• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do when your Waddles get beasted by projectiles?

UltimateShinigami

Smash Journeyman
Currently in da StL, but home in Ft Lauderdale eve
I'm sure all of you have noticed that D3's waddle dees/doos are great meat shields against projectile spammers, but some character's projectiles send the little buggers flying too far to absorb more than one attack, leaving you open to the continued spams. Wolf's lazers do this, and most annoyingly, Lucario's spheres do it.

I played my friend offline for the first time the other day and he mains Lucario. basically, he goes to the edge of whatever stage, charges his sphere, and continues to spam them. If i try to jump over them and hit him from the front, I get shield-grabbed, if I try to go behind him and b-air, I get down smashed or even grabbed on occasion! So if I finally decide to wait for him to get bored of spamming my throwing out waddles, the smallest sphere blows them away and he can shoot faster than I can toss them.

How can I approach my very campy/spammy friend?

Drack

Smash Apprentice
Ahh, the classic projectile spam + shieldgrab turtling strategy. There are lots of counters.

-Jump twice before throwing your waddle and twice after to throw it at him over his spheres and land out of range again (or behind him). Gordos come 10% of the time and WILL hit a spammer, don't forget that.

-Hang out on the ledge where his spheres can't reach you.

-Mix up your aerial approaches. You can doublejump dair doublejump such that you don't get shieldgrabbed. You can use your last doublejump to turn around behind him and inhale. BE CREATIVE.

-You have 4 doublejumps. You can stall over him as he sits in his shield trying to shieldgrab you. As it shrinks he may panic and roll at which point you can techchase with landing and ftilt or if you're lucky, grab and start your chaingrab. Lucario is an easy target for Dedede's chaingrab.

-Your Ftilt will CANCEL Lucario's aura spheres, regardless of charge. Also you can spam it faster than his aura sphere and walk forward while cancelling everything. Awesome.

You have options.

yoshi_friend

Smash Apprentice
if he isnt that smart, you can try a short hop into swallow while he tries to shield your attack. That will make him afraid of shielding so much so you can hit him with more offense.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
Yes. Also I edited my post with one of the best tricks ever that I didn't think of earlier:
- Your Ftilt will CANCEL Lucario's aura spheres, regardless of charge. Also you can spam it faster than his aura sphere and walk forward while cancelling everything. Awesome.

Rainbow TroUt

Smash Cadet
I'm fairly certain throwing a waddle at his projectile will stop it to. You can jump throw waddles over his spheres or jump throw and shield. Also hitting him with a jump throed waddle while he's charging will make him lose all his current build up and he'll need to start over.

yoshi_friend

Smash Apprentice
so i can inhale him through a shield like wario's bite and bowsers forward B?
yea. then he'll be afraid to keep shielding you like that.
also, you can just keep throwing your waddles and hope a gordo comes out. that'll go through his aura sphere, and make him afraid of always spamming.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
it's also worth noting that, since Lucario's aura is better at high percentages, it's perfectly resonable to do suicidal attempts to kill Lucario before his aura gets humongous. I'd suggest using the bair to get him of the edge with you, and then eith use B to suck him up, or up-B to spike him down.

yoshi_friend

Smash Apprentice
lucario has range with many moves, but his smashes are slow, so you should be pretty safe just approaching and getting up close.

yossarian22

Smash Journeyman
Don't even bother waddle spamming him.
Just advance with f-tilt. If he shields, just keep poking him with ftilt.

Top Bottom