• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do yall find fun about this character?

Van.

Smash Ace
not a callout, legit question.

What are some of the most fun matchups/most fun things to do with him?

Also Axe (and others) what are your thoughts on aggressive vs. campy YL?

What are the basic bread and butter 2 piece combos/ spacy edgeguarding flow charts that a new YL player should know?

Thanks guys :)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Most fun MUs are Sheiks that don't know the MU, Falcos that don't know the MU, and Falcons that don't know the MU. When people know the MU, probably Peach or Ganon.

Most fun thing to do with him is combo into the flaming dair. Bonus points if it's offstage or you get multiple flaming dair hits. Anything involving stuff > bair > grab > more stuff is pretty cool too. Any amount of projectiles greater than 1 into dair is also really fun. I also have a lot of fun threatening to time out Puffs on banned levels but I don't think that's fun for most people.

Aggro YL is kind of cool but not really what the character is built for. He has a decent sex kick approach and can do a ghetto version of what Peach does to encroach DDs and similar in that he can toss a toy and follow it up. But he's kind of weak vs shields in combat and fragile vs some of the good characters' grabs, which makes his offense kind of dangerous to use that way. He's okay for speed but covering certain repositioning options by Fox and whatever can be a pain. He's built more for zoning and defense in general IMO even though that style is not as exciting. Playing his defense allows him to circumvent his grab weakness more by drawing the opponent in and trying to coax them into fighting on his terms, rather than vice versa. A lot of his moves get a lot better when certain conditions are met (see: uair in general vs uair when people are above you) so it makes sense to try to pull them into those conditions (which, for YL, means getting people to chase you).

Against space animals you just want to force them to go low in any way you can and then nair them. Jabbing illusions, covering the edge area with various styles of nair, f-tilting things, etc. and then following up with offstage nair will be most of your kills vs spacies. Tossing a bomb into their sweetspot attempt and following it up in any way you can is also a simple, effective strat. Ramboing them offstage with a really aggressive nair vs their high recovery is also situationally good.

YL's combos are pretty intuitive for the most part. Bomb into stuff. Uair into stuff. Bair into stuff. And so forth. You should probably know when his up throw starts comboing into things against the less floaty characters (I think it's like 30% on Sheik and then I forget the rest of the cast).

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I mainly love the variety of options he has combined with his speed.
I'd play him more if he were better at killing or had more range on his melee attacks.

TL in Project M is more fun IMO for those reasons, though his recovery is beyond crap.

Snowbird

Smash Cadet
Fighting ganon is super fun. For every time he hits you, you need to hit him at least 2-3 times, but it works and is a pretty even matchup.

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
i just love the way it feels to use him fast quick and agile, he has some great combos and one of the best gimper's in the game. ever since i first picked upped the game ylink was my most fav character and i honestly he's much better then ppl give him credit for but i will eventually stur up some hype for him soon

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
strong rang to uair is a nasty combo that works on a lot of the cast.

while axe's aggro ylink is ultra hype and that zair rang upb thing is cool, he generally loses the match or doesn't do that great (from the tiny bit I've seen) but KoC2 Singles he went YLink on B4kamoe's Peach and it didn't go well but he had some amazing movement. I think watching Axe's movement and creative set ups is good, but camping is always the best option. (generally)

Top Bottom