• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think about Greninja?

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Greninja was the one I wanted to try out first and he is interesting to use. Good recovery, solid smash attacks, can jump very high, and can be very tricky with his shadow sneak. What do you think about him and will you stick with him?

I also have more thoughts on him as I try him out online in the video below. Happy smashing! B)

Kenjin

Smash Cadet
Seriously, I think it's a useless mid/low tier now, just like faclo.
SInce 1.0.4, he has no finisher, too much lag on his smashes, a very bad ADA since you can't cancel it anymore, and his hydro pump became useless.
Wait for hi buff next patch, and don't play it. Don't encourage Sakurai to kill characters like that.

Karasu

Smash Cadet
Seriously, I think it's a useless mid/low tier now, just like faclo.
SInce 1.0.4, he has no finisher, too much lag on his smashes, a very bad ADA since you can't cancel it anymore, and his hydro pump became useless.
Wait for hi buff next patch, and don't play it. Don't encourage Sakurai to kill characters like that.
Stop crying like a baby and look at it more objectivly.
I admit that I don't quite understand the nerf on Fair, but the others are understandable.
UpSmash was spammable and not punishable, how is that not outstanding?
Shuriken could be used to outspam characters that really rely on their projectile (like Samus) unlike Greninja, who was probably never meant to be so good with his projectile.
Hydro Push was crazy even with the shabby controls of the 3DS. Can you imagine how broken it would be on the WiiU?
Uair was glitched and now has a new glitch so this will be fixed.

And now to your post:
No finisher? Gimping and Hydro Push are working pretty well. Shadow Sneak got buffed and helps alot. Most combos are working better than ever thanks to the removal of vectoring, and are killing like always.
Too much lagg? Please, these 4 more frames on Greninja's UpSmash are noticeable but it still has not "incredible" lagg. Try playing Ike and you now what laggs mean.
****ty Dair? The cancel through Shadow Sneak was predictable so this is hardly a nerf (I would like to remind you that this was a glitch in the first place and shouldn't be there).
Hydro Pump useless? It can still gimp, you just have to angle it more accurately.

Greninja was not "killed" or made useless by any means. Many people fail to realize that the removal of vectoring would have made Greninja broken as hell since his UpSmash and Uair already killed pretty early. Look more at the whole picture instead of nitpicking on the nerfs and ignoring the buffs.

The ONLY thing that is really sad is that his Sub didn't get buffed. I hope it will happen, but otherwise the patch is reasonable. Stop whining and practice or go to another easy-to-play character.

Kenjin

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
Yeah, suck Sakurai's ****. kill that game.
Continue like that, and he'll be nerfed again next patch, and again, and again, and again...

Spirst

Yeah, suck Sakurai's ****. kill that game.
Continue like that, and he'll be nerfed again next patch, and again, and again, and again...
Oh come off it already, I get the frustration with the nerfs but it's not the end of the world. He's a solid character despite the nerfs and it sounds to me like you're just crying about what changed as opposed to actually getting used to the changes. There's absolutely zero productivity in that.

Last edited:

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Stop crying like a baby and look at it more objectivly.
I admit that I don't quite understand the nerf on Fair, but the others are understandable.
UpSmash was spammable and not punishable, how is that not outstanding?
Shuriken could be used to outspam characters that really rely on their projectile (like Samus) unlike Greninja, who was probably never meant to be so good with his projectile.
Hydro Push was crazy even with the shabby controls of the 3DS. Can you imagine how broken it would be on the WiiU?
Uair was glitched and now has a new glitch so this will be fixed.

And now to your post:
No finisher? Gimping and Hydro Push are working pretty well. Shadow Sneak got buffed and helps alot. Most combos are working better than ever thanks to the removal of vectoring, and are killing like always.
Too much lagg? Please, these 4 more frames on Greninja's UpSmash are noticeable but it still has not "incredible" lagg. Try playing Ike and you now what laggs mean.
****ty Dair? The cancel through Shadow Sneak was predictable so this is hardly a nerf (I would like to remind you that this was a glitch in the first place and shouldn't be there).
Hydro Pump useless? It can still gimp, you just have to angle it more accurately.

Greninja was not "killed" or made useless by any means. Many people fail to realize that the removal of vectoring would have made Greninja broken as hell since his UpSmash and Uair already killed pretty early. Look more at the whole picture instead of nitpicking on the nerfs and ignoring the buffs.

The ONLY thing that is really sad is that his Sub didn't get buffed. I hope it will happen, but otherwise the patch is reasonable. Stop whining and practice or go to another easy-to-play character.

Have you even been to a tournament???

The only people saying greninja isn't low tier are people who aren't here, to play to win, which is perfectly fine. If you want to be a hipster and try to beat bads with your greninja while someone else wins the tournament go ahead.

Last edited:

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997

The only people saying greninja isn't low tier are people who aren't here, to play to win, which is perfectly fine. If you want to be a hipster and try to beat bads with your greninja while someone else wins the tournament go ahead.
Care to enlighten us then, Mr. tournament?

Really, I dont see how Greninja could be low tier.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

I get annoyed by people who use him...He's a great character, no doubt about it, but I think he's a bit overrated.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
I get annoyed by people who use him...He's a great character, no doubt about it, but I think he's a bit overrated.
Overrated in what ways? Just his usage or what? I really never experienced a lot of encounters with Greninja mains, but everyone else says that they do.

He was one of the best before the nerfs, no doubt about it. But after the nerfs, there's definitely going to be less people using him just for the sole reason a character is "top tier."

...Right?

D

Deleted member 269706

Overrated in what ways? Just his usage or what? I really never experienced a lot of encounters with Greninja mains, but everyone else says that they do.

He was one of the best before the nerfs, no doubt about it. But after the nerfs, there's definitely going to be less people using him just for the sole reason a character is "top tier."

...Right?
Yeah, I mean a lot of my statement was built off of nothing more than personal bias, but I do see a fair amount of Greninja's online. I don't think there's anything wrong with the character, but I do get annoyed when I see the same characters over and over. Hence the reason I try to stay away from ZSS and Sheik.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Yeah, I mean a lot of my statement was built off of nothing more than personal bias, but I do see a fair amount of Greninja's online. I don't think there's anything wrong with the character, but I do get annoyed when I see the same characters over and over. Hence the reason I try to stay away from ZSS and Sheik.
Ah. I see.

Also, unrelated, but mad respect for an Ike main. I got a friend that mains Ike, but, other than that, I don't see too many people committed to him.

D

Deleted member 269706

Ah. I see.

Also, unrelated, but mad respect for an Ike main. I got a friend that mains Ike, but, other than that, I don't see too many people committed to him.
Yeah, being an Ike main is another reason I avoid the listed characters :p I feel like it's easier to just dominate someone if you're playing as Greninja or ZSS for example (compared to Ike anyways). There's more too it than speed, y'know? But maybe I'll give Gren a shot later...who knows? I might like it.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Yeah, being an Ike main is another reason I avoid the listed characters :p I feel like it's easier to just dominate someone if you're playing as Greninja or ZSS for example (compared to Ike anyways). There's more too it than speed, y'know? But maybe I'll give Gren a shot later...who knows? I might like it.
Haha. Go for it! ;P

I was considering maining Ike for one of my slower, heavy hitting characters, but I chose Shulk over him instead.

...Shulk promptly got buffed quite a bit and now a lot more people are playing him. e_____e

Karasu

Smash Cadet

Have you ever been playing him??? Especially on the WiiU?

I'm not going to argue if he is the best character or top-tier or ANYTHING, but I highly doubt that a character with such a unique playstyle, great killing options (even if nerfed now), speed and combo-potential is everything except a bad character. There might be better/easier to use characters in this game but calling one of the most chosen characters (yes, even after the nerf and in tournaments too) a bad character is a bold exaggeration.

I'm just mad that many people are complaining about how bad Greninja is without even trying to get used to it. If a nerf hits a character too hard I would be the last one who would say "it's fine he is still solid". Testing, experimenting and learning with the nerfs and then you can talk, that's how I do it. I stated my opinion on the nerfs already, if you have a different one it's fine but I don't like those blank statements without any logical reasoning.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Greninja feels so awful for me. I had a hard time just trying to complete 10 turns with it in Crazy Orders. It couldn't even KO a metallic fighter, even when it had over 300% damage, and it was I who ends up losing that fight.

It's probably just me, but Greninja just seems very overrated.

Karasu

Smash Cadet
Greninja feels so awful for me. I had a hard time just trying to complete 10 turns with it in Crazy Orders. It couldn't even KO a metallic fighter, even when it had over 300% damage, and it was I who ends up losing that fight.

I think that is normal. Not everybody can play like a pro with every character in the game. I personally have trouble playing as Diddy Kong (expecially off stage) and nobody would claim that he is a bad character.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think that is normal. Not everybody can play like a pro with every character in the game. I personally have trouble playing as Diddy Kong (expecially off stage) and nobody would claim that he is a bad character.
Yeah that's probably the story, as I was able to reach 10 turns with Rosalina more easily than with Greninja, but I guess part of this reason is because Rosalina's approaches are safer with the Luma by her side. With Greninja, you don't exactly have any approaches that are considered safe.

Karasu

Smash Cadet
Yeah that's probably the story, as I was able to reach 10 turns with Rosalina more easily than with Greninja, but I guess part of this reason is because Rosalina's approaches are safer with the Luma by her side. With Greninja, you don't exactly have any approaches that are considered safe.
True, but it is manageable. I would say Greninja's strength is that he has no strength and no real weakness.
But this is true for nearly every fighting game. With some characters you are really feeling it, with some others not :D

Spirst

Not to be rude here, but I find it quite silly that you call a character whom I'm assuming you don't have much familiarity with very overrated after losing with the character in a single player mode. Just because the character has been talked up as being good doesn't mean it'll be an easy win if anyone uses him. Not to mention that the discussion of Greninja being good is in the setting of competitive smash and not necessarily something like Crazy Orders. I'm sure Brawl Ganondorf could KO a metallic fighter quite easily but that wouldn't have made him underrated since he still sucked.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not to be rude here, but I find it quite silly that you call a character whom I'm assuming you don't have much familiarity with very overrated after losing with the character in a single player mode. Just because the character has been talked up as being good doesn't mean it'll be an easy win if anyone uses him. Not to mention that the discussion of Greninja being good is in the setting of competitive smash and not necessarily something like Crazy Orders. I'm sure Brawl Ganondorf could KO a metallic fighter quite easily but that wouldn't have made him underrated since he still sucked.
I'm sorry if I rubbed any Greninja players the wrong way. I've had problems with Greninja even back in Smash 3DS.

Spirst

I'm sorry if I rubbed any Greninja players the wrong way. I've had problems with Greninja even back in Smash 3DS.
Nah, we're all cool. He's a slippery character, I know. Definitely takes some time getting used to.

Last edited:

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039

....this logic lol.

its a single player mode with a bunch of random ****. i couldn't imagine sheik would do well in a mode like that either, where you can basically just mash buttons on a big body character and win.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
Greninja is an incredible ninja. He's pretty much perfect in every aspect.

Roll-Spamming-Peasant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MontyRattata
I find that going back to him after learning how to play the game better in general (getting tilts down, getting aerial timing down, etc.), I'm beginning to enjoy him a lot. Especially after Hydro-Gimping my friends Toon Link while he was trying to Dair. The look on his face as he just gently floated down to his death was priceless.

Top Bottom