• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do I like about Ultimate anyway?

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
Contrary to what you may have thought, I am looking forward to SSBU. There are a number of things that do make me feel it will be worth at least the initial price:

First, all old stages return. This is especially good because I prefer the older stages due to simplicity and the lack of swapping themselves out for different terrains like they have confidence issues. Not to mention, given how old those stages are, the opportunities for graphical updating in Smash 64 and Melee are great.

Next is the World of Light mode. Although not as interactive as the Subspace Emissary, it's still a proper single player specific adventure that I look forward to getting very familiar with (and even routing a long speedrun category).

Lastly is something I don't even hear the fans talking about. In the 2020s and beyond, gaming is moving more towards games that are big and complex enough for players to conceivably become very attached to them and play them nearly exclusively instead of having to constantly scour for new games. This is especially a plus given how enormous the filesize is- downloading SSBU onto your Switch as opposed to buying the cartridge leads to half of the Switch's storage being used up, and that's not even getting into possible future DLC. If you're attached to your Switch games and progress, start equipping your Switch with an SD card now.

Really, I'm just excited that this game will make it easier than ever to strike up casual bouts anywhere, especially on long car rides. The Switch greatly expands the series' couch multiplayer potential as much as the abundance of content does.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is nice and all, but do you really had to make a topic about this?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Contrary to what you may have thought, I am looking forward to SSBU. There are a number of things that do make me feel it will be worth at least the initial price:

First, all old stages return. This is especially good because I prefer the older stages due to simplicity and the lack of swapping themselves out for different terrains like they have confidence issues. Not to mention, given how old those stages are, the opportunities for graphical updating in Smash 64 and Melee are great.

Next is the World of Light mode. Although not as interactive as the Subspace Emissary, it's still a proper single player specific adventure that I look forward to getting very familiar with (and even routing a long speedrun category).

Lastly is something I don't even hear the fans talking about. In the 2020s and beyond, gaming is moving more towards games that are big and complex enough for players to conceivably become very attached to them and play them nearly exclusively instead of having to constantly scour for new games. This is especially a plus given how enormous the filesize is- downloading SSBU onto your Switch as opposed to buying the cartridge leads to half of the Switch's storage being used up, and that's not even getting into possible future DLC. If you're attached to your Switch games and progress, start equipping your Switch with an SD card now.

Really, I'm just excited that this game will make it easier than ever to strike up casual bouts anywhere, especially on long car rides. The Switch greatly expands the series' couch multiplayer potential as much as the abundance of content does.
I especially agree with the last part.

I wish the switch had an easily accessIble USB port in addition to the charger because it sucks being able to ONLY charge it in the dock...

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
I did have to make this a topic. People are under the impression that I don’t like the game.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Contrary to what you may have thought, I am looking forward to SSBU.
Assuming that people are thinking about your preferences may be somewhat presumptuous.

Anyway even though the title suggests that this topic is supposed to be all about your opinion I am going to go a little bit offtopic and talk about my opinion. Personally I want Smash Ultimate because it is the new Smash Bros and R.O.B. is in it.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I think that the core gameplay will be the best of the series. The gameplay of the WiiU game that is very polished (in my opinion) will get some relevant improvements and looks like all of them are for the best, making the game more competitive in the perfect balance between Melee and Sm4sh.

I also think the number of characters and stages is very impressive.
Not having some characters people always wanted is part of the proccess. Anyone remember a Smash game that had not suffered any of this disappointment with character reveals? I don't think we should think about it too much now that everyone is revealed and the next 5 characters will probably not be characters of old games that people always wanted on the series. They are not coming. We already have what is probably the best character roster of any fighting game ever.

I expected to see some new original stages, but I really appreciate their effort to bring almost all stages back, and some more are coming. I expected to see some new more stages, but maybe with time we will have another DLC and this means we will finish the original stage list with 14, that's a decent number (it's basically the number of stages of the last Mortal Kombat X, and we have much more than this on SSU), and if we not have two DLC packs, we will end up with 9 original stages, that is a bit disappointing, but hope for the best! I just expected to have them now, but I can wait, and I can't be disappointed with the stage list too. It's just impressive by itself and I had not played any Smash game before Brawl, so I have a lot of new stages to enjoy already.

I'm just not expecting too much about the single player content, and I'm a bit disappointed because of this. I always wanted better singleplayer modes (or cooperative with two friends) in Smash games. Some previous games had some adventure/campaign modes, but never being soo good as the game with such character list deserves. Anyway, I hope for the best on this department. Maybe Spirts will not be the campaign I always wanted, but maybe will still be something super great and with a lot of replayability, that could be something I would play even more than a campaign mode.

I'm a bit disappointed that the game will not have dedicated servers, but as long as it works well, it doesnt really matter. Never had a problem on 1x1 matches in Sm4sh, only in some matches with 2x2 or free-for-all that had 4 players, but if the matchmaking system works better now and it inserts me on matches with no lag, it's irrelevant to me if it uses dedicated servers or p2p.

I'm excited for the game, and hoping for the best.

Last edited:

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
It’s about everyone’s opinions not just mine. This thread is especially for people who were skeptical that it would be the cats pajamas.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I am pretty sure the game is going to be good. The biggest failure in the Smash series was probably SSBB seeing how many people it disappointed and even SSBB was really good. With 4 out of 4 of the game being great I am sure they can make the fifth great as well.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209

I wish the switch had an easily accessIble USB port in addition to the charger because it sucks being able to ONLY charge it in the dock...
I think someone will make it eventually. There are a ton of third party and non-official accessories that enhance features available within the system or not at all, like a case that also charges the system.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

You can use the cable thhat comes with pro controllers or any USB-C cable to charge with and not needing the dock.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Wait...it takes up that much space? Good thing I always get physical copies when it comes to Smash...

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I think someone will make it eventually. There are a ton of third party and non-official accessories that enhance features available within the system or not at all, like a case that also charges the system.
I'd bet an appendage that the rumored Switch "lite" or whatever it'll be that's supposed to be coming next year will have a far more accessible USB port on it and a port to charge it while it's deployed in kickstand mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom