• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do after a losing streak?

-NAFAN-

Smash Cadet
I was playing some matches against my friends Dr Mario (re skinned Mario, I guess) and I was on a terrible losing streak most of the night. I just kept getting more and more frustrated as I made more mistakes, but I refused to quit untill I won.

I was wondering, what do you guys do after a losing streak? Do you give up? continue playing? Go make pancakes?

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Well, generally, think about why you're losing if you're that determined to win. Are you spacing properly? Being predictable? Doing really dumb stuff like DA on shield against someone who's at the ledge with a character that gets gimped ez? Going for poor or risky edgeguards instead of covering ledge or vice versa in some scenarios?

There are far, far more things that you could be doing wrong that cause you to lose, so, after a loss, do a quick mental recap of the match and figure out what you REALLY screwed up on and should stop doing.

It sounds like friendlies to me. though, where you should generally test out things like secondaries, see if move y can beat out move x and so on.

$0.02

-NAFAN-

Smash Cadet
Well, generally, think about why you're losing if you're that determined to win. Are you spacing properly? Being predictable? Doing really dumb stuff like DA on shield against someone who's at the ledge with a character that gets gimped ez? Going for poor or risky edgeguards instead of covering ledge or vice versa in some scenarios?

There are far, far more things that you could be doing wrong that cause you to lose, so, after a loss, do a quick mental recap of the match and figure out what you REALLY screwed up on and should stop doing.

It sounds like friendlies to me. though, where you should generally test out things like secondaries, see if move y can beat out move x and so on.

$0.02
I spose I was doing a combination of all of these, guess I should have stopped for a bit and taken a step back.

James_TK

Smash Rookie
take a break. consider what you're doing wrong. whenever i find that i'm on a losing streak, i find it's because i'm playing on auto-pilot. in other words, i'll use the same approach without trying to bait+punish, or adapt to the way my opponent is playing neutral. i find that if i stop and take a 10-15 minute break just to relax, i'll come back playing much better even if i don't think very much at all about why i lost. if you're with your friends maybe recommend playing a different game for a bit, or go grab food or something.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I go to an orphanage and beat up orphans to get my rage out. Who are they gonna tell? Their parents?

Edit for srs:

In all actuality, sometimes I will have a day where, after a break I come in and play purposefully different then the last time I entered tourney. While doing things differently I make note of what works/doesnt work and add to my library of sorts on what to do and even mix up this new and old style in matches. Also, play EVERYONE you can, you never know what you can run into that may help your troubles elsewhere!

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I usually just try and spot what I'm getting punished for and what I'm not capitalizing on or whatever that's making me lose. Not like you're going to get better out of some sort of miracle. Just don't get frustrated, remember that you're playing for fun. So have fun, just keep your mistakes in mind and try out new things.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
1. Get depressed
2. Take a break
3. Get encouraged again
4. Try again
5. Repeat

Top Bottom