• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What controllers are legal?

5BAR

Smash Rookie
Hello Smashers!

My buds and I are having a friendlies tournament this weekend at my house, after setting the TV's up we realized that we had no idea whether using Gamecube controllers were legal to use in tournaments.

We want to make sure there was no input lag difference and that everything could be fair. Some of my friends prefer to use an adapter and plug in their Gamecube Controller, while others prefer to go oldschool and use the N64. We wanted to make sure if GC controllers they were legal or not.

I couldn't really find any information about this subject on Smashboards or in a Youtube video so help would very appreciated!

I'm sorry for poor English, its not my first language

(inb4 john)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
All controllers are legal outside of ones with macros. There are pros and cons of every controller and there are some 3rd partyt controllers that I do not recommend at all.

N64 should be the only legal controller
Integration of the various communities is a great thing. We had a separation and I don't see the point in redoing that. The problem with the 64 community for a long time was that people did not play together. A whole lot of strong players wouldn't have gone to some majors if it wasn't for adapters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All controllers are legal outside of ones with macros. There are pros and cons of every controller and there are some 3rd partyt controllers that I do not recommend at all.

Integration of the various communities is a great thing. We had a separation and I don't see the point in redoing that. The problem with the 64 community for a long time was that people did not play together. A whole lot of strong players wouldn't have gone to some majors if it wasn't for adapters.
i've always been a complete purist when it comes to this issue, specifically in a tourney setting. it's one of the worst decisions ever to allow anything other than an N64 controller. you do this, you might as well allow cheats and macros, because it's a joke. so be it, if these 'pro players' would not have gone. if they can't play the game the way it's supposed to be played, they have no business being there in the first place. they're an insult to the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shears

Smash Master
i've always been a complete purist when it comes to this issue, specifically in a tourney setting. it's one of the worst decisions ever to allow anything other than an N64 controller. you do this, you might as well allow cheats and macros, because it's a circus at that point. so be it, if these 'pro players' would not have gone. if they can't play the game the way it's supposed to be played, they have no business being there in the first place. they're an insult to the game.
Studstill?

#AllControllersMatter

Shanook

Smash Rookie
While I can see where @cuddlytoys is coming from, and I absolutely respect their opinion, I believe adapters are a necessity to drawing in new players who may not like the N64 controller. That, and outside of macros, there really isn't any harm being done here. I see nothing wrong with a Gamecube adapter being used in high level play. To me, it's like changing controls in Brawl and Sm4sh. That's just my two cents though.

B Link

Smash Lord
I tried an xbox 360 controller the other day. It felt -really- good. Good control and extremely responsive. I can see why people like LD and Fays use it.

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I tried an xbox 360 controller the other day. It felt -really- good. Good control and extremely responsive. I can see why people like LD and Fays use it.
Since the Xbox 360 controller is so easy to use with Project 64 I imagine more people will gravitate to it in the future.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

all cheaters, as far as i'm concerned.

how do i opt out of alerts from this thread?

Last edited by a moderator:

Earthward Bound

Smash Cadet
I've personally found the gc controller to not be an ideal setup for smash64 for some characters anyway like fox, yoshi, and ness. This is coming from someone who loves the gc controller and uses it for other smash games.

You and your friends that like the gc should look into the "hori mini pad" as a potential option ( no adapter required) if you havn't already. You'd be looking at an $80 investment though unless you get lucky so its not for everyone.

LimeSoda

Smash Cadet
it's one of the worst decisions ever to allow anything other than an N64 controller. you do this, you might as well allow cheats and macros, because it's a joke. so be it, if these 'pro players' would not have gone. if they can't play the game the way it's supposed to be played, they have no business being there in the first place. they're an insult to the game.
So instead of citing facts to back up your opinion, they shouldn't be legal because "it's a joke"? That's not really valid. Also, lol at the game as it was meant to be played argument. If we had done that, we'd still be playing with items on, random stages, etc. The developer isn't always right--the n64 controller is not the best, if someone wants to use another input, with no macros, who cares. Other communities don't use the intended hardware, instead opting for options that'll make them more competitive (fight sticks, gaming keyboards and mice, Scuf controllers in CoD).

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
So instead of citing facts to back up your opinion, they shouldn't be legal because "it's a joke"? That's not really valid. Also, lol at the game as it was meant to be played argument. If we had done that, we'd still be playing with items on, random stages, etc. The developer isn't always right--the n64 controller is not the best, if someone wants to use another input, with no macros, who cares. Other communities don't use the intended hardware, instead opting for options that'll make them more competitive (fight sticks, gaming keyboards and mice, Scuf controllers in CoD).
Add to that the fact that N64 controllers in good condition become even more difficult to find every year so allowing other input devices is mandatory if competitive Smash 64 hopes to continue to live on.

D

Deleted member

That is your opinion. And 'we'd' is a generalization. You don't speak for everyone. Many people, including myself, enjoy actually playing at stages other than Dreamland and having items on. Some of us like to actually have 'fun,' instead of only caring about winning, go figure.

D

Deleted member

Add to that the fact that N64 controllers in good condition become even more difficult to find every year so allowing other input devices is mandatory if competitive Smash 64 hopes to continue to live on.
No, it's not 'mandatory,' it's just people being lazy.

Shears

Smash Master
That is your opinion. And 'we'd' is a generalization. You don't speak for everyone. Many people, including myself, enjoy actually playing at stages other than Dreamland and having items on. Some of us like to actually have 'fun,' instead of only caring about winning, go figure.
Winning is fun. Have you ever seen someone win the superbowl and start getting angry and mad? No one says "**** I won the lottery, someone just ****ing put me out of my misery".

B Link

Smash Lord
Just gonna mention that this counter argument is kind of unfair; I see it all the time with no one saying anything to properly defend themselves.

Someone can say they're against the "equipment as it was intended to be played with" and not necessarily commit themselves to being against "the rules as it was intended to be played with." It's like being against unusually high tech/different than intended equipment for sports, but being fine with certain rule changes here and there, which happens often in sports.

Does one necessarily have to be committed to both supposing one is committed to one or the other (in ssb)? Only if they specify being for intention as a whole (weak argument), or if the original rules say only x equipment is allowed obviously (that's not the case here though), but not if they're specific.

A different direction of argument could say that technically we are still playing the game's rules as originally intended. It does provide you the option of choosing only certain stages, and playing with no items. Short hopping was obviously intended, and there's some technical evidence to show that z cancelling in this game was intended too (look at some old posts by antdgar about this). I don't think it's a stretch to say that because we're operating under all the original physics of the game, and also because Sakurai intended for ssb64 to be competitive (there are posts by him about this), that the intended gameplay hasn't really been discarded.

Not saying that's my stance though. I'm kind of on the fence about this.

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Doesn't it all equal out in the end as every controller has inherent pros and cons?

By the way, I love controllers as you can tell from this picture.

These are the ones I keep in near mint conditions but I have plenty more for when friends come over. :chuckle:

LimeSoda

Smash Cadet
That's fine, I'm just saying banning input devices because it wasn't the way the game was meant to be played is a weak argument. Nearly every competitive competition's hard ware has evolved in a way that was different than intended. I do think there is maybe an argument for keyboards, but that's it. And it is just indeed an opinion.

Kyler

Smash Cadet
Doesn't it all equal out in the end as every controller has inherent pros and cons?

By the way, I love controllers as you can tell from this picture.

These are the ones I keep in near mint conditions but I have plenty more for when friends come over. :chuckle:
nice collection do you buy them online or like at second hand stores? cause right now im just playing with a pretty crappy controller so if you do buy online where do you recommend?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
nice collection do you buy them online or like at second hand stores? cause right now im just playing with a pretty crappy controller so if you do buy online where do you recommend?
I bought most of my pristine N64 controllers back when Nintendo was still selling them new in stores. A few I picked up before the whole collecting scene exploded and drove up the prices, and also made controllers with tight sticks difficult to find in the wild.

I've got a bunch of others that aren't in perfect shape but still have a little life left in them (see photo). At some point I'll probably start selling these off although I'm not ready to do so just yet.

Kyler

Smash Cadet
If a 3rd party controller is an official controller, what makes it not legal?
the way that this is worded hurts my brain but if youre asking what makes a controller not legal im pretty sure its all fair game unless the controller has macros on it

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
the way that this is worded hurts my brain but if youre asking what makes a controller not legal im pretty sure its all fair game unless the controller has macros on it
What I'm saying is this.

The hori minipad is a 3rd party licensed controller. As it is a licensed controller like the regular n64 stick, it would be unreasonable for it to be banned to begin with.

I'm open to most controllers being legalized outside of macros. The more people the better.

Last edited:

ElViejoZunY

Smash Apprentice
Tons of people play the game in emulator, some people already play others smash games with the GC controller, SSB64 is already a limited game in comparison with other smash games (characters, stages, etc), we can´t do the same with this. I´m also very purist with the hole controller things but it´s really hard to find/have a good N64 controller now it will be harder with the time

PS: talking about controllers, I´m looking for info about N64 stick vs GC stick (pros and cons, durability, etc), any threads of that?

Top Bottom