• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do when a salty smash player fires at you?

KGgames

Smash Cadet
NNID
MitsySueG24
Censor Dodging Warning
It seems people can't get a break from salty overconfident think they are the absolute crap on For Glory (and sometimes For Fun).

So, I wanted to know how you would react...

Personally, I would just leave the match after winning the previous match.

BTW, here's a video of an unfortunate situation this player encountered...

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I've said it in many posts before, and I'll mention it again: I tend to mimic what the other person does usually. Long as they're respectful I will be as well. I don't taunt if they don't. They start taunting, tea-bagging, whatever then I will gladly do the same.

I just don't see the need to be respectful to someone who obviously chooses not to be respectful themselves. I want to enjoy the game and be able to have fun. There's really no need to ruin it for everyone else, especially considering the fact that new players along with young kids go online to play and just have fun, maybe even improve. They don't need to be belittled for their efforts.

Now, I have created some responses to salty tags and only use them when the situation truly calls for it. I never do it unprovoked.

As in if someone chooses to continually throw salty tags out and continue to make themselves look like rude idiots. My favorite ones to use is simply "LOL" and "K", especially "K". Throwing that out for every salty tag seems to make the other side twice as salty sometimes. It's great. I also have "InSALTed?" and "NaCl" to respond with. I'd rather not use these at all, but hey... Sometimes the other side needs to take their own medicine and it's often funny to see them seethe with rage because they can't take what they dish out to others.

In short simply be respectful and you'll get it back, otherwise expect the same rudeness back that you dish out.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I've said it in many posts before, and I'll mention it again: I tend to mimic what the other person does usually. Long as they're respectful I will be as well. I don't taunt if they don't. They start taunting, tea-bagging, whatever then I will gladly do the same.

I just don't see the need to be respectful to someone who obviously chooses not to be respectful themselves. I want to enjoy the game and be able to have fun. There's really no need to ruin it for everyone else, especially considering the fact that new players along with young kids go online to play and just have fun, maybe even improve. They don't need to be belittled for their efforts.

Now, I have created some responses to salty tags and only use them when the situation truly calls for it. I never do it unprovoked.

As in if someone chooses to continually throw salty tags out and continue to make themselves look like rude idiots. My favorite ones to use is simply "LOL" and "K", especially "K". Throwing that out for every salty tag seems to make the other side twice as salty sometimes. It's great. I also have "InSALTed?" and "NaCl" to respond with. I'd rather not use these at all, but hey... Sometimes the other side needs to take their own medicine and it's often funny to see them seethe with rage because they can't take what they dish out to others.

In short simply be respectful and you'll get it back, otherwise expect the same rudeness back that you dish out.
I'm very similar to you in my method of response. Respectful until provoked.

One of my response tags is "That's it?" Implying that neither their skills NOR their words are enough to have any effect on me as an opponent. I'm thinking of adding an additional tag: "Prove it." If they say I suck, I say prove it, they lose, they get salty, I say "that's it?" They quit, I laugh and continue on my merry way.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
Here's the simple mature solution
IGNORE IT
Are you 12 years old? If not then you should be able to ignore it just fine

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Here's the simple mature solution
IGNORE IT
Are you 12 years old? If not then you should be able to ignore it just fine
Being mature AND playing this game? You're obviously asking for the impossible.

On a serious note, I'm sure a lot of people can't tolerate being mocked and provoked endlessly.

The average person can only "ignore" so much until they reach a breaking point.

D

Deleted member

It depends.
If we are talking about a tournament setting, I try my best to ignore it and let it not bring me down. I will also try to not get salty myself because in some ways, I think that it will make me look like a bad person if I let out rage and whatnot.
Also related, if I am fighting against someone online and they are trying to practice with me (and talk to me via Skype), I try my best to stay calm and collected and try to calm them down. (unless I get insulted; if that happens, I just leave)

If we are talking about For Glory, most of the time I will just leave. If the player isn't going to respect me or dismiss me because of the character I play, then why should I respect them? I don't actively try to make players salty because I think that I might stoop very low; I could go for the disrespect, but I wouldn't do something like actively duck or taunt.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I don't do it for salt, I just tend to taunt whenever I get a KO. Bad habit from casual play, I guess. I don't really mean any disrespect by it, I just sort of do it after every KO unless I have something better to be doing like charging a special move or repositioning myself on the battlefield.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I respond with a couple humiliating beatings followed with my own taunts and insults

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I just ignore them. I don't deal with their ****. That's their own ****in' problem.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Don't react. Just be the bigger person and go on, or quit if it concerns you.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
It is mostly children that do this. They lack foresight or the emotional control needed to have a good game.
All children must be punished.
All children must be disciplined.
All children must obey.

manrangan

Smash Cadet
NNID
manrangan
3DS FC
1289-8629-2870
Switch FC
SW-8204-8475-7607
I laugh to myself about what a scrub they are, then I just continue with my business.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
No Johns, unless it was laggy

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
You can feel a certain type of way about a certain situation, but, in honor of the spirit of competition , you must control yourself, keep calm, congratulate your opponent, and reflect on your game.

Basically:
Hold it in.
And ***** about it on smash boards later.

Khao

Smash Lord
I just find the For Glory "tag flaming" culture to be hilarious in general. It's funny because there's actually people who really feel the need to insult their opponent after a match for some reason. It's funny because there's actually people who get seriously offended at getting insulted by the tags. It's funny because some people do it jokingly and the attitude is funny by itself so it's a successful joke. It's funny because some people do it as a joke and still some people will get offended at it. It's funny because people spend a lot of effort making their silly tags and a lot of people don't even care what you call them on your freaking tag name.

I say don't even ignore it. Just enjoy the ride, because it's ****ing hilarious for several reasons.

GigaPaul

Smash Rookie
NNID
Paul_SSJGod
3DS FC
5327-1884-5377
I continue playing. I don't really care about this stuff...

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
It's certainly not fun or enjoyable when the 'salty' player decides to insult you with racial slurs. Not something that I can just laugh off or ignore. No matter how childish or sensitive this will make me look, I will always make a point to call these people out. Ignoring it is basically making it seem okay for them to go and do the same to the next person. Sometimes it's like wow, this is literally a tag that someone made for this exact situation.

Then of course there's the less extreme ones where they say how you suck or something. That's like whatever. I'll put up 'LOL' or 'Bye' etc. then leave them. I mean why stay with someone who's going to continually insult me through the tags when there's plenty of people who put up GGs or say nothing? I certainly don't get the humor of people who just do it for kicks or some joke either.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Play more matches, Make'em MORE salty. Especially if they became salty because you start winning more matches than them, and especially-especially if they bust out a racist tag.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I just ignore it and leave. If the guy doesn't want to play then I'm doing us both a favor by leaving the match.

Seriously though, these FG scrubs shouldn't be taken so seriously, they're the equivalent of youtube comments. They're people that ignorantly bark tons of nothing because they have a keyboard (or a controller in this case) to hide behind. Pay those cowards no mind and move on to the next guy.

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
90% of the time, I actually leave as soon as I see them change there name to an insult.... The fun is removed from the matches if I stay and play again because I know if they get a stock, I will be assaulted by taunts and tea bags...

If I stay, I just continue playing without responding, taunting or teabagging.

Some cases pending how badly I win, I'll switch to Little Mac to pour more salt in there wound. Little Mac is my secondary majn, and its always fun to show my salty opponent by playing a very patient style of little Mac.

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
I like to open up the symbolic salt shaker and just pour salt all over the wound. I have a few stories I could share, all amusing ones, but I'll just share two - one recent and one older one.

The more recent one I was goofing off on FG and ran into a decent Ike player. I always go for grabs when my opponent is at low % to rack up damage. I 2-stocked the guy that match and back on the CSS he changed his tag to "Grab *****" lel. I changed mine to "U Mad?" and then to a smiley face before starting the next match. He went Samus and I immediately jumped over his projectile party and grabbed. Got his damage up to like 51% from nothing but juggles and continued to do nothing but grab -> U-throw until he was well over kill %, then landed a B-air after baiting out an air dodge. I then taunted, dash danced, and ran to the opposite end of the stage and started spamming the grab button for a full 6 seconds. Rinsed and repeated until I took his second stock and spammed my squats :v then changed my tag to "rekt". Did the same thing the next match and afterwards changed my name to "Lucario" "Is" "Sexy" and then to "bye c:" and then left :v

The older one I was screwing around in For Glory and fought the cockiest little kid I've ever run in to. He only won our first one (I was Falcon, whom I'm bad with =P I like using him when I'm goofing off), after which he changed his name to "U-Suck (I'll leave this part out)" I had already switched to Little Mac for more kicks and giggles but I decided if he stuck around I'd whip out Luky and have some fun. I managed to (barely) win as Mac and he changed his name to "Git Gud". I figure he was probably sore from losing to Mac. Whether or not that was the case, I changed my name to "Karma, son" I then changed it to "Lol Umad?" Decided to trash talk him right back =P

It was show time now; I switched to Lucario and rekt his sorry little butt 12 ways through the month of May for the following two matches (I 2-stocked him both rounds). I was squat spamming all over the place, throwing out taunts, and dash dancing every time I knocked him off the stage. He was Dedede and tried to DDD-cide me (I don't remember if that's the proper name for it or what), but I managed to break free and land completely back on stage before he even died. After this round I changed my name to "haha", "GIT GUD", and "Try harder".

It was obvious he was getting mad, the trash talk had stopped and in the next match his insanely aggressive and predictable Jigglypuff play just made it more evident (he STILL didn't land a single KO on me). He managed to get me with Jiggs' lullaby move, but even that wasn't enough. I woke up in time and spot-dodged the rest attempt and began squat spamming again before punishing his rest attempt. Continued to lay down the smackdown until I read his roll and let out a side smash, killing him. Of course I taunted when this happened =w=

Back on the CSS he hadn't even bothered to change his name; he was already set for another round, but I had had my fun. Changed my name to "Pathetic" "Git Gud" "Keep trying" "See ya c:" and then left. Should've changed my name to "Saved replay" as well for extra salt rubbing, but I was almost out of time so I just went ahead and left x3

Top Bottom