• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do when a character is directly behind you?

TmHm

Smash Rookie
This is not really tournament-related question. When we have smash parties in our dorm, we usually do four person ffa and I'm having a really hard time when four people are on a very small stage and someone comes from behind. With characters like ROB, I just do a d-smash, but all three pkmn have very slow d-smashes that are easily punishable. Moreover, there is really no way to roll away since other players are within an inch of your battle. How can I do?

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
I would just do a shield roll away backwards.

If you are Charzy, you can dash backwards pretty nicely. He moves well for this. This this twice and you can get yourself clear of those behind you usually.

If you are Squirtle, just get airborne and jump backwards. If someone jumps up to try and stop you, do a backwards A. Same with Ivy, jump up and if someone wants to say "hello", back air them.

The down smashes aren't that slow, and aren't that punishable for Charzy and Squirt. I agree Ivy's can be slow, but it will work if you start it in anticipation soon enough.

One trick you might try with Squirtle is to start shell shifting which can put you in different directions and you can attack out of the shell shift.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Tim.

Dont play FFA.

Tell your friends whats up.

Its all about 1v1 or 2v2.

Dont waste your time with FFA unless its for fun, therer really isnt much skill punchnig others in the back its just mainly luck.

The best way to win FFA is to run away and stall which is boring.

TmHm

Smash Rookie
Tim.

Dont play FFA.

Tell your friends whats up.

Its all about 1v1 or 2v2.

Dont waste your time with FFA unless its for fun, therer really isnt much skill punchnig others in the back its just mainly luck.

The best way to win FFA is to run away and stall which is boring.
Well yeah it's mostly for fun since very few people are really into tournament-style rigor here in my college (with a few exceptions). Thanks for all the suggestions, and I do agree that pt doesn't have a really spammable d-smash that can punish everyone.

Toby.

Smash Master
With charizard the fastest offensive option is to turn around and jab. If you use all three jabs it will also hit them if they spotdodge. If they are slightly out of range for that, you can use bair with will also allow you to retreat if things are getting uncomfortable.

With squirtle jabs or ftilt are fine. Dsmash is way too risky. A rising dair or bair are also fast and effective methods of getting them off you.

With ivysuar using nair out of shield is good. If they are too far away for that then bair is a pretty obvious choice as well. I wouldn't recommend bullet seed in FFA, it'll get you attacked by the other players.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Well onxy i was thinking ftilt would be good because of its nice range and good startup time...i wasn't thinking of a situation where the opponent is already right on your *** anyway, in which case ivy is probably already screwed.

anyway someone mentioned short hop bair, and i think that's the best way to keep someone off you from behind.

Toby.

Smash Master
Yesss!

The Ultimate Plan
You lure the other two over there by bullet seeding the first one. As they approach you end the attack early, so that when they get there you can use it again and launch everybody. Of course while they are stuck it would be mandatory to laugh manically and scream out "And they said I was mad! Who's mad now?!".

That could just be me though.

Ivysaur for God Tier?

Edit. steeler: indeed. I think the idea is that there are people in front and behind you, which would give nair a bit of an edge depending on which characters they are using.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Turn around jabs with Charizard are the most reliable. If its just one person then what you do is dash away then come back and grab them. That needs some amount of time before of anticipation, though.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Yeah with Ivy, never Ftilt when they are on you. It has very good range, but that's the reason they DI behind you. Ivy projects herself sort of, and that's why that happens. A Bair, or a Nair can solve that sometimes.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Rolling away is something you can do with anyone if someone is behind you. With Ivy, I would pivot grab or shorthop N-air towards my opponent. And with Zard, I'd reverse jabs, pivot grab, or reverse d-tilt or f-tilt. With Squartle, I would reverse jabs, reverse f-tilt, up-tilt (if they are close enough), or short hop d-air.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Jabs with Ivysaur can possibly solve this problem because they will reset spacing, although Dtilt will be much more reliable (Some characters can attack between the slower jabs).

Bair for general repulsion, Ftilt is one of Ivysaur's more "aggresive" moves.

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
so let me get the situation correct, the opponent is coming from the behind and your facing the opposite way?

um.. lets see.. if you can see them coming
Charizard:
dash forward and dash back to front grab
dash forward, turn around rocksmash

Ivysaur:
dash forward turn around fsmash(charge)
auto cancellend bair into a full jump bair

Squirtle:
directionally influenced nair
oh and dair goes over certain downsmashes
hydroplane

blueshirt314

Smash Cadet
Can't you just USmash with Squirtle? It's better in almost every situation than Squirtle's DSmash.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Pivot grab with Ivy? Yay! A use for it!

See I find uses for everything! Thank god I exist.... XD

Onxy

Smash Lord
Jeez, at least someone should read my possible use for the pivot grab.

Top Bottom