• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do people do with their original (non-converted) replays?

Jtv3

Smash Rookie
A replay is saved to the Vault, and it can be converted to a video (in the form of an MP4 on a memory card). But what do people do with the original, non-converted replays? (The initial ones that are saved to the game's memory, in the Vault). After someone converts a replay to a video (MP4 on memory card), do they delete the original (non-converted) replay to make room for new replays? And is there a way to save the actual, original (non-converted) replays to a memory card?

Also, what is the storage limit for storing replays in the vault? (Is the limit 100 replays, 200 replays, etc.)

If the original replay is deleted, then the ability to modify the replay's settings (when converting it to a video MP4) is lost. So if a replay is converted with the "Normal" quality setting and sound effects, and then the original (non-converted) replay for that video is deleted, then if someone decides later on that they want the video to be "Pretty" and NOT have sound effects, they will be unable to do that because they deleted the original. The ability to view the stage at different angles is also lost when the original replay is deleted. Yet, it seems like converting them to videos is the only option, due to storage limitations and the fact that a new version update to the game will make all replays saved up to that point unusable.

FazDude

Smash Master
From what I understand...
  • Non-converted replays are used for things like frame data research.
  • I think replays share a "limit" with custom stages/Mii Fighters - Whenever I've been unable to save a replay, I was instructed to delete some custom stages and Mii Fighters (as well as old replays). Not 100% sure on this one, though, and even if I was, I couldn't point to a specific number limit.
  • Your third paragraph pretty much sums it up. If you delete the original replay data, you can't edit it.

Top Bottom