• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do about a spinning Luigi?

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
Played some Wi-Fi battles against a Luigi mainer during the night/early morning. He uses the spinning cyclone pretty much to move around the stage. How do you coounter him? I did somewhat badly, but I need some pointers. I don't have my laptop with me at the moment, but I can send replays via Wii if anyone would like to see them. I think Ivy did counter it somewhat, but Luigi seems to break through defenses and gets the drop on you. He likes to force you to shield so he can try to grab you. I couldn't get my Squirtle air game going too well, might have been due to the stress of the fight. Charizard seems too slow on rock smashes to counter for long.

I'm asking the pokemon trainer "elders" here for insight. This Luigi also likes to get in close and do the uppercut repeatedly along with the low sweep kicks. He also side smashes a lot, and he KOed Charzy at around 83%, which Charzy can't withstand his attack.

Tips?! O.O

My Marth fought the best as I was able to "special b-block" some of those smashes, but I still lost, but this guy has a lot of intense fighting experience.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
SHIELD GRAB THE TORNADO.

That is all. I mained Luigi for a stint, and found out he does not like getting shield grabbed.

Also, Luigi really lacks decent approaches in general, outside of Tornado. His run speed and horizontal aerial speed are average, at best.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Use Ivy and Zard to space and zone with Tilts, Razor Leaf, Flamethrower, and Rock smash. Use Squirt to kill with Fair, Upsmash and D-Throw to Kill.

Over all with Ivy and Zard you should be able to make Luigi approach you.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
stop playing online
The main reason I bought the game was because of online (and its free). Pikachu was the second reason. Pokemon Trainer came as a pleasant surprise to me. I'm an older than 20 something gamer so it would be harder for me to connect with people in my city who brawl. Online is my best option. I have had very good connections mainly, and even played a guy in the Netherlands with great connectivity. Surprising based on the distance.
SHIELD GRAB THE TORNADO.

That is all. I mained Luigi for a stint, and found out he does not like getting shield grabbed.

Also, Luigi really lacks decent approaches in general, outside of Tornado. His run speed and horizontal aerial speed are average, at best.
Use Ivy and Zard to space and zone with Tilts, Razor Leaf, Flamethrower, and Rock smash. Use Squirt to kill with Fair, Upsmash and D-Throw to Kill.

Over all with Ivy and Zard you should be able to make Luigi approach you.
thanks for the tips!

Though this guy anticipates rock smash, as he was breaking through. It was like rock smash had less effect unless he was deep in range. Might have to do with weight of Luigi.

Top Bottom