• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think about suicide moves?

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
I have a friend who loves to suicide with Bowser and Ganondorf. He thinks it's hilarious, but I absolutely hate it. I feel like it's the cheapest and most cowardly way of getting a KO ever. It doesn't matter at all what percentage you're at or when in the battle it takes place, these suicide moves will always KO and they can be done as much as the player wants. At least with other so called "one hit kills" like Little Mac's KO Punch or a really strong counter from Shulk, it depends on percentage, the original move's power, and for Mac it can even be knocked out of him. With suicide moves, all that matters is that you're close to the edge of the stage. With Ganondorf especially, it makes pursuing him off the stage too risky because I know he'll probably just use side-B and take me down. So instead I just have to wait in the center of the stage until he gets back...

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
well with bowser i beleive you can help influence the direction and in doing so the suicider gets KO'd first. i find that if your friend does this you simply adapt your approach. no one can win everytime with 1 trick up their sleeve. And its not cowardly, its a strategic move. think about it, your losing but you managed to get the stocks even, but your opponent has 0% and you have 120%. how do you even the playing field? well obviously you cant hope to outmatch him at that percent, so a suicide is a way to even things out.

I personally see nothing wrong with such moves, because you can avoid them, and if you have trouble doing so it allows you to pin point your weaknesses and correct them. your friend isnt exploiting a move, he's really exploiting you. find where it is your allowing yourself to be open to such attacks and correct it.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
I find it funny, but pointless unless you have more lives than your opponent, or if you're at a high percentage.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Bowserciding feels like a dirty tactic to me, though I'm alright with Ganonciding, since it at least requires a degree of skill and patience to perform.

I prefer not to use either myself out of good faith, but I don't begrudge those who do use them regularly.

KingChael

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2638-1993-9117
You can di with the bowsercide meaning they can only kill you if they have less percentage than you, and with ganonciding it's hard to get them and you can actually escape it and let them kill themselves.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
The only true suicide is Ganoncide. Which is part of the fun of playing Ganondorf. Fitting of a villain to go "If I can't kill you I'm taking you down with me!".
The other suicide moves are escapable :4bowser::4kirby::4dedede::4wario::4diddy::4dk:. Though I personally always attempt to Dedecide when I have a stock advantage and the opponent has a recovery that wont save him from the bottom of the level.
So always remember what characters suicide moves and be careful around them if they are camping the corner. Use this knowledge to your advantage.

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
They're fine since most of them are gimmicky and hard to land unless you're hugging ledge while they're off stage. The only one to worry about is Ganon since it KOs you first and inescapable, but the horizontal range on it is small and easily punished.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I find them funny if they're at the end of the match; like doing Ganoncide (while having 2 stocks obviously) to end quickly your enemy.
And its better in free for alls because its easier to grab somebody.

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
They die first now due to an update to the game, so right now I find them surprisingly funny now since they will lose if they do that on the last stock

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
They die first now due to an update to the game, so right now I find them surprisingly funny now since they will lose if they do that on the last stock
Ganondorf's doesn't.
I don't hate them, but they make me hate myself for falling for them. Especially when it's twice in the same match....

Kraton9000

Smash Cadet
I personally Bowsercide all the time and find it quite fun, as long as both parties treat it as such. If it comes to high-level play, or even when one player is trying to take the game seriously, its better that the suicider stop suiciding, as well. Basically, if you're going to suicide all the time, make sure you're good at playing the character how he was meant to be played, as well.

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice
Ganoncides still give Ganondorf the win.

Last edited:

SilverhandX

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverhandX
The characters with suicides are rather slow, and their suicide is a useful tool. You just can't play against them the same as you would other characters. With Bowser don't let him get in range for a grab, with Ganondorf don't chase him off stage. I feel this is the same as people complaining about Little Mac being OP when the game came out because they had no idea what to do against him.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Kirby's Jumping Inhale custom move was specifically designed for Kirbycide.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Ganoncides is still the best thing ever and I say that as one of the many Ganondorf users here.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Bowser's always felt cheap to me; it's a lot less so now given that he dies first. I never minded Ganondorf's as much (mainly because it looks hilarious), and even it seems to have a lot less momentum to it now; seems like it wouldn't kill unless the opponent's already off the stage. I haven't ever played anyone who did any of the others.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Simple: Don't get grabbed. I personally couldn't care less, cause if I'm out of my right far enough to let someone grab me with such an obvious and predictable move, I deserve to lose.

Akago

Smash Cadet
I find them funny, and honestly they are a pretty good strategy for the person doing it if they are huge % behind. If you have a 100% lead and you get grabbed and Ganoncided then you deserve to lose that lead; I've never found them to be remarkably hard to avoid.

Now that's direct suicide moves, but people who disrespect suicide like Falcon with a badass knee kill are the greatest people alive, and should not be questioned. :4falcon::4falcon:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I think a Ganoncide is the funniest way to end a lost match (for either player). Bowsercide is fine there, too. Others, less fun and less entertaining, but I really don't care either way.

Only true of Bowser. I seem to recall reading that it works a bit differently between the 3DS and U versions, though.

Last edited:

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice
I managed to ganoncide twice in a for glory match. I couldn't stop laughing and saved that replay XD. I love ganoncides(whether i'm doing it or it's being done to me).

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Simple: Don't get grabbed. I personally couldn't care less, cause if I'm out of my right far enough to let someone grab me with such an obvious and predictable move, I deserve to lose.
Actually I agree. If I end up losing a match by, not one, but two Ganoncides, that's my fault for not learning to stay put when they're off the stage.
Ironically, there was one instance where I didn't chase a Ganondorf off stage for a KO and I guess he freaked out and botched such an easy recovery.

Leaf-Puffy

Smash Cadet
Well they are part of the game, so you must take care about it, especially when you can dodge them easily ;)

betaclay

I play bad games
I only find myself using them if I'm desperate .

For example, if my opponent and I are at 2 stocks but I have 150% and he has 0%, I might do a Dededecide to even it out.

However if I'm at 2 stocks and he has 1, I'm not going to Dededecide to just end the match early, that seems cheap to me.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Actually I agree. If I end up losing a match by, not one, but two Ganoncides, that's my fault for not learning to stay put when they're off the stage.
Ironically, there was one instance where I didn't chase a Ganondorf off stage for a KO and I guess he freaked out and botched such an easy recovery.
Wow. That sounds hilarious.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
I've never played a good Ganon ever and can't land the suicide myself, but it was annoying with Bowser in pre-1.03 days on 3DS.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Fun and oftentimes hilarious in friendlies or in free for alls, otherwise go **** yourself and please try to actually play.

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice
Fun and oftentimes hilarious in friendlies or in free for alls, otherwise go **** yourself and please try to actually play.
In my opinion, if you set yourself up for it, you're just asking for it. I(as ganondorf) played against someone in for glory who was trying to meteor smash me, but because of that I was able to ganoncide him. Guy learned his lesson after that and I barely won due to a slight miscalculated roll on my opponent's part.

Now, for the record(and probably sounding redundant), I don't purposefully go for ganoncides(too much risk imo) and will fight with all I can with my skill, but if the opportunity arises where I have a high chance of being able to do it and have the smallest amount of risk. You can be sure that I will take that opportunity without hesitation.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I believe the suicide possibilities add a small layer of fear to any opponent or you if you are facing someone with such a move. You never know when it may be tried.

Mind games yo.

Last edited:

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
Suicide moves are essentially easily escapable and heavily telegraphed kill options that have no use in competent play.

Unless it's Ganoncide. Then it's cool.

TheKingWalnut

Smash Apprentice
Suicide KO's are annoying. I do them occasionally during random matches with my friends, but I still find them annoying. It doesn't take any skill to pull one off.

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
Suicide moves are, in my opinion, meant to be part of the mindgame. You don't really have any other aces up your sleeve, so you Kirbycide/Bowsercide/Ganoncide/D3cide/etc. Then you better get back in the game, because suicide moves get really tiring really fast. And suicide moves are at their best if they come out of nowhere, if you can see it coming, it just gets annoying. I remember being in a Brawl match on a con with a Bowser who wouldn't stop Bowserciding, and it grinded my gears all too much. The ones watching the match even acknowledged that I'd kick his ass if he just stopped Bowserciding and fought me decently.

Victor Marczyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Duskblack
3DS FC
1950-8264-0245
My friend and I were smashing over 3DS from across the street, and I was Fox and he was Ganon. Each of us had one stock and he uses that opportunity to use Ganon's face palm to the fiery depths of hell. :foxmelee: > :ganondorfmelee:

_gold_

Smash Master
There's obviously a limit on it. If you're ahead, let's say 2 stock vs 1, you can use it. But if you're going the whole match, like with Bowser, to suicide, it get's pretty freakin annoying.

Savangardius Corsio

Smash Rookie
NNID
Savangardius
I too find them hilarious. Now, they can be used to get an advantage, like some have said.

The only way for me to hate them, is for example (this has happened to me sometimes vs friends) when I play as Ganondorf, when I try to recover using side-B and my opponent gets in the way (be it intentionally to troll me or not) it becomes annoying because I didn't want to suicide in the first place...

Last edited:

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
Suicide moves can be fun in Casual play. And by causal I mean FFA, All items.

Personally I feel that Suicide moves are very Unskillful and Disrespectful, and find it sad that some people rely on techniques like this to win matches or have fun.

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
It's part of the game, people should just deal with it. Nothing is more satisfying then Ganonciding people who try to gimp you, be it friends or strangers.

Louis Pica

Smash Rookie
Suicide moves may be strategic in some peoples eyes, but to the rest of us it just looks cheap and like a lack of skill, but to each his own.

Top Bottom