• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do anti-fans like about this game anyway?

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
Ever since SSBU's name was revealed and details about it surfaced, there's been criticism popping up. The single player modes are a dud. Too many characters that don't fit with Nintendo or being "All-Star". Too expensive. On and on and on. Thing is, I criticize because I care. Seeing as I've actually had a couple days to play the game (after work of course) I can confirm that I actually do like it and look forward to playing it more during plane flights and family re-unions for at least as long as it takes for the next one to come out on the next console (Words like "Final" "Ultimate" or "Sayonara" never truly do mean it in video games do they?) What's keeping me coming back?

I mentioned before that the single player modes don't impress me. Even people excited for Smash found the World of Light adventure mode to be a little disappointing. Here's what makes up for it: none of that matters. Ultimate may be the first Smash game (and currently the only one of course) to last on the main battle mode the cursor starts on alone. To begin with- that's been improved as well. Smash 4 had this strange separation of a 4-player battle mode and the 8-player battle mode which was functionally identical and made the 4-player mode (which was given much more prominence in the menu) pretty much obsolete. In Ultimate, this has been fixed. There's only one main battle mode and it starts with two boxes and they only get the necessary amounts of smaller once more players are added.

Not only does it contain every previous character and stage and then some. Everything's been improved! Ultimate doesn't just have a higher amount of characters and stages I like using, it has a higher percentage even. The action is fast. The characters are balanced. Moves feel more effective, making it a better strategy to utilize each move in the correct immediate situation rather than just finding one powerful character with one powerful move to spam. And of course there's no exploits with items like in Brawl where items that were intended to be near-useless like the fan could be used to stun-lock an opponent and give them hundreds of damage points before finishing them off with one charged attack. No- there are uses and strategies to be found just about everywhere with just about everything. Take Marth for example. Gone are the days of having an Up-B miss and slowly floating down to the ground, making you an easy target for a counterattack. Instead, you use the attack and fall fast. Even Marth's Down-B, which was useless in previous games to the point where it made most players wonder what it was even useful for, is now an effective counter-attack move. How good is this game when it's making ME say GOOD things about MARTH? And that's not even getting into characters I like. Bowser, Dr. Mario, Palutena, and Link are now higher-tier characters for plenty of people besides me for a change. And I have liked at least one new character- King K Rool. He is the opposite of everything I complain about. His moves have a good balance between "effective" and "cute references to past Nintendo games" in his moveset. He's fun to use and effective, but in a balanced and not cheap and overpowered way. And he fits with the other characters in the game really well. KKR just WORKS.

I mentioned before how annoying it was to go through each song on each stage to fine-tune them to my preferences, but I was only complaining about the amount of songs and how inefficient it was rather than the fact that the feature existed. I actually like this feature because it allows me to replace the orchestral remixes with the original songs and put the Snowman song (a good song) in the Onett stage (a good stage). Plus this game just has the trademark fantastic customization and seemingly limitless possibilities that Smash is known for and has polished to perfection in this particular entry.

I really like this game. How about you?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
(Words like "Final" "Ultimate" or "Sayonara" never truly do mean it in video games do they?)
*clears throat; attempts to imitate the voice of Bobby from King of the Hill as closely as I can*

"Why is it named Final Fantasy if there's more then one? I mean, there's over fifteen of them!"

*switches to a Hank Hill impression*

"you shut yer mouth, son. Final Fantasy's a good RPG series, I'll tell you what"

*returns to the Bobby Hill voice*

"Come on, dad, it's a dumb name!"

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I love the game so far and glad you found something to like :)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This feels like a loaded question...
And a thread topic that's more made to misdirect criticisms than generate actual discussion.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
I guess that i am a hater because of how angry i was with Smash 4 and all the anime character on the selection screen that could have been saved for something else.

In Melee, i didnt mind Marth and Roy. I had no clue who they were, noone i played with had a clue who they were, so we bought the game for GBA and we really loved the game. They just were there, sticking in the roster very oddly. While the rest of the roster looked cartoonish or serious, we had two anime characters noone knew about, and i guess that worked to boost the sales because everyone i knew irl talked about the FE game.

But since Smash 4, the anime characters went overboard. And now the DLC are so weird i dont know what to say. First of all, Piranha Plant is a mock for Waluigi fans, and soon we will get yet another anime character from another platform, Joker.

I keep hearing people cheer about this random guy, while im sitting here having no clue who he is. I asked my friends if they knew him, noone said anything. I asked them if they knew who Waluigi was, and they said the purple guy. I went to google and searched "Joker" in pictures, and i could barely find any referense to his game at all. Its not like i hate Joker but when people hear DLC, they expect someone to blow their mind off, like Mewtwo did when everyone expected the whole DLC to be anime characters.

This worked with Marth and Roy, i admit. But this marketing for other characters that barely anyone knows about doesnt work anymore.

People around my surrounding got surprised by Simon Belmont on the roster. They said "oh its that guy from Castlevania 4, awesome" or "Duck Hunt Duo, lol that game", i dont hear the same respond when it comes to anime characters.

While some of the roster is disappointing, the game itself is not. It IS awesome and many gamers i know irl is still playing the game day and night out, which is surprising. By far the best Smash game ive played. Me and my friends love this game, we play it alot in on-line mode. Pity there is lag here and there but its playable 95% of the time.

Last edited:

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
One thing that does solve the issue of music settings being annoying is that there is a shortcut- you can press Y to bring up a music menu in each stage and select the one you want. You can even press Y to listen and make sure you are choosing the correct one. This saves the trouble of having to fix every music meter to what you want (especially when a friend changes it in the menu behind your back).

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I guess that i am a hater because of how angry i was with Smash 4 and all the anime character on the selection screen that could have been saved for something else.

In Melee, i didnt mind Marth and Roy. I had no clue who they were, noone i played with had a clue who they were, so we bought the game for GBA and we really loved the game. They just were there, sticking in the roster very oddly. While the rest of the roster looked cartoonish or serious, we had two anime characters noone knew about, and i guess that worked to boost the sales because everyone i knew irl talked about the FE game.

But since Smash 4, the anime characters went overboard. And now the DLC are so weird i dont know what to say. First of all, Piranha Plant is a mock for Waluigi fans, and soon we will get yet another anime character from another platform, Joker.

I keep hearing people cheer about this random guy, while im sitting here having no clue who he is. I asked my friends if they knew him, noone said anything. I asked them if they knew who Waluigi was, and they said the purple guy. I went to google and searched "Joker" in pictures, and i could barely find any referense to his game at all. Its not like i hate Joker but when people hear DLC, they expect someone to blow their mind off, like Mewtwo did when everyone expected the whole DLC to be anime characters.
Not all 75 characters are present to appease you and you alone.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
If the anti-fans that were okay with Marth but not okay with most of the recent choices wanted games tailored exclusively for them, I would be requesting things like Umihara Kawase, Reiko Mizusaki, and Reco from Mushihimesama. Given that Smash is an international big-budget game series that's expected to sell consoles and be an "all-star" game, the expectations are different.

Not all the character choices are bad. I still don't care to play the serieses that many of them are from, but the fun gameplay of Smash at least makes me enjoy characters and content I otherwise have no interest in.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Contrary to popular belief you can still enjoy the core gameplay but think a lot of the roster isn't made of great choices.

I'd say I pretty much dislike 33% of the roster, but that doesn't stop me enjoying the other 66% and playing as my main.

osby

Smash Obsessed

This worked with Marth and Roy, i admit. But this marketing for other characters that barely anyone knows about doesnt work anymore.

People around my surrounding got surprised by Simon Belmont on the roster. They said "oh its that guy from Castlevania 4, awesome" or "Duck Hunt Duo, lol that game", i dont hear the same respond when it comes to anime characters.

While some of the roster is disappointing, the game itself is not. It IS awesome and many gamers i know irl is still playing the game day and night out, which is surprising. By far the best Smash game ive played. Me and my friends love this game, we play it alot in on-line mode. Pity there is lag here and there but its playable 95% of the time.
Thanks goodness I actually know the difference between anime and video games and I'm not a grown child who wants roster to only cater to me.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
wha
Contrary to popular belief you can still enjoy the core gameplay but think a lot of the roster isn't made of great choices.

I'd say I pretty much dislike 33% of the roster, but that doesn't stop me enjoying the other 66% and playing as my main.
what about the other 1 percent?

banana29

Smash Cadet
The game is great but a cool event mode like Melee’s and making Shadow + any Custom Robo a character would have been amazing.

Fortnite will stay my main game but I’ll still play this (that’s more than what I can say for 99% of games I own)

RazorGuild

Smash Rookie
So just because you don’t know who this “anime” character is, he shouldn’t be included. There are fans of this game and just because you are do not know of him does not mean he was wanted in smash.

ps_

Banned via Warnings
Ultimate is pretty fun and easily the second best Smash in the entire series. Melee might have 20 years of player tinkering, but Ultimate feels more polished and well-designed even with its faults.

It's fast, most characters feel well-balanced, it offers highs and lows, it rewards practice and the cast* feels quite varied in terms of how they play. Until some koala-brain figures out how to abuse a certain character, ruins the competitive meta and ensures online mode is nothing but clones of that play style, I can see myself playing Ultimate for a very long time. It's also only game in Nintendo history where you can play as Ridley or Dark Samus.

The only glaring fault I can find is certain characters really, really reward playing like a caveman. I can contend with a Pichu or Mario pulling off sick combos, but Roy/Chrom/Ike spamming forward air feels even more broken than Melee.

*Everyone who isn't from Fire Emblem.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ultimate is pretty fun and easily the second best Smash in the entire series. Melee might have 20 years of player tinkering, but Ultimate feels more polished and well-designed even with its faults.

It's fast, most characters feel well-balanced, it offers highs and lows, it rewards practice and the cast* feels quite varied in terms of how they play. Until some koala-brain figures out how to abuse a certain character, ruins the competitive meta and ensures online mode is nothing but clones of that play style, I can see myself playing Ultimate for a very long time. It's also only game in Nintendo history where you can play as Ridley or Dark Samus.

The only glaring fault I can find is certain characters really, really reward playing like a caveman. I can contend with a Pichu or Mario pulling off sick combos, but Roy/Chrom/Ike spamming forward air feels even more broken than Melee.

*Everyone who isn't from Fire Emblem.
*criticizes Fire Emblem characters don't have varied play styles*

*Dark Samus icon*

I think this is the second I've seen.

ps_

Banned via Warnings

*Dark Samus icon*

A Fire Emblem fanboy picking on Metroid, a series whose only representation was "Samus" and "Bathing Suit Samus" for two decades. You should be a comedian.

There's seven Fire Emblem characters in this series. If you delegate characters like Yoshi or Wario to their own spin-off series (and based on sales, you probably should) Fire Emblem has more representation than goddamn Mario. This is stupid for many reasons, considering Fire Emblem was a total failure until it became a free-to-play gacha phone game, but it's not the only issue.

They all play the same. You're either dashing around spamming forward-air like a mongoloid, or you're spamming garbage from across the map. They remain high (if not top) tier in every game due to a potent mix of high reach + high damage + easy combos, and most have some way to wall out straightforward attempts to exploit their weaknesses. In a game like Ultimate ― where characters frequently come back to stage at 150% damage and "bad recovery" is barely a concern ― their ****** strength is even more amplified.

The characters themselves aren't interesting. Most of Fire Emblem cast is the same lawful-good same-face anime dumb **** in a navy blue cuirass + cape, directly related to nobility, using their family's sacred sword to save the kingdom. I mention this because most people playing Fire Emblem cast members don't like the character, they like winning, and they like winning without putting in very much effort. The amount of bong-slurping backwards baseball cap-wearing mumble rap-listening obese wall-eyed degenerates stomping online with Roy or Ike, despite never in their life touching a roleplaying game, is evidence of this.

tl;dr - Fire Emblem is just a displaced Fatlus JRPG series that barely sells, isn't interesting and is the cancer killing Smash. They could put Peter Griffin in this game and I'd hate it less than Fire Emblem getting yet another character.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
A Fire Emblem fanboy picking on Metroid, a series whose only representation was "Samus" and "Bathing Suit Samus" for two decades. You should be a comedian.

There's seven Fire Emblem characters in this series. If you delegate characters like Yoshi or Wario to their own spin-off series (and based on sales, you probably should) Fire Emblem has more representation than goddamn Mario. This is stupid for many reasons, considering Fire Emblem was a total failure until it became a free-to-play gacha phone game, but it's not the only issue.

They all play the same. You're either dashing around spamming forward-air like a mongoloid, or you're spamming garbage from across the map. They remain high (if not top) tier in every game due to a potent mix of high reach + high damage + easy combos, and most have some way to wall out straightforward attempts to exploit their weaknesses. In a game like Ultimate ― where characters frequently come back to stage at 150% damage and "bad recovery" is barely a concern ― their ****** strength is even more amplified.

The characters themselves aren't interesting. Most of Fire Emblem cast is the same lawful-good same-face anime dumb **** in a navy blue cuirass + cape, directly related to nobility, using their family's sacred sword to save the kingdom. I mention this because most people playing Fire Emblem cast members don't like the character, they like winning, and they like winning without putting in very much effort. The amount of bong-slurping backwards baseball cap-wearing mumble rap-listening obese wall-eyed degenerates stomping online with Roy or Ike, despite never in their life touching a roleplaying game, is evidence of this.

tl;dr - Fire Emblem is just a displaced Fatlus JRPG series that barely sells, isn't interesting and is the cancer killing Smash. They could put Peter Griffin in this game and I'd hate it less than Fire Emblem getting yet another character.
*checks* Nope, no picking on Metroid at all in my original post. I won't try and pretend other parts of this post deserve a response, though complaining about Fire Emblem characters being same and Metroid having two Samuses in the same post was funny. Is this your running gag?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wow, almost... every word in that wall of text was wrong.

Frankly, I'm impressed.

osby

Smash Obsessed
7.8/10, I've seen better.

Last edited:

ps_

Banned via Warnings
User was warned for this post; flaming
*checks* Nope, no picking on Metroid at all in my original post. I won't try and pretend other parts of this post deserve a response, though complaining about Fire Emblem characters being same and Metroid having two Samuses in the same post was funny. Is this your running gag?
You clearly crash-landed in from another dimension where six version of Samus are in Smash. Maybe you should visit the gun store, activate your Persona and go back there.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868

*Dark Samus icon*

Four nearly identical characters and all but one of the fire emblem swordboi squad has a counter for D-special

Why are you giving someone flak for having an echo fighter as a profile pic when they weren't even interacting with you?

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
You clearly crash-landed in from another dimension where six version of Samus are in Smash. Maybe you should visit the gun store, activate your Persona and go back there.
agree with you but that was a little to far

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ever since SSBU's name was revealed and details about it surfaced, there's been criticism popping up. The single player modes are a dud. Too many characters that don't fit with Nintendo or being "All-Star". Too expensive. On and on and on. Thing is, I criticize because I care. Seeing as I've actually had a couple days to play the game (after work of course) I can confirm that I actually do like it and look forward to playing it more during plane flights and family re-unions for at least as long as it takes for the next one to come out on the next console (Words like "Final" "Ultimate" or "Sayonara" never truly do mean it in video games do they?) What's keeping me coming back?

I mentioned before that the single player modes don't impress me. Even people excited for Smash found the World of Light adventure mode to be a little disappointing. Here's what makes up for it: none of that matters. Ultimate may be the first Smash game (and currently the only one of course) to last on the main battle mode the cursor starts on alone. To begin with- that's been improved as well. Smash 4 had this strange separation of a 4-player battle mode and the 8-player battle mode which was functionally identical and made the 4-player mode (which was given much more prominence in the menu) pretty much obsolete. In Ultimate, this has been fixed. There's only one main battle mode and it starts with two boxes and they only get the necessary amounts of smaller once more players are added.

Not only does it contain every previous character and stage and then some. Everything's been improved! Ultimate doesn't just have a higher amount of characters and stages I like using, it has a higher percentage even. The action is fast. The characters are balanced. Moves feel more effective, making it a better strategy to utilize each move in the correct immediate situation rather than just finding one powerful character with one powerful move to spam. And of course there's no exploits with items like in Brawl where items that were intended to be near-useless like the fan could be used to stun-lock an opponent and give them hundreds of damage points before finishing them off with one charged attack. No- there are uses and strategies to be found just about everywhere with just about everything. Take Marth for example. Gone are the days of having an Up-B miss and slowly floating down to the ground, making you an easy target for a counterattack. Instead, you use the attack and fall fast. Even Marth's Down-B, which was useless in previous games to the point where it made most players wonder what it was even useful for, is now an effective counter-attack move. How good is this game when it's making ME say GOOD things about MARTH? And that's not even getting into characters I like. Bowser, Dr. Mario, Palutena, and Link are now higher-tier characters for plenty of people besides me for a change. And I have liked at least one new character- King K Rool. He is the opposite of everything I complain about. His moves have a good balance between "effective" and "cute references to past Nintendo games" in his moveset. He's fun to use and effective, but in a balanced and not cheap and overpowered way. And he fits with the other characters in the game really well. KKR just WORKS.

I mentioned before how annoying it was to go through each song on each stage to fine-tune them to my preferences, but I was only complaining about the amount of songs and how inefficient it was rather than the fact that the feature existed. I actually like this feature because it allows me to replace the orchestral remixes with the original songs and put the Snowman song (a good song) in the Onett stage (a good stage). Plus this game just has the trademark fantastic customization and seemingly limitless possibilities that Smash is known for and has polished to perfection in this particular entry.

I really like this game. How about you?
Not every returned :(. I don't have Knuckles and Tails (i.e. Mii costumes).

Sabertooth

Smash Ace

I'm pretty much in this boat as well. I feel like we live in a complainer's culture, and it does feel gratifying to complain sometimes, but no one should ever let it consume their interaction with the thing they're complaining about. This is probably one of the most fun games I've ever played, so it would be foolish to dwell on the stuff I don't like when there's so much to love.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

*Dark Samus icon*

Dark Samus is an echo fighter of Samus, yes.

But 5 of the FE characters in this game can literally be rated on a scale of most Marthy to least Marthy, while still being somewhat Marthy.

And the biggest crime is that FE is chock full of varied and interesting fighter types: crafty rogues, heavy armored warriors, pure wizards, and humans that transform into feral beasts.

...But we get 5 different flavors of "lord with sword" instead.

Last edited:

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
Why do I get the feeling that although I’m secluded from this community now, Smash might do something that seriously upsets everyone and people will, to my bewilderment, be begging for my opinion?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Why do I get the feeling that although I’m secluded from this community now, Smash might do something that seriously upsets everyone and people will, to my bewilderment, be begging for my opinion?
Dunno, why do you get wrong feelings?

And even if Smash does something stupid, why would people ask for your opinions? They are perfectly capable of coming with their own, and you've proved yourself to be not a very good resource on Smash.

Also, maybe you won't feel secluded from community if you don't keep making click-bait-y treads for trivial problems.

Last edited:

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
Here’s another thing I like:

Characters aren’t going to have logos plastered all over them and matches won’t be interrupted by advertisements.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Here’s another thing I like:

Characters aren’t going to have logos plastered all over them and matches won’t be interrupted by advertisements.
what

What this have anything to do with Smash or Ultimate?

Last edited:

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
I thought of another thing:

The fans are willing to hear criticism (however reluctantly) and even contribute to patch discussions. And can discuss the game in casual settings and with younger players who can’t even tell which character they are some of the time. In other words, they aren’t Melee fans.

Oh, and in case you haven’t heard, Street Fighter 5 is about to plaster advertisements all over everything. It can be turned off, but earning enough currency to unlock new items instead of paying for them takes longer.

Last edited:

Combew

Smash Rookie
Dark Samus is an echo fighter of Samus, yes.

But 5 of the FE characters in this game can literally be rated on a scale of most Marthy to least Marthy, while still being somewhat Marthy.

And the biggest crime is that FE is chock full of varied and interesting fighter types: crafty rogues, heavy armored warriors, pure wizards, and humans that transform into feral beasts.

...But we get 5 different flavors of "lord with sword" instead.
I agree with this so much, although I myself am I big FE fan, it sucks to see how literally every FE rep is the "lord with a sword". It would've been nice to have someone like Hector or a rogue be in smash and have a totally new and distinct moveset, but I'm 100% fine with how the roster is today.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I agree with this so much, although I myself am I big FE fan, it sucks to see how literally every FE rep is the "lord with a sword". It would've been nice to have someone like Hector or a rogue be in smash and have a totally new and distinct moveset, but I'm 100% fine with how the roster is today.
Titania from PoR would be so awesome as playable. I'd love for her or any of the other armored heavies to be in...

Khao

Smash Lord
The fans are willing to hear criticism (however reluctantly) and even contribute to patch discussions. And can discuss the game in casual settings and with younger players who can’t even tell which character they are some of the time. In other words, they aren’t Melee fans.
Man, your definition of "fan" is both incredibly specific, and incredibly confusing.

Top Bottom