• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do I need to know before my first tournament?

tbird99

Smash Apprentice
I've been practicing since June and I'm going to my first tournament tomorrow. What techniques or other things about marth do I need to know before I go?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Marth is an extremely wide character, but basics are things like DDing, WDing, SHFFLing, etc. Expect to get bopped there, it's your first tournament and we all got bopped at our first, haha.

tbird99

Smash Apprentice
Marth is an extremely wide character, but basics are things like DDing, WDing, SHFFLing, etc. Expect to get bopped there, it's your first tournament and we all got bopped at our first, haha.
I know all of the basic advanced techs and I know how to use them somewhat effectively. I can approach with DD grab and SHFFL fair, string fairs, get some spikes, chain grab fox and falco pretty well, juggle with up airs and up tilts pretty well, and land some spikes. I don't make a lot of smart decisions though and I don't practice on non FD stages that much so I won't be as good on platform stages. And yeah I've heard that everyone sucks in their first tournament so I've already accepted the fact that I'm going to go 0-2.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
You'll definitely wanna learn how to work just fine with platforms. Truth is they're part of the game and if you can't handle them, you're screwed. Remember that humans aren't computers. Blindly approaching and expecting something to work is not going to work. I've practically written papers on DDing before, but basically just use it to disguise your intentions and threaten to fair, grab, or dtilt. If you didn't know this already, Counter and Fsmash are very situational tools, not ones that should just be randomly used. Besides that, yeah, just expect to get bopped really badly. My 2nd tourney experience (4 months of practice) a week ago went like this: 2-0d by Falco, 2-1 win against Fox, 2-0d by Falco. Your goal is to learn, not to win. Always remember that.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Ahh, well just practice I guess, we can't really tell you non-obvious tips without seeing your gameplay.

Smashing Turnips

Smash Cadet
If anything, just try to keep an open mind. Know that you'll most likely get destroyed. You might take a game or two against people at your skill level, but for the most part, without experience, you'll drown. But that's okay! Everyone has to start somewhere. The best advice that I can give is to go and learn & have fun. Discuss fundamentals with a higher level player, and try to have them analyze your play. They can help you understand your habits, and adjust your thinking.
The first step to getting better is to realize that you really don't know everything; there's so much to the game. Have a good time.

tbird99

Smash Apprentice
If anything, just try to keep an open mind. Know that you'll most likely get destroyed. You might take a game or two against people at your skill level, but for the most part, without experience, you'll drown. But that's okay! Everyone has to start somewhere. The best advice that I can give is to go and learn & have fun. Discuss fundamentals with a higher level player, and try to have them analyze your play. They can help you understand your habits, and adjust your thinking.
The first step to getting better is to realize that you really don't know everything; there's so much to the game. Have a good time.
I actually did win a set in my pool (there were a lot of scrubs) and got close in 2 of them. I wasn't expecting to do good but i learned what I need to work on and I had a great time.

Top Bottom