• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What controls do you use for optimizing Samus?

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
Hello! I'm curious to know what controls you use for samus and why. I ask this because I might have been missing something Samus can do that I do not know of.

But well, I use these controls:

GameCube controller:

-R: I shield with this button, like, everything Shield button related.
-L: I have this button set to jump, so it's easy doing OoS UpB/DownB/Zair without having to turn tap jump on. I don't use X/Y for OoS because my fingers can't move fast enough to make an immediate X>UpB command.
-Z: is grab, no reason not to since using grab istead of Shield+Attack makes it so you dont get lag on Zair and the ability to pivot grab.
-A/B: Attacks and specials.
-C-Stick: Tilts, I have it like this since for me, it's a lot easier doing smashes than tilts, so I have tilts set up for the C-Stick
-X: Jump, my preferred button for jumping.
-Y: Shield. Why shield? Because I can use R for shielding, then jump with L, release R and immediately press Y so I airdodge, since for me it's kinda hard releasing and pressing immediately.

So, what controls do you use and why?

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I use a similar scheme, but I set grab to L and jump to Z. X and Y are both to jump as well.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I use the Gamepad and a Wii U Pro Controller
my set up is as follows,
X:Jump
Y:Grab
A: Attack
B: Special
C-Stick: Attack
R: Shield
ZR: Jump
L: Jump
ZL: Shield

things to explain.
Y Grab?
well for the gamepads set up (which is what i used for ages and still use) triggers werent as reliable starting out because the gamepad is a birck and a half and it was hard enough holding it. to worry about being able to switch triggers was causing me to drop the dang thing. so I switched the one jump button I didnt use (which ever one wasnt North) and tried it. Incredibly fluid transition from someone who spent roughly $ 250 getting nearly 8 gamecube styled Pro controllers (PDP Fightpads) and wiimotes to plug into them just so I could use the gamecube again. Turns out I like the layout of the gamepad better.
Also its super easy to land Zairs that way, your thumb just barely moves and you land SH Zair every time.

R,L,ZR,ZL situation, Why so confusing?
well the corresponding triggers that are set for shield are the buttons that my hands naturally rest on while holding both controllers. so it only made sense to set them to shield because shielding is MUCHO IMPORTANT in Smash 4. The jumps are for OOS Up B and I have a choice based on which finger hit shield so that one hand doesnt do all the work and I can naturally go quicker.

thats just my set up.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I personally use L as jump, X as grab and c stick set to smash attack.

Optimal would likely be:

Jump = any shoulder button to allow for easy up b oos
Tilts = set to c stick, allows for PP up tilts, immediate turn around down tilts, easy pivot f tilts, and easy SH up airs since you cant jump cancel up smash them if you use the c stick

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
Make sure to have C-stick on tilts so you can get quick punishes out of shield with the down tilt.

And when running pivoting side tilts, always use the joystick. Using the C-stick, you won't be able to angle the tilt up or down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom