• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What controller is being used by tha pros?

Razed

Smash Ace
I'm using GC controller at the moment.. and I feel comfortable with it. But I was wondering; what do all you pros out there find the most effective controller to be?

Duopierce

Smash Rookie
I intend to experiment with all of them, myself. I think Wiimote w/ Nunchuck is going to be pretty hardcore, myself.

But I think almost everyone, especially pro's, will be defaulting to the GC controller for a good long time before we start figuring out if one is "superior".

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
I read in a thread somewhere that any controller other than the gamecube one wont be tournament viable because of interference etc. I'd like to use the wiimote + nunchuk but it might be a bit pointless if you cant use it in tournaments

Mike_Evans

Smash Rookie
Hi all, new to the boards. I lurked a long time ago, but I'm back for SSBB!

I'm also curious to see how the control scheme develops. Right now I'm playing around with the nunchuck/wiimote combo but it's hard to get over playing with the GC controller for so long. In particular I am used to shielding and jumping with my right hand, and doing those things with my left is really really weird.

There are some cool possibilities with the nun/wmt scheme though. Being able to shake the wiimote for a smash is interesting, and you can get air attacks the same way. You can set the D-pad to be all smashes too which makes it effectively the same as a c-stick. If only the A-button had a B-button right next to it, though... I keep squeezing the B-trigger and executing my special instead of shielding. :(

Qinopio

Smash Journeyman
Classic Controller is an excellent option. I've been playing for a month, and the more I use it the more I like it. All options need reconfiguring for best play though, and I prefer to disable tap jumping due to the CC's more sensitive analog stick.

rushehidaka

Smash Rookie
Hi all, new to the boards. I lurked a long time ago, but I'm back for SSBB!

I'm also curious to see how the control scheme develops. Right now I'm playing around with the nunchuck/wiimote combo but it's hard to get over playing with the GC controller for so long. In particular I am used to shielding and jumping with my right hand, and doing those things with my left is really really weird.

There are some cool possibilities with the nun/wmt scheme though. Being able to shake the wiimote for a smash is interesting, and you can get air attacks the same way. You can set the D-pad to be all smashes too which makes it effectively the same as a c-stick. If only the A-button had a B-button right next to it, though... I keep squeezing the B-trigger and executing my special instead of shielding. :(
I went ahead and switched those buttons haha. Z is my special attack and B is my shield/grab. Works amazingly, I could never go back to using the GC now.

Crazy Hobo

Smash Cadet
I don't think it matters atm, also becuase you can custome your whole control scheme. I'm sure eventually there will be character specific control setups for easier comboing.

BAND!T

Smash Cadet
classic controller was the easiest trasition from the gc for me.. and ive been practicing with it for the bestbuy tourney, so im prolly gna "main cc. im keeping the button configs too, maybe disable the tap jump so i dont use my second jump for uair. pisses me off cuz i dislike c-sticking. seems too far away for me.

SirPsychoMantis

Smash Apprentice
After a few rounds of getting use to it, I'm doing great with customized controls for the wiimote/nunchuck against everyone else using gamecube controllers. I wouldn't call myself a pro, but I really like the 'chuck combo.

LeonWorth

Smash Rookie
I went with the CC because the C-Stick on my Gc comtroller doesnt work.

It's actually a pretty good fit once I disabled tap jump and moved around some of the controls.

Now the only thing i forget to do is load my profile when I Brawl online....

Top Bottom