• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you look forward to/fear in the upcoming patch?

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
So with the new balance patch announced, how do you guys think this will affect Dedede? What buffs are you hoping he will get? Do you fear that he might get a nerf? What other characters do you want to recieve a nerf/boost?

Edit: Seeing as though the Mewtwo patch has passed, talk about what you want to see in the Lucas patch!

Last edited:

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
I don't see a nerf at all coming. If anything an indirect nerf could be that Dedede loses to Lucas judging from the current Ness/Dedede matchup.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Will he get buffed? Hard to say after he got nerfed last time; the wider English-speaking community seems to unanimously have him in the bottom ten characters, but he is a solid mid-tier in the latest SHI-G (Japanese) tier list and I have no idea what his For Glory record is like but I imagine Dedede can be a bit cheesy online just by throwing out hitboxes that are a lot safer / easier to hit than they should be. I'd also take a stab and say they try to balance for one-player modes and free-for-alls as well and I have no idea how Dedede plays there.

It also depends on how 'good' the development team want their characters to be; for all we know they envisioned a game where every character is as good as Diddy Kong is now, or as bad as Zelda is, but judging by the direction of the last balance patch and the law of averages they're probably trying to get the characters to be about as good as the current mid-tiers which could mean anything from unchanged to large re-scaling i.e. 1.0.4 Ike.

If anything he should be indirectly buffed through the current top-tiers becoming more manageable (and hopefully they don't overbuff any characters to take their place). I can't really see any changes to his attack / movement speed (although I would love for fair to autocancel in a short-hop) so we might see just some damage / knockback changes (a kill throw would be nice :3)

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I'm honestly not expecting any buffs, but I am honestly worried for more Gordo nerfs. Since they get all the information for patches and such from For Glory, and since we all know the spiked cheese that Dedede wannabes throw out on For Glory, it is concerning.

But I don't know. I wouldn't mind any buffs, but I think I'd prefer if he stayed exactly the same, and everyone else got nerfed around him. That's my hope, at least.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Buff Hopes:
  • Raise Gordo reflect percents to 4-5% - forcing opponents to commit to reflects just as D3 does. The Gordo Volley game is a perfect fit for the character, and this change would make it perfect for the game in turn.
  • Ftilt should reliably clank with weak projectiles, like Jab does.
  • Jab 2 safer on block. We don't have a fast Jab, but should at least be able to competitively threaten/fish with it.
  • Switch/lessen the endlags of Bair and Fair. More lag to the bigger kill move, and D3 needs a better way to threaten while facing forward.
  • Less lag on Inhale, a la Koopa Klaw. It should be great mixup option, instead it's forced to be a rare/punishable move.
  • Not that it would change its viability too much: increase the hitbox, knockback, and shield drain of DownB. Fully charged, it should shieldbreak and hit everyone on the ledge, not just some.
Fix Hopes:
  • the Umash initial swing, Fair, and Bair hitboxes have holes and need to match animations. Dsmash might have holes too when characters are ultra close, that might just be me.
  • Of course: the "stuck" Gordo glitch common in D3 mirror matches.
Likely Reality: ****ing nothing.

Happy Easter, ya'll!

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I can't name any buffs or nerfs that I'd like Dedede to have. To be honest, he's already perfect; As for his For Glory record, believe it or not, I win most of my mach-ups with Dedede. I've got a good For Glory record of 76% wins, so I honestly hope Dedede won't get a major nerf.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Inb4 you only need to deal 1% to reflect Gordo. ;_;

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
More aerial mobility (just so we can be less vulnerable to the god forsaken hoo ha) would be nice, but I don't think it's happening.

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
I don't think anything will happen. Raising the gordo reflect % would probably be too drastic of a change since it would confuse a lot of players who had gotten used to the reflect with almost anything mechanic. I think the most likely thing we'd see is a tiny decrease in lag on a few of his moves.

Personally, my hope is that fair and inhale get a slight ending lag decrease. I think that would be reasonable. But like I said, I think by far the most likely change we see is no change at all.

I'd be shocked if he got any nerfs.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Honestly I just wish Jet Hammer had a purpose. I want some general buffs like slightly less lag on fair/bair, better hitboxes on aerials, less lag on inhale, and for the Gordo reflect percents to be changed...but it saddens me such a cool move is also so absolutely useless.

I'm a bit spoiled by PM Dedede having such a good version of Jet Hammer, I suppose. But really I guess we just need a bigger hitbox on jet hammer, that comes out faster and hits just a little harder.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Besides the obvious Gordo Bur fix...

Hmm. I agree. Make Gordos just a bit harder to reflect. Even bringing it to having to be above 3 or 4 would help him deal with some projectile characters better. 6-7 would be ideal though.

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
Maybe a bit more knockback on his F-throw or B-throw and U-tilt. Only problem I have sometimes is getting a KO, so I personally don't need much changed.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Now that I think about it, his Jab will probably change a bit, due to the infinite. That could be a good or bad thing. It could suck them in just a bit more, which will be good because it'll make more character grabbable from the edge of the hammer.

Or it could just spit them out more...which would suck.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Now that I think about it, his Jab will probably change a bit, due to the infinite. That could be a good or bad thing. It could suck them in just a bit more, which will be good because it'll make more character grabbable from the edge of the hammer.

Or it could just spit them out more...which would suck.
DON'T JINX THE PATCH DUDE

But D3's Jab isn't an infinite. There's tons of time for people to airdodge, DI away, etc. Not even Fox's or Link's jabs are true infinites either - D3's much less.

Really though, it's almost not even worth speculating about. If we're incredibly lucky with the patch: they increase the Gordo reflect %, and give us some better aerial lag frames. If we're realistic: they do nothing.

And if we're unlucky: they make the Gordo just automatically reflect itself back at you. You hit side B and D3 just hits himself in the face with a spike ball.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Honestly, I'd just be happy if they made it so his mouth wasn't always gaping. They look like glorified yellow lips.
Why can't he look more like he does in Triple Deluxe? He looks wonderfully grumpy in that game. ;_;

Anyhow, gordo fix plz.

Genghis_Connor

Smash Cadet
NNID
Genghis_Connor27
3DS FC
4356-1827-2712
inb4 Fox lasers reflect gordos and dthrow get an even more ridiculously bad launch angle and even higher knockback growth

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
They should turn his forward smash into a shield breaker. That wouldn't fix his weaknesses, but it would certainly help.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Honestly, I'd just be happy if they made it so his mouth wasn't always gaping. They look like glorified yellow lips.
Why can't he look more like he does in Triple Deluxe? He looks wonderfully grumpy in that game. ;_;

Anyhow, gordo fix plz.
Nahhh I love D3's expressions, he always looks happy but at the same time scheming the opponent's demise. Kinda like Villager but less creepy and more mischievous.

The only time he's not smiling is when he's getting hit, which is a "y u do dis" face lol

D3 needs a kill throw before 150, I'm not asking for much just maybe back throw killing at 120 or so. Maybe re buff the damage a gordo can take before reflecting to 3%, and cut some of the cooldown off inhale and I'm pretty content with the character.

Last edited:

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
I hope the fair hitbox is made a bit bigger to match the hammer. It's so weird that it's smaller than the size of the hammer. But maybe that's asking a bit too much, DDD already has really good edgeguarding.

But I absolutely think the ending lag on inhale needs to be decreased. If Dedede gets that buff and nothing else I'll be thrilled. That's the most obvious buff he needs IMO.

I can dream of the gordo threshold going back up so not almost everything reflects it but I know that won't happen. If they reduced the reflect damage on DDD that'd make me happy.

I would love to Jet Hammer to be buffed so its useful in 1v1 but that'd probably make it OP in FFAs. I'm OK with it being useless in 1v1 for that reason.

If they give DDD any nerfs I'm going to be really upset and suprised. I don't think they will, but if they nerf Upair, Ftilt or Dtilt the king may plummet from the mid to the lower tiers.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Patch is live.

From what I can tell they changed the way Jab2 cancels into Jab1 / dtilt; trying to do these with the same timing as before results in going into rapid jab. But I might just be an idiot so would like a second opinion...

Ignore.

Last edited:

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Patch is live.

From what I can tell they changed the way Jab2 cancels into Jab1 / dtilt; trying to do these with the same timing as before results in going into rapid jab. But I might just be an idiot so would like a second opinion...

Can confirm jab cancel is not nerfed. Still works all forms of it dtilt dsmash grab and even rarely utilt

Also seems Nair sourspot got nerfed from 8% to 7%? Watching older videos and seeing Nair SS do 8% and now it's doing 7%...

Last edited:

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Thank you you are right that was just me being bad at jab cancel lol.

Other than that I don't notice any damage / knockback changes on any moves apart from uthrow it seems?

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
This may be patch placebo. Probably is. But...

Has anyone tested the Super Dedede Jump yet? I think it's lost some kill power.

Edit: I think it's just that the only times I use it as an attack, I tend to have lots of rage.
Though it does seem to feel different...literally. I think they reduced the controller vibration it causes or something.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Well, since the Mewtwo patch is now live, and there is already another thread for the changes to Dedede by Soul Train, I guess the question should now be, what buffs would you like to see in the Lucas patch? This thread may not retain its activity, but there still could be people that want to share their thoughts. Might as well update the question. I put an edit in the OP

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I want super armor for crouch.
Yeees.

For my casual customs, I put crouch healer on him, just because...well, CROUCH HEALER DEDEDE.

If they added something like that officially, well...the best crouch ever just got better.

Top Bottom