for the last form. I tried 9.0 with Yoshi twice, got to the final form with about a minute left, and the clone just runs away and dodges every hit. Lost to the timer. This is crap, I'm just gonna run through with equipment next time. Having to fight the Classic RNG to get all the way to the final stage again is tedious af. How do you guys feel about using equipment?

Also, quick fun fact:
After you "win" and the timer stops...it's actually still counting down, but the game doesn't tell you. If you sit next to the orb thing without doing anything, when the invisible timer reaches 0, it explodes and kills you and you lose. So, if you manage to "beat" the Master Core with like 5 seconds left, you lost anyway.
Actually about that fun fact, you can dodge those insta kill waves as they are very similar to Tabuu's insta kill attack so you can actually beat master core itself without actually striking it if you feel brave.

Anyway, slaughtered 9.0 master core with Ike since those "Im all big and bad as I change forms" sections leaves him open for a full charged smash attack and the clone part seems to be always vulnerable to an up smash even if it has counter so I was able to up smash and forward smash for a 2 hit kill, was pretty funny!

Jigglypumped

Smash Cadet
Its sword form turns out to be a breeze with peach. Since spamming peach's side B makes her rise slightly with each hit so you can pretty much follow master core's main sword thing all the way to the top of the screen and it does pretty good damage too. Just be careful though cuz master corecan slash you at any moment while you're up there and you're basically dead.
It worked! I had been trying everyone else's solutions, but Peach worked out for me on my first run with her. I just used equipment to give her the highest attack possible without going negative on defense and speed, and then I made a custom set with the Flying Peach Bomber.

I lost one stock on the first form of the Core (I can never seem to dodge the brain waves even though I see them coming), and I was sure the critter form was going to get me, but once I got past it, I butt'd both the sword and the clone to death. The clone must have been confused with the added upward angle of the side custom because it didn't even get one hit in on me (which would have killed me because I was at over 180%). I almost had a heart attack.

I've seen lots of people suggesting to play who you're good with, but really it seems the best way to get through it for non-experts is to spam overpowered moves and get lucky.

RedBeanPorridge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RedBeanPorridge
3DS FC
3823-8771-4471
It worked! I had been trying everyone else's solutions, but Peach worked out for me on my first run with her. I just used equipment to give her the highest attack possible without going negative on defense and speed, and then I made a custom set with the Flying Peach Bomber.

I lost one stock on the first form of the Core (I can never seem to dodge the brain waves even though I see them coming), and I was sure the critter form was going to get me, but once I got past it, I butt'd both the sword and the clone to death. The clone must have been confused with the added upward angle of the side custom because it didn't even get one hit in on me (which would have killed me because I was at over 180%). I almost had a heart attack.

I've seen lots of people suggesting to play who you're good with, but really it seems the best way to get through it for non-experts is to spam overpowered moves and get lucky.
glad my advice worked for you! Here's an image to congratulate yourself

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
The first two forms are pretty easy for the most part; some of the first form's attacks are difficult to dodge, but I can consistently beat the second form without taking damage by just using smash attacks and spotdodging/rolling away. Sword form is harder, but spotdodging most of its attacks works pretty well (except for the one where it charges up and then hits multiple times... haven't really figured out a good strategy for that one yet).
Overall I think the fight is great and definitely more fun than the straight Master/Crazy hand battles of past games. :)

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I found the battle very hard at first, but now it's just a medium kind of challenge. I still struggle to beat it on 9.0 with Palutena, although I did beat with Wario, Ganondorf, Bowser Jr, Little Mac and Captn Falcon on 9.0 without too much trouble

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I honestly find Master Hand and Crazy Hand to be more difficult.

Some of the ways they can combine their new attacks together feel almost impossible to avoid, and I typically end up taking a ton of damage if I can't KO Master Hand quickly enough.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Master Core truly felt brutal on intensity level 9.0. It took me a couple tries to even make it to the dark clone phase of the fight. Of course, in one run, I did make it to the dark clone, but I took too much damage before reaching that point, and the clone finished me off.

I used Rosalina, as she was basically the only fighter that I could rely on to even make it to Master Core. Eventually, I was able to conquer intensity level 9.0 with her, but it did involve altering her custom equipment.

It's lots of fun, though I do hope they improve on it in the Wii U version.
Master Core is hard enough as it is, so making it even harder in the Wii U version would just be absolute overkill, especially if clearing Classic on the hardest level is immune to Golden Hammers (which seems likely).

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Master Core truly felt brutal on intensity level 9.0. It took me a couple tries to even make it to the dark clone phase of the fight. Of course, in one run, I did make it to the dark clone, but I took too much damage before reaching that point, and the clone finished me off.

I used Rosalina, as she was basically the only fighter that I could rely on to even make it to Master Core. Eventually, I was able to conquer intensity level 9.0 with her, but it did involve altering her custom equipment.

Master Core is hard enough as it is, so making it even harder in the Wii U version would just be absolute overkill, especially if clearing Classic on the hardest level is immune to Golden Hammers (which seems likely).
Giving the Core more attacks and such would be a decent addition. This wouldn't necessarily making things harder...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Giving the Core more attacks and such would be a decent addition. This wouldn't necessarily making things harder...
After what intensity level 9.0 showed us, Master Core is already a nasty foe. In case you didn't notice, intensity level 9.0 makes Master Core attack faster than on the lower intensity levels. Adding more attacks to it would just add insult to injury.

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
I had little trouble with no customization Villager. Axe destroys him, and Villager can recover from anywhere. And the CPU Villager just sucks, so the clone isn't that hard (I was at like 150%, and all he did was spam bowling ball. Easy to punish).

I kinda want to know if Villager can pocket the Off Waves. That would be really funny, though useless.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Managed 9.0 with Mac and Lucina so far...with custom equips qq.

One day...ONE DAY...

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I beat master core so many times on 9.0 now. Master hand and crazy hand alone stepped up their game with new moves. Master core however is a brand new boss that has multiple forms and various attacks. It's something to master on and feels rewarding to take out the new boss for the 1st time on the highest difficulty. I must of beaten it at least 20 times with mario, about 7-10 with mii, 2 with dr.mario, and 1 with luigi (I only played classic once with luigi). Basically it's all the characters I mostly play as.

Last edited:

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I really like it. It hits hard when you enter this stage of the fight unprepared and manages to be quite the challenge afterwards until you know the attack patterns. It needs some practice, not too much, and spices things up.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I had a feeling they'd change things up a bit for the Wii U version of the fight.

Assuming you still have to fight all of the other forms after Master Fortress, that could be really challenging, assuming that the enemies in there are as annoying as the Smash Run ones.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I just hope that after you defeat Master Fortress, you only have to finish off Master Core. Having to fight Master Giant, Master Beast, Master Edges, and Master Shadow afterwards would just be pure overkill.

Maybe to make Master Core more tolerable, the following would be set up...

5.0-5.9: Master Edges -> Master Shadow -> Master Core
6.0-6.9: Master Beast -> Master Edges -> Master Shadow -> Master Core
7.0-7.9: Master Giant -> Master Beast -> Master Edges -> Master Shadow -> Master Core
8.0-9.0: Master Fortress -> Master Core

Of course, it's hard to say when Master Fortress would be fought, as there is a Heart Container present upon its appearance.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I think it would be nice if they decided to include a new final boss fight at the end of Master Fortress instead of simply making it a level of sorts.

It would be a little anti-climactic if you just had to KO Master Core, but overkill if you have to fight all of the other forms, too.

D

Deleted member

I haven't beaten him on Intensity 9 yet, but I have on Intensity 8.
If you know his patterns, he really isn't that hard. The proceeding fight with Master Hand and Crazy Hand is the sort of "make it or break it" fight since if you die, you probably won't stand a chance. Since the duo are quite powerful, this can happen.
As mentioned, Master Core is easy once you know his patterns. Master Giant has some high damaging moves, but not many that will kill you. Master Beast has some killing moves, but he is very predictable in his patterns; I have gone through some fights by not being touched by him once. Master Edges is the hardest since he has the fastest attacks that can combo you and damage you easily to the point where he will KO you. Master Shadow is a bit mixed; he's either easy or hard, depending on his AI.
Overall, I don't think the fight is too challenging. I am curious about the Master Fortress fight on the Wii U version.

Top Bottom