• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do AFTER the hoo-haa?

JipC

Smash Journeyman
How many haa's are guarenteed after a hoo? What's the best way to DI, and at low%s can you just mash airdodge and get out of the haa chain? Is it dependent on weight and fall speed?

Not really sure if this should've been posted on the Diddy board so my bad if this isnt the right place.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Don't mash airdodge, you will die. DI up and away at kill percent, up and towards at mid percents, away and whatever at low percents. Mash jump (or Mario's nair). Only 1 uair is ever guaranteed as far as I'm aware, if you're getting hit by more you're probably not DIing correctly.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
According to M2K, you want to always DI upwards at low percents because if you DI horizontally, Diddy can get 3 u-airs.

Luigi player

Smash Master
If you DI the throw and the followup correctly you shouldn't die from it.
-> Sometimes Diddy can followup with uair even if he's at low % and you're at higher ones, which seems troublesome. BUT, if you DI correctly you should survive the uair. Sometimes he can follow up with fair, but you should also be able to survive that, unless maybe you're at the edge of the stage (where a f/bthrow could've KOd as well).
I haven't tried DIing up, but DIing behind Diddy had these results. If you have more % (and/or he has mid+ %) Diddy can often only follow up with fair.

This all depends on your DI, Diddys % (rage) and your %.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
According to M2K, you want to always DI upwards at low percents because if you DI horizontally, Diddy can get 3 u-airs.
I don't think this is right.

I don't see any difference when I DI upwards vs no DI. At least not in the low percents. When I get back from work I'll test higher % and more in depth but I'm 90% sure right now DI up does nothing.

Last edited:

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
I don't think this is right.

I don't see any difference when I DI upwards vs no DI. At least not in the low percents. When I get back from work I'll test higher % and more in depth but I'm 90% sure right now DI up does nothing.
ur right, it does nothing, maybe m2k said that when vectoring still existed so it doesnt apply now

Zinfu

Smash Rookie
If someone d-throws to up air when you're at low percents, rejoice, as it stales and reduces it's potency drastically. U-air is only a threat if it can kill. D-throw to double b-air is much stronger at low percents(haven't tested the exact numbers but starting at <10%-25% you can d throw to double b-air and single b-air up to mid 60%) b-air also strings very well, against bad players you can hit 4-6 depending on if you can read them. A lot of times you can get in 3 versus good players. D-throw to fair is also strong and the length of time the hitboxes stay out makes it very easy to connect with even if they air dodge. The only time you should really worry about u-air is above 80%, sure it does decent damage however using it to rack up early game damage is a large waste to it's killing potency and really its biggest threat. U-air is so dangerous because of the fact that if un-staled it kills medium weight characters at 95% and the hoo-haa combo forces a reaction and really it's about a 50% chance(depending on if you read your opponents reaction properly) to get a kill at 95%-130%(the kill percent is dependent on the weight, and DI of your opponent)

As for your question about is it dependent on weight and fall speed, yes. Like most things in Smash it is heavily dependent on weight, fall speed, and the DI of the player at higher percents. At 0% you are guaranteed 2 u-airs however as I said above if someone uses it that early, be relieved, they are most likely going to rid you of worry of one of their biggest threats.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
If someone d-throws to up air when you're at low percents, rejoice, as it stales and reduces it's potency drastically. U-air is only a threat if it can kill. D-throw to double b-air is much stronger at low percents(haven't tested the exact numbers but starting at <10%-25% you can d throw to double b-air and single b-air up to mid 60%) b-air also strings very well, against bad players you can hit 4-6 depending on if you can read them. A lot of times you can get in 3 versus good players. D-throw to fair is also strong and the length of time the hitboxes stay out makes it very easy to connect with even if they air dodge. The only time you should really worry about u-air is above 80%, sure it does decent damage however using it to rack up early game damage is a large waste to it's killing potency and really its biggest threat. U-air is so dangerous because of the fact that if un-staled it kills medium weight characters at 95% and the hoo-haa combo forces a reaction and really it's about a 50% chance(depending on if you read your opponents reaction properly) to get a kill at 95%-130%(the kill percent is dependent on the weight, and DI of your opponent)

As for your question about is it dependent on weight and fall speed, yes. Like most things in Smash it is heavily dependent on weight, fall speed, and the DI of the player at higher percents. At 0% you are guaranteed 2 u-airs however as I said above if someone uses it that early, be relieved, they are most likely going to rid you of worry of one of their biggest threats.
DI up, Air dodge. I think the Haa isn't guaranteed on Samus and floatier characters at any percent. Maybe someone can test that? The characters fall speeds are in this thread. G&W, Rosaluma, Kirby, Jiggly, Peach and Luigi are as floaty or floatier.

http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-fall-fast-fall-rankings.384660/

I also play Ness a bit and find I cannot escape as easily as Samus.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Pick a god and then pray.

Or, if you're playing Villager, use nair.

Pheno

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrieferPheno
3DS FC
2277-7164-2088
From what I know in the NorCal scene, we are known for having a fair amount of Diddy Kongs. I also play the character but never in tourney. From what Ive tried and have been told from others is that at low percent, you want to DI AWAY from Diddy (the direction your back is facing) and at high percent, DI TOWARDS him (as in point the stick the same direction his back is facing). At higher percents they won't be able to hit you with the up air at all unless you mess up pretty much which can happen if they pressure you and make you forget to DI or mix up the throws. Otherwise they can only follow up with fair once you get to I wanna say... around 80% or higher? This is all based off memory right now.

Top Bottom