• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you look to become in this life (and beyond)?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
The reason I posted this here over the Pool Room is because the matter in this thread is up for debate.

The nature of this thread is to address what you want to do in this life? Seems like a pretty simple question any education counselor would ask, but its merely tapping the tip of the iceberg. When it comes to what we want to do with our lives, we must also think what do we want to leave behind when we die. That redefines the question to becoming, "What do you look to become in this life (and beyond)? Some would argue you're expected to become a working class citizen (or commonly known as a middle class citizen) and give back to society, 8 to 5, for 5 days a week, for the rest of your days, whether its 40 years or 80 years down the road.

The term, "Career," is tossed around like popcorn kernels when you come close to graduating high school. For the record, its a word that, while it should be in the back of the mind, shouldn't be at the center in my belief. Journey is a much better term. Cutting to the chase, what do you want to be? What do you want to accomplish that not only friends and family will remember you, but complete strangers will as well? What footprint will you leave in the soil where you came, and eventually will return?

Its a lot to digest, isn't it? If you enjoy what you do, by all means do it, but keep in mind you have one chance to contribute to the history of this earth, unless somehow you're resurrected or reincarnated.

The best field to do this in, and I beg of those in the process of finding their way, to go into the arts, whether its designing a game like Smash, authoring a book like Harry Potter, or creating music like Green Day. The question of what will you become after this life is answered, and you are not reporting to someone, or adding to the balance sheet. You inspire and intrigue people around the world who you don't know from Adam, but look to you in their own endeavors through your art. That going into criminal justice, culinary arts, or healthcare cannot necessarily fulfill.

But you don't need to be Lady Gaga to fulfill both these questions.

Let's take Sakurai, the person responsible for why we're on this page in the first place. He's not a famous person, or a billionaire (but must be somewhat wealthy). He created a game where all of Nintendo's worlds collide. Long after he's gone, people here and beyond will still be smashing. He's known by the world, and that's what counts.

That is the type of answer to this question. Its not becoming a working class citizen, or reporting to someone every week. Its going above and beyond that, far exceeding what that type of lifestyle would be.

I hope this thread opens up not only to debate what you believe the answer to this question is, but motivational to how you go about answering this question. So go ahead, be my guest and ask yourself,

"What do you want to be?"

I'm curious to see what you think.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don't have an answer for what happens after we die, I couldn't say for 100% what that is. But I still have hope for the best, and in that case I live to make sure everyone around me is happy as best as I can.

That makes me happy even if happens at my expense. I want to make life and what might happen after the best it can be as much of a hypocrite I can be with my ethical and theological views.

I want to live by the values of the movie Camelot. To be honorable and live to do the right thing because it is the right thing. I try to live by this and I want to always do this.

That is my life's purpose, that is what I will do for others.

This is my honest truth. I don't have an answer for the after, but I will for now do what I can here and ever give up on that.

This is me as Justin saying this.

Last edited:

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
That makes me happy even if happens at my expense. I want to make life and what might happen after the best it can be as much of a hypocrite I can be with my ethical and theological views.
This sounds interesting.

Sooo... If someone.. Lets say does or says something bad to you.

Would you still feel like you should make them "happy"?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
This sounds interesting.

Sooo... If someone.. Lets say does or says something bad to you.

Would you still feel like you should make them "happy"?
Depends, what kind of "bad" we talking here.

Are they redeemable? Will they discuss it? etc.

It's more complicated.

But if someone hurt me overall, I'd get over it fast and try to make the best of it for me and them if it was a person who I thought wasn't doing it like a parasite to exploit me.

Which I would admit people told and asked me if people used me like that. I only truly felt like that once in my life where I said "**** you no" and that was a guy trying to exploit me to get money in Milwaukee where he turned my trust on me where I believed his car broke down and I gave him money only for him to turn it on me and buy cigarettes with it and laugh about it at me.

That was horrible for what I believe in, to be frank.

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Which I would admit people told and asked me if people used me like that. I only truly felt like that once in my life where I said "**** you no" and that was a guy trying to exploit me to get money in Milwaukee where he turned my trust on me where I believed his car broke down and I gave him money only for him to turn it on me and buy cigarettes with it and laugh about it at me.

That was horrible for what I believe in, to be frank.
My bad to hear that.

I feel ya tho, Back when I lived in the ghetto, id always have random people come up asking for cash. Always told them no straight up. Had a pretty good idea what they'd buy with it anyways.

At least situations like that didn't make you cynical.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I don't have an answer for what happens after we die, I couldn't say for 100% what that is. But I still have hope for the best, and in that case I live to make sure everyone around me is happy as best as I can.

I want to live by the values of the movie Camelot. To be honorable and live to do the right thing because it is the right thing. I try to live by this and I want to always do this.

That is my life's purpose, that is what I will do for others.

This is my honest truth. I don't have an answer for the after, but I will for now do what I can here and ever give up on that.

This is me as Justin saying this.
Great answer.

I don't think any of us have an answer to what really happens to us in the afterlife, whether we hold religious beliefs or not. That's why I find near death experiences so perplexing. Neurologists can say what they're going to say, but that doesn't change my mind.

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
I want to be a game developper, game and level designer to be more precise.

Nothing in life has ever interested me more than video games, and if one day I can make a game that somehow matters in the great history of VG, then that is the footprint I dream to leave.

Still a long road, but hopefully I'll share one of my games with you guys someday :D

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I want to become truly happy.

I also want the people who are in my life to be happy.

If I have those two things then **** all the other stuff.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Just to be a happy person along with those around me.

Though I would be even more happy if I spend the rest of my life in Texas.

atticusfinch7

Smash Apprentice
I'm reminded of a quote by I believe Gandhi, "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in service to others". So like everyone else I want to be successful and all that, but I feel like I won't be truly able to feel satisfied with myself unless I'm doing something to help those less fortunate.

Last edited:

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
I would love to be actor, or an author, or perhaps a musician. Not neccessarily a famous one; I just want to do what I love. U would like to donate to charity and make life better for my friends, family, and the strangers around me. I doubt all of this will happen, but this thread says what you hope to achieve, not what you realistically believe you will accomplish. :)

Mrs. Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I'm on my third degree and I've got the fourth one planned. For those of you who are worried in college about figuring out the answer there at that moment...don't. It is not a big deal to make a change in careers. Just be smart with your money and don't get into too much debt. Whatever end I find, I am happy to know that the path getting there will be endless learning and helping others.

(First degree: BA Economics, second degree: MS Healthcare Administration, third and current degree: BS Nursing, prospective fourth degree: MD)

Last edited:

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
I'd love to become a forensic psychologist and help out criminals to reform their lives. I think it'd be helpful to society and the criminals. I'll most likely minor in Spanish or Music since Music is pretty much one of my favorite things.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
I know that this isn't probable, but I want to make a game. A game that I would enjoy playing, not a game that would make me money. Something like Cave Story maybe, where I can work on it for years and then just release it for free, for anybody to enjoy.

Something like that, I think, is what I want to make before I die.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
I want to become a well accomplished physicist who excels in either Chemical Physics or Theoretical Physics or a Mechanical Engineer who transfers to Aerospace Engineering the next two final years of university. But I'm not even sure if I'll be able to get to study either as I have a prerequisite mark yet to be known. I'm really not confident in seeing that either.

Of course, I'll be fine with my Plan B (Financial Mathematics, which I've got accepted to). I'll just have to do some more research on where it'd take me and what I can do with that kind of degree.

Top Bottom