• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do I work on?

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
I find it very hard to actually improve in smash nowadays. I live in southern OH, so a local is sort of a joke. I have found a sparring partner, but I am the embodiment of an auto-politer. Whenever I feel the slightest bit tense or worried, I'll only use dash attack/nair/down throw in nuetral, as they're the safest things to throw out, according to my experience. However, this quickly becomes predictable. Additionally, I will always seem to go for the jump option in 50-50s. These are the biggest problems I can identify with. However, if I fix these, what then? I won't be bad, or use rookie mistakes, and I don't have the knowledge to know when to start practicing certain techs, and in what order to do them i.e. should I start to perfect pivot now? Or practice fair-> footstool? What about jab locking? Obviously, if there was a step-by-step guide, perfectly explaining "how to git gud" there would be a lot more good players, since they know what to do to progress and advance with.
And I can see the replies now. "Well, gosh diddly darn it Victory, if you want a comment on how to improve, how can we help you if we don't have a video?"
Due to the death of miiverse, I can't post on YouTube anymore.(I have a few videos uploaded, but in all reality they're lag-filled cancer fests.) Capture cards are as expensive as hell, and recording the TV with a camera makes the image have poor quality, and the images seem to blur together.
Do you guys have any tips for progressing and improving? Is there a reliable way to record my game?

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I find it very hard to actually improve in smash nowadays. I live in southern OH, so a local is sort of a joke. I have found a sparring partner, but I am the embodiment of an auto-politer. Whenever I feel the slightest bit tense or worried, I'll only use dash attack/nair/down throw in nuetral, as they're the safest things to throw out, according to my experience. However, this quickly becomes predictable. Additionally, I will always seem to go for the jump option in 50-50s. These are the biggest problems I can identify with. However, if I fix these, what then? I won't be bad, or use rookie mistakes, and I don't have the knowledge to know when to start practicing certain techs, and in what order to do them i.e. should I start to perfect pivot now? Or practice fair-> footstool? What about jab locking? Obviously, if there was a step-by-step guide, perfectly explaining "how to git gud" there would be a lot more good players, since they know what to do to progress and advance with.
And I can see the replies now. "Well, gosh diddly darn it Victory, if you want a comment on how to improve, how can we help you if we don't have a video?"
Due to the death of miiverse, I can't post on YouTube anymore.(I have a few videos uploaded, but in all reality they're lag-filled cancer fests.) Capture cards are as expensive as hell, and recording the TV with a camera makes the image have poor quality, and the images seem to blur together.
Do you guys have any tips for progressing and improving? Is there a reliable way to record my game?
before you can run, you need to walk

before you build a house, you need a solid foundation

before you can do flips, handstands, and dope bboy moves, you need to develop your strength and mobility

before you can make the art you want, you need to constantly practice the fundamentals and basics

before you can perfect pivot and do techs, you NEEEEED a exceptional neutral game and solid understanding of it (which comes in time)

also, to practice execution and flow, try playing lvl 3 cpus 1v1 and treat them as punching bags, not real threats or opponents.

always think about ways you can improve your play and experiment so you can know for yourself.

EDIT: bonus video:

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
You can try Izaw's of Art of Smash series, if you have not heard of it already.

Top Bottom