• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you consider a Cheap/Banned Move and will you play against it?

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Personally, by definition, Edge Guarding is cheap. Do I still do it? Yes.

But there are certain things that I just don't do because it pisses off my friends and I. And after a while, we just stop playing because of it. For instance, I've stopped playing as Fox/Falcon on Hyrule Temple and just spam lazers all day long. Its annoying and pisses my friends off. So I've stopped. Then again, my friends and I dont play competitively, we play for the sake of playing.

And Sheik's OverB in the air is beyond broken. There are no words for it.

Seriously.

I've looked.

Sanji

Smash Apprentice
Personally, by definition, Edge Guarding is cheap.
i dont consider something that both people can do with practice "cheap". If both people have the ability to perform the same move or do the same thing, how is that cheap?

there, i gave you my evidence that edge guarding is not cheap, so what will you say in defense of your arguement?

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
Kirby's taunt.

HIIIIIII
HIIIIIII
HIIIIIII
HIIIIIII
HIIIIIII
HIIIIIII
*SMASH*

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
Kirby's taunt.

HIIIIIII
HIIIIIII
HIIIIIII
HIIIIIII
HIIIIIII
HIIIIIII
*SMASH*
My friend plays Kirby sometimes and makes a habbit out of it to taunt whenever he can.
*Knocks me off stage*
HIIII
HIIII
HIIII
HIIII
*I come back*
*He grabs me and throws me away*
HIIIIIII
HIIIIIII
HIIIIIII
HIIIIIII

AAAARGH, theres just something about that taunt..

Kowz

Smash Journeyman
Everything has a counter in melee, and most likely, brawl, except for said techniques, and someone blaming you when you're on their team, that's cheap!

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Pikachu's Thunder.

My friend spams that technique.. Holy crap annoying..

Peach pulling beamswords will be interesting now though!

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
My roommate starts yelling and flipping out when I carry him off the side with DK.

He should know how to get out of it by now, but he doesn't, and thus I continue.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Smash attacks, and the use of the C-stick should be banned from tournaments

Oh Gibdo

Smash Journeyman
Nothing's really "cheap". (however that doesn't mean things aren't annoying!)

I will never intentionally quit while playing online, even if they use haxorz!!! It'd be interesting to see how well I do against 'em. :)

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
Personally, by definition, Edge Guarding is cheap. Do I still do it? Yes.

But there are certain things that I just don't do because it pisses off my friends and I. And after a while, we just stop playing because of it. For instance, I've stopped playing as Fox/Falcon on Hyrule Temple and just spam lazers all day long. Its annoying and pisses my friends off. So I've stopped. Then again, my friends and I dont play competitively, we play for the sake of playing.

And Sheik's OverB in the air is beyond broken. There are no words for it.

Seriously.

I've looked.
If a person can get me off and keep me off the ledge, then it's not cheap.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
I consider "cheap" to be anything in the game that is unnatural in and of itself.

For example, in Melee:

-Marth can grab outside of the reach of his arms.
-Marth's sword's tip has a truly bizzare airstun effect after a certain %.
-Jigglypuff can out-prioritize attacks that outreach her.
-Some of Jigglypuff's moves have hitboxes that extend beyond the reach of her limbs.
-Mario's fireballs have their rather deadly airstun effect. I main Mario and I consider this cheap, although I still love it. Regardless, I hope nobody who reads this thinks I'm a noob.
-The Shine. Why would an energy field that's designed to reflect energy reflect matter when it is activated? For that matter, if it can reflect matter as well as energy, shouldn't it do that constantly? It just doesn't make sense.

I consider these things cheap because I also play Soul Calibur, and in that game moves are (edit) exactly what you think they'll be. In SC, if a character slashes 2 feet ahead and another character slashes 3 feet ahead, the second character gets the hit. Period. (edit) Not to say I won't accept the craziness of Smash, but even within the scope of Smash there are some messed up things.

Xtremee

Smash Apprentice
Cheap?

More like people who complain are noobs. There's a counter for everything.
None of the aforementioned techniques are "cheap."
I agree with you 100% i mean if someone spam a move and you always get hit by it you aren't that good then..

Link he come to town...

Smash Apprentice
Eh, tbh I'll play against anything...
only thing I consider "cheap" is wobbling or freeze glitching, it's pretty hard to avoid a well placed grab you know, especially if they mindgame it up, you could counter with your own mindgames I guess, but it's still alot easier to get grabbed, then you wait for a knock out. Of course I'll still play against this if say captain olimar or ice climbers have some other new fangled infinite, what are you gona do anyways, if you beat them then you beat them hard, if you lose you can always make excuses or play another game.

iLink

Smash Champion
I'll play against anything but the most annoying thing for me is my friend constantly abusing marth's fsmash but i've gotten to the point where i can easily predict when hes going to do it and avoid it.

Zsy

Smash Rookie
Everyone here is saying that everything can be dodged yet items are banned at tourneys!?
A good smash player can dodge ANYTHING!

Maben

Smash Journeyman
Everyone here is saying that everything can be dodged yet items are banned at tourneys!?
Really? I'd like to see a good smash player dodge a bomb appearing on top of them while they are doing their forward smash.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
You can't say that it is exactly cheap but I seriously dislike chain grabbing, though I would possibly use it if it were necessary. From what I remember hearing though, Brawl's throws are much harder to chain throw with, which makes me happy :)

Maben

Smash Journeyman
-The Shine. Why would an energy field that's designed to reflect energy reflect matter when it is activated? For that matter, if it can reflect matter as well as energy, shouldn't it do that constantly? It just doesn't make sense.
Um, it always reflects "matter and energy"... Yeah it constantly does it. Try shooting it with a ray gun, then throwing the ray gun at it. It's gonna reflect both times.

SWORDMASTER X7

Smash Cadet
Items are random, that's a fact. What items spawn and where they spawn are completely out of the player's control. Tournaments aim to make the game as skill dependant as possible, thus, items are banned.

On topic, I don't consider anything cheap except randomness and hacking. Although I do dislike wobbling and stalling, but thankfully some tournies ban those tactics.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
There is no such thing as b& when it comes to characters and moves. It's true, nothing is really cheap if you know how to avoid or counter it. Dang I wish I knew how to do these technical things.

Why have we changed the name from Tournament to Tourney? Tournament sounds much cooler than Tourney even if it's Brawl-esque naming.

Top Bottom