• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do when you get dismantled by an opponent?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Someone who knows how to read your every move and punish it, doesn't risk being punished because they know you're being evasive and overly cautious, and maintains stage control throughout the match? You're running out of options and just getting bodied left and right. Even when you're supposed to mix it up, you're having a hard time being able to experiment out of the subliminal fear that risk will cause you to get punished, thus relying on your old habits. Also, getting pressured isn't helping.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Take the loss, save the replay and rewatch it. It's a lot easier to spot what you're personally doing wrong and what your opponent is doing right when you can watch it disconnected while not playing. It's usually a dumb mistake or a predictable game plan that you'll be able to notice upon re watching

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Take mental notes. This has happened to me several times, and with repeated match's I do better each fight due to the mental notes I've taken. Recall what you do that works, what you do that doesn't work. Take note of how they recover based on what you do (if you can even get them off stage). You've got to remember all of this stuff to recover from those situations.

Unfortunately for me, I can't do this for long periods of time. I get mental fatigue from it faster than I do when I'm just using instinct to play.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Take mental notes. This has happened to me several times, and with repeated match's I do better each fight due to the mental notes I've taken. Recall what you do that works, what you do that doesn't work. Take note of how they recover based on what you do (if you can even get them off stage). You've got to remember all of this stuff to recover from those situations.

Unfortunately for me, I can't do this for long periods of time. I get mental fatigue from it faster than I do when I'm just using instinct to play.
Mental fatigue is a thing. I stopped an hour later than I should have. At least I got two back-to-back wins before I lost one more and then stopped. I switched to Mega Man and started doing a little better.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
It will depend on how my mental state is. If I'm slightly irritated during the match, I'll try to calm myself as I return Ike to neutral in the hope that my calmed state will let me see stuff I wouldn't normally. If I'm getting mad the entire match, I'll try to use the in between match character select as a time to calm down and try again. If a couple matches go by and I have a hard time, I'll move on to a different opponent and see if I can adapt there. (sometimes a different Match Up helps.)

If that don't help, then I'm just too far gone to calm and turn it off. I'd not want to waste more of my time just getting more agitated, as it will lead to my night getting ruined, my daughter or wife getting mad at me and my energy getting drained.

Saying that, I can see you switching up your character helping. It's related to me fighting a different person to try my luck with a different Match Up, but with both variables getting changed.

3870x2

Smash Rookie
NNID
3870x2
3DS FC
2852-8211-0162
I beat 90%+ of the opponents I come across, but I only have a 54% win rate. I will never quit when being beat by an opponent. I don't learn anything when I win. Most people that lose to me leave after 2-3 games, but people who are much better than me stay for 20-40 games. There was a meta knight and a bowser in the last week alone that I lost to something like 50 losses and 1 win.

Let me tell you something about this meta knight and Bowser. I learned more from these two guys than I have in the last month. I want to thank them for staying in the game, because if I win more than 2-3 games I quit to find another opponent.

Saying you got dismantled by an opponent is an absolute falsity. It is just the opposite, that opponent is actually piecing you together as a better player.

Now if I could just do something about these anger issues...

Edit: Like seriously, what do you guys do about anger issues? take a break? stress ball?

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I beat 90%+ of the opponents I come across, but I only have a 54% win rate. I will never quit when being beat by an opponent. I don't learn anything when I win. Most people that lose to me leave after 2-3 games, but people who are much better than me stay for 20-40 games. There was a meta knight and a bowser in the last week alone that I lost to something like 50 losses and 1 win.

Let me tell you something about this meta knight and Bowser. I learned more from these two guys than I have in the last month. I want to thank them for staying in the game, because if I win more than 2-3 games I quit to find another opponent.

Saying you got dismantled by an opponent is an absolute falsity. It is just the opposite, that opponent is actually piecing you together as a better player.

Edit: Like seriously, what do you guys do about anger issues? take a break? stress ball?
What works against anger is different for each person, but it all comes to some sort of meditation. The act of a stress ball is to give you mind something repetitive to alleviate anger via distraction, for example. I learned deep breathing meditation when I was a saxophonist during my primary and secondary school days for pre-performance anxiety, but it has worked very well for anger and other emotional states that effects the body. I can go into more detail about it if your curious.

What usually gets me isn't the anger though, but frustration. That is an emotion I find effects the mind, and is something I haven't found meditation to work with too well. I'll honestly say I'm still struggling with it, but what I mentioned above is what I do when it's too much for me to handle. (It's incremental checks to see where I am.) I have to remind myself that you are never truly 'bodied' if you have a clear state of mind, since every attack is escapable and every defense has a flaw that can be exploited. My first state 'If I'm slightly irritated during the match, I'll try to calm myself as I return Ike to neutral in the hope that my calmed state will let me see stuff I wouldn't normally.' is an attempt to try to tie clearing my mind of frustration with the automated response of my character returning to a neutral (and thus with all options available) state. Much like using a stress ball uses a repetitive and automated motion to do the same. It hasn't worked all the time for me, but I'm currently looking into whether it's because the technique doesn't work or because I haven't seen enough progress in it yet to have the effect be faster acting. (Which is something I've recognized with the deep breathing meditation, that the more I used it the more I noticed it working faster as time went on)

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Cussing/screaming outloud and taking a break works most of the time for me lol. or find another opponent and hope for the best.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice

As far as anger towards the game goes I just let it pass back out of online for 5 minutes, grab a beer or something and just start playing again when I feel at ease. It'll always be an uphill battle of your mind isn't in the right state

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
I never tried to get angry when I play online or when I get outplayed because getting angry only makes things worse,charging in recklessly and not adapting to what my opponent is doing only gets me massacred.

As for getting dismantle when that happens,I jot notes in my head and play the next match thinking "okay this isn't working I need to switch it up"

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
I try to figure out their patterns or play style and use a character that I think will counter what they do. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What I don't get is how these types of players seem to know exactly what I am about to do, where I am going to go, even when I mix it up or try to play mind games. And at times these guys get overconfident. (Like trying to kill offstage with a spike/meteor smash and sometimes die for it, or run across the whole stage to grab me) And what I don't get is, sometimes their moves that I thought had lag/cool down time to take advantage of, they seem to be able to go into another move right away.

And sometimes I question why do these kinds of players bother to play For Glory if they can beat almost anyone on it. And worse, when they win, they often make you feel like you're unskilled. Either by taunting or changing their name to something like "You Suck". Doesn't matter if you're above average in skill like me with 80% win rate. They act like they are better than everyone.

Maybe I have to save the replays to see where I went wrong, but I don't really like saving replays of matches where I lose.

I am watching videos of players and guides on YouTube to learn more, to hopefully help me out. And I feel like I have to learn every character so I have a better chance to know their weaknesses, combo potential, stage pressure.

Totally Casual

Smash Cadet
See if my secondary does any better. Lose. Leave. Sulk.

I'm not really cut out for the whole 'better yourself' thing.

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
The easiest way, you don't. :)

I unfortunately do, but I try to keep a level head and try to see what I'm doing wrong that allows them to punish me so well. In most cases, it usually helps me win or at least get closer to winning against them but if I continue getting decimated after two matches, I leave. My low self-esteem can only take so much.

Top Bottom