• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters look like they could be top tier.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
little mac is flippin annoying, and sadly hes the most common on For Glory. Punches through wayyyy too many big hits with his casual rapid A attack.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Robin, i just played some guy 1 on 1 online and he just beat up on me for 10 straight matches with Robin.

Robin's combos are incredibly good

Blueman12

Smash Rookie
NNID
Blue15324
3DS FC
1564-3456-9986
Rosalina. Seriously. I fought a beast one online in for glory and just couldn't deal, it seems that in the hands of the observant she destroys those in the hands of the even slightly reckless. Duck Hunt also, because the amount of crap he can send flying on the screen is redonk.

Mario I think is also up there. He's incredibly easy to learn and just so dang rock solid.

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
I wish I could see a good robin. My robin sucks and all the ones I played were somehow worse r about the same. Pacman is definitely in the top and nobody seems to use him. the more I use megaman, the more I want to say he's pretty good. The games that I used MM I seemed to have more control of the match than if I used, say, greninja.

HonorBasquiat

Smash Rookie
I know this sounds weird but Donkey Kong seems very good. He seems strictly better than he is was Brawl. His bair is even better than it was before, and he has this really good dash attack. Back throw can kill, he's fast, agile, recovery got better. I think he can be a sleeper candidate, and I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Wii Fit Trainer seems like a character I don't understand at all, but not in a bad way like Palutena. She has a heal move, and interesting hit boxes, and I feel has a versatile move set.

As far as LittleMac goes, I'm not really seeing the hype. He has a terrible air game, and once he's forced to recover, he's basically dead because he's very easy to edge guard and keep off the stage. Imagine how bad he'd be on a moving stage.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 268018

Before I begin, I'm going to list off characters I think are really really good, or at least pretty good. Then I'm going to label the stinkers. And then in a separate post, I'm going to share my (totally wrong) opinions on the Tier List according to me. Remember, I'm as wrong as all of you. So don't hate. Criticism is nice, though. Please. Challenge my views. AND GOSH, TELL ME HOW TO BEAT SONIC OMG I HATE HIM

BEST FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

:4sonic:
My god, Sonic is impossible to kill in the right hands. I think personally that this guy is on top. That's my vote. Right now. I can kill Shiek. I can kill Greninja. I can kill Little Mac. But I can't kill Sonic. No matter how hard I try. Playing Sonic is like gambling. You're going to lose. The combos are next to impossible to avoid, Sonic's speed makes him incredibly hard to punish. There's a huge learning curve with Sonic but I think he is the best SSB4 has to offer in terms of sheer frustration.

:4fox:
Do I have to explain this? See Fox (Melee) and Fox (Brawl).

:4sheik:
Shiek is Nimble, and quick. She is hard to punish, let alone even catch. Haven't played her much (yet), but she's good.

:4bowser:
Bowser can shrug off hits. And punch and KO really fast. Surprise of this Meta, for sure.

:4greninja:
I hate this thing. It's reach is annoying, and it has stupid attacks that annoy the crap out of me. Sure, I can kill it. But this thing is SSB4's Brawl Pikachu. All around good and annoying fast.

:4pacman:
I'd consider Pac-Man towards the bottom of the Top Tiers, but his combo ability, raw speed and air game, and counter-play with the Hydrant and Key are very nice.

:4mario:
Also should be near the bottom of the Top Tier. Mario got a nice boost. Very solid, and now FINALLY I can get some Nintendo Action without getting pummeled.

:4littlemac:
Even with Little Mac's lack of Air Game, and lack of recovery, the raw speed and power of Little Mac is simply too good to ignore. Play to your strengths when fighting Little Mac, because you're going to lose in direct combat.

:4drmario:
See Mario.

:4duckhunt:
Spam ranged attacks from afar. Run when opponent reaches you. Has a nice reach. Did I mention spamming ranged attacks?

:4palutena:
I know, these are first impressions. But MAN, the few times I used Pauletina, I rocked! Then again, every time I fought her, I took her down after a tedious dance of dodge rolling and Auto Reticle spam. Yay.

:4lucina:
Marth is going to be second fiddle to the new Top Sword player: Lucina. My prediction. Watch it come to pass. She's faster than Marth. Sure, Marth might hit harder, but he's so much easier to punish now. Maybe it's just me. But Lucina seems better. She just does. Give her and Marth a shot. Tell me what you think.

WORST FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

:4bowserjr:
Not a terrible character. But so.. SLOW. His Forward Smash is great, sure. I guess his B moves are okay. But eh. He sucks. Let's admit it right now. This guy blows. He's just too slow. The main thing you want to do is stand far away and fire stuff at your opponent. But since he can't RUN FAST, he's not that superb. At least he hits kind of hard. Oh, and his Up-B makes him look so stupid. Where does he get his new Clown Car? I don't want to answer that, because this is a 10+ game...

:4ganondorf:
See Gannondorf, Brawl. At least he's a BIT better though. Not really helping much. Probably the worst character. Again.

:4myfriends:
I like Ike. Sadly, Nintendo does not like him. He hits so hard. But he moves SO SLOW. He's okay. I guess.

:4olimar:
From first to not so first. He's just not that great anymore. And also, Laggy Pikmin FTW

:4mii:
Eh, technically doesn't count. But let's face it, all of these Mii Folk suck. Bad recovery. Their main niche is in combat. So you'd better adapt a Little Mac mindset with these guys.

Just some thoughts. Probably wrong. I did JUST get the game.

I've only played some of these guys. I'm going to play all of them, write impressions on them all, and then form some sort of 'false' Tier List.

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
So what I've gathered so far is that ZSS, Rosaluma, Little Mac, Greninja, Bowser, Yoshi and DHD all have a good chance of being top tier and honestly I believe they have a good chance as well but I don't wanna end the discussion here please if anyone else has their opinions post them here and again let me know why they have a chance of being top tier. (Strengths/Weaknesses, etc.)

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
Ok, shulk isn't one of the better characters. I'm not saying it's impossible to win as him, but unless something awesome comes up he's just under ike imo. I gone against a lot of shulks and lost once. Solely because I kept thinking, "oh, shulk...time to phone it in," every time. My problem with robin is that they're spammy characters with limited amount of spams. I get why the levin sword had limited uses, but the gimmick applying to literally all of the useful moves is silly. I like those characters, but to me people keep putting them on list cause they're cool and look potentially awesome rather than them actually being awesome. this applies to shulk more than robin. I still think robin's awesome, I just hate the gimmick as there will always be a bit where you'll have no smashes or no specials, but you know, air smash attacks and horrifying spell knockback. Shulk's still disappointing.

Last edited:

Wolfen McGunz

Smash Cadet
You know it's really funny because I never cared for :4yoshi: or :4sheik: in either Melee or Brawl, but as of now, these two are my part of my group of mains! I think it goes without saying that my mains are subject to change since its still early.

Yoshi's timing is so much better and faster, he's great on the ground, faster, and has amazing arials!

Sheik for some reason feels much better than she did for me in the last two, I don't know if she's stronger or what, but I'm loving that down + B!:lol:

Renegand

Smash Cadet
People need to give Yoshi more love, he is TROUNCING competition in my hands in this game

D

Deleted member 268018

I hate using Yoshi, I can never use him properly. Ever.

So I picked him up and used him today. He is excellent. Someone who cannot use Yoshi by any means used him and almost effortlessly wiped opponents in For Glory.

tttt

Smash Cadet
:4yoshi: He seems great in this, definitely buffed from Brawl. Maybe A or B tier.
:4littlemac:He is really popular right now but he is so easy to punish, I see him being B tier for a little then falling to C tier. Super easy to counter
:4duckhunt:A character for the troll. I can see him being pretty high.
:4palutena:Nah. Just low tier.
:4peach:Maybe pretty mid to high tier? She is a pretty good character. I could see some use from her.
:4zss:Probably gonna be high tier. Great character. Fast, powerful attacks. Been playing her quite a bit.
:4ness:Buffed a lot from previous titles. Mid tier probably. Thanks FOW.
:4megaman:SS TIER. BEST CHARACTER. SUPER AMAZING. 20XX MEGAMAN ONLY. (really bad)
:4sheik:Probably the best character in the game. Super fast, super strong, just the best.

Ian095

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eponian
3DS FC
0473-7759-5302
I've struggled a lot against :rosalina: and :4littlemac: in for glory 1v1 I definitely see them being top tier from what I've heard.

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
Before I begin, I'm going to list off characters I think are really really good, or at least pretty good. Then I'm going to label the stinkers. And then in a separate post, I'm going to share my (totally wrong) opinions on the Tier List according to me. Remember, I'm as wrong as all of you. So don't hate. Criticism is nice, though. Please. Challenge my views. AND GOSH, TELL ME HOW TO BEAT SONIC OMG I HATE HIM

BEST FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

:4sonic:
My god, Sonic is impossible to kill in the right hands. I think personally that this guy is on top. That's my vote. Right now. I can kill Shiek. I can kill Greninja. I can kill Little Mac. But I can't kill Sonic. No matter how hard I try. Playing Sonic is like gambling. You're going to lose. The combos are next to impossible to avoid, Sonic's speed makes him incredibly hard to punish. There's a huge learning curve with Sonic but I think he is the best SSB4 has to offer in terms of sheer frustration.

:4fox:
Do I have to explain this? See Fox (Melee) and Fox (Brawl).

:4sheik:
Shiek is Nimble, and quick. She is hard to punish, let alone even catch. Haven't played her much (yet), but she's good.

:4bowser:
Bowser can shrug off hits. And punch and KO really fast. Surprise of this Meta, for sure.

:4greninja:
I hate this thing. It's reach is annoying, and it has stupid attacks that annoy the crap out of me. Sure, I can kill it. But this thing is SSB4's Brawl Pikachu. All around good and annoying fast.

:4pacman:
I'd consider Pac-Man towards the bottom of the Top Tiers, but his combo ability, raw speed and air game, and counter-play with the Hydrant and Key are very nice.

:4mario:
Also should be near the bottom of the Top Tier. Mario got a nice boost. Very solid, and now FINALLY I can get some Nintendo Action without getting pummeled.

:4littlemac:
Even with Little Mac's lack of Air Game, and lack of recovery, the raw speed and power of Little Mac is simply too good to ignore. Play to your strengths when fighting Little Mac, because you're going to lose in direct combat.

:4drmario:
See Mario.

:4duckhunt:
Spam ranged attacks from afar. Run when opponent reaches you. Has a nice reach. Did I mention spamming ranged attacks?

:4palutena:
I know, these are first impressions. But MAN, the few times I used Pauletina, I rocked! Then again, every time I fought her, I took her down after a tedious dance of dodge rolling and Auto Reticle spam. Yay.

:4lucina:
Marth is going to be second fiddle to the new Top Sword player: Lucina. My prediction. Watch it come to pass. She's faster than Marth. Sure, Marth might hit harder, but he's so much easier to punish now. Maybe it's just me. But Lucina seems better. She just does. Give her and Marth a shot. Tell me what you think.

WORST FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

:4bowserjr:
Not a terrible character. But so.. SLOW. His Forward Smash is great, sure. I guess his B moves are okay. But eh. He sucks. Let's admit it right now. This guy blows. He's just too slow. The main thing you want to do is stand far away and fire stuff at your opponent. But since he can't RUN FAST, he's not that superb. At least he hits kind of hard. Oh, and his Up-B makes him look so stupid. Where does he get his new Clown Car? I don't want to answer that, because this is a 10+ game...

:4ganondorf:
See Gannondorf, Brawl. At least he's a BIT better though. Not really helping much. Probably the worst character. Again.

:4myfriends:
I like Ike. Sadly, Nintendo does not like him. He hits so hard. But he moves SO SLOW. He's okay. I guess.

:4olimar:
From first to not so first. He's just not that great anymore. And also, Laggy Pikmin FTW

:4mii:
Eh, technically doesn't count. But let's face it, all of these Mii Folk suck. Bad recovery. Their main niche is in combat. So you'd better adapt a Little Mac mindset with these guys.

Just some thoughts. Probably wrong. I did JUST get the game.

I've only played some of these guys. I'm going to play all of them, write impressions on them all, and then form some sort of 'false' Tier List.
So I played a "good" Sonic player and I can say your description cant be any farther from the truth. Also his spindash completely negates a fully charged water shuriken from greninja... -.-

D

Deleted member 269706

Pretty much everyone except for :4myfriends: and :4ganondorf:

Joking aside, I feel that Little Mac, Rosalina, Robin, Shulk, and Sheik all are pretty incredible when put in the right hands. Little mac has wayy to much power on the ground, the fact that he sucks in air is the only reason people can argue that he "is balanced". Rosalina, Robin and Shulk all require a lot of practice and experimentation, but I feel when people start to master their play styles, they will be the best of the best. And from what I've seen online, Sheik has a lot of potential... I don't know if she's going to be TOP tier, but I wouldn't be surprised to see her higher up on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 268018

So I played a "good" Sonic player and I can say your description cant be any farther from the truth. Also his spindash completely negates a fully charged water shuriken from greninja... -.-
You didn't play a 'good' sonic player then.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
So, here are my thoughts on the top tier line-up, in no particular order:

:4link:Link has, overall, a better projectile game than any Smash incarnation yet. His ground game is also the best it has been, with the very large and noticeable buffs he's garnered, especially with the Spin Attack, Dash Attack, Up Smash and Down Smash (back) being the most effected of the bunch in buffs. His aerial game is a lot better too, as he still seems to have the IASA frames with him (or his Back Air is that fast), and can finally have the D-Air land lag he deserves (which is practically little). Overall, he deserves a top tier spot, and if not top tier, high tier. S to A Tier Tops.

:4lucina:Lucina is a spectacular character to pick up, and bests Marth in every way; she even has a few of her own tipper attacks (trust me, she does have those, though it's so far only two attacks). Lucina trumps Marth because she uses the power throughout her entire sword, not just the tip, and can be used much more easily and efficiently than him. And due to Marth being...well...nerfed and having less of a sword range than Lucina, she's going to see much more tournament viability. She would also be down to A tier at lowest.

:4littlemac:While he does have bad air game, he definitely makes up for it in the ground game. His punches come out so swift, so sudden, and so powerful. He also has strong armor on his smash attacks, and with the KO Uppercut, you can definitely kiss a stock goodbye at 32% damage from this guy. His up smash is incredibly strong when used at the sweetspot (fire hit), and his forward smash is somewhat of an unpredictable one due to having three different sets of moves. His Counter somewhat rivals that of Lucina's, but only for a strong hit can he truly devastate the opponent. A tier is also lowest for him.

:rosalina:Okay, beyond the fact she can juggle with her U-Air, and all of her attacks are double-hitters, what more is there to say about Rosalina and Luma? She's pretty much the Ice Climbers 2.0, and from experience, most people would want to go for the Luma, so that gives me more time to set up attacks while they are distracted. As well, if I'm in a grab and being pummeled, let's just use my Luma to escape. Pretty much a grab and go character that can take the tournament spots up there.

:4sheik:With her spectacular aerials, and even better ground game, having much more powerful attacks means Sheik is far better than any Smash iteration to date, and with the fact that she has better moves that can end up in finishers, she's got what it takes to become far better than anyone else by a milestone. Also, that Bouncing Fish attack...that's some powerful stuff right there, since it can send your opponent flying to their doom at mid-percentages, at mid-stage. Did I mention her D-Air is now a meteor edge-guard tool?

:4bowser:Yes, an obvious choice, but if you've seen him, you pretty much know why he's here.

Now, as well with top tier, I'd also have to have High Tier impressions as well:

:4ganondorf:Now you might be going, "Why Ganondorf?" It's simple, since he has been buffed beyond comprehension compared to Brawl. Sure, you may say he's about the same, but even little things matter. His Flame Choke can easily lead up into his D-Tilt no problem (unless a tech is involved, where you can still tech chase), his Wizard Foot is better on air and ground, and due to his little halting lag during his run, it's easier to use the grounded version. His recovery is much better, coupled with his better air speed. Talking about the air, his aerial attacks all come out much, much faster and happen to be very strong, too. A notable example is his up air, which has some insane speed now.

:4darkpit:Dark Pit is simply a better version of Pit, due to his better and stronger attacks, and far better ground game. His Electroshock Arm also deals a ton of damage and knockback, and even has heavy armor tied to it, so you can get through almost any attack with it. While he is practically a heavier version of Pit, that weight still matters for him.

:4palutena:Unlike most people who think she's top, I don't. While she does have some harsh counters on certain characters (Mega Man), her normal attacks aren't as good. Now, her up-air has little utility due to its low range, but her down air is far better against opponents. Her forward aerial is also good and comparable to Zelda's, and her back aerial is great as well. Her grounded attacks are very decent, coupled with her wings and the high range up smash. Though ranged fighters better watch out for her.

As with this, there's the low and bottom tier impressions...take a look:

:4tlink:A now-inferior version of Link, due to having slower attacks and a worse air speed than Link now. His attacks are far weaker than the other's, and even to the point where using Toon Link's D-air off the stage is no longer an option against your opponent, unless you want to be SD'd. While he does have good traits to him, his recovery move, if you've all noticed, needs far more momentum than Link's, and what's to top it off, is that Toon Link's recovery literally makes him stop going at the end, meaning you'll pretty much be in for a bad time with him when trying to recover...

:4dk:Even with any significant buffs, Donkey Kong still doesn't have much to offer on the table, since his attacks are practically the same, and some are even slower than they were originally. He's also one of the largest characters in the game, and unlike almost all the others, almost none of his attacks grant him strong armor, meaning you're pretty much using a worse version of Bowser or Ganondorf than anything.

:4megaman:Like the overhyped Destiny game, right? Due to the immensely large amount of reflecting and auto-blocking (Link) characters, Mega Man, due to being mostly a ranged fighter, will not be so good in this game than originally perceived. In fact, he's going to be bottom tier due to the gimmicky, hard-to-use air game, too many projectiles, no F-Tilt attack, and very laggy and predictable smash attacks. His F-Smash can even be blocked by a walking Link, or even worse, reflected or countered by almost every other character. While he does have a good recovery, his falling speed hinders him on that.

:4villager:Villager is one of those characters who are fun to use, but terrible overall. First off, let me get to his aerials; they are among the worst that Smash has ever had, since his F and B-Air attacks are near useless unless point blank, his U-Air has terrible knockback, his D-Air also has terrible knockback and his N-air is the only decent aerial attack. His grounded attacks are all really, really slow and are just pretty much worthless. His F-Smash, while dealing heavy damage and knockback, is...well, one of the slowest in the game. His D-Smash is very laggy, and if your opponent isn't high enough, they can escape and parry you. Onto specials...while Pocket is a good move in itself, Lloid Rocket on the other hand...well...remember that anything can deal with that; it's too predictable. His recovery is, however, one of the best or worst depending on who's gonna hit you (it's the worst against Duck Hunt...or Link...or Palutena). His Down Special is just way...too...slow, even for its power. I've...never lost a battle against him actually.

These are my impressions so far, and are just my opinions about the characters. Some seem to be too gimmicky and not so viable, while others seem very, very useful in the line of battle. If I've not listed any, that means they stand in middle tier or I've not used them to fullest extent yet.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Everyone's ignoring :4wario:.

From what I've played, he has potential to be high tier like in Brawl. It seems like they kept his campy specials and made his neutral game much more combo based.

Other characters I've played/fought and think will be high tier:
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4dedede::4jigglypuff::4metaknight::4marth::4pacman::4greninja::4lucario::4robinm::rosalina::4sheik::4wario2:

:4littlemac: is gonna end up in the middle or bottom honestly. Really restricted playstyle.

Characters I think will be low tier (not bottom, just lower than most of the cast. The tiers are a little less spread out this time in my opinon. No one really flat out sucks) :
:4luigi::4ganondorf::4link::4megaman::4olimar::4zelda:

I have no idea: :4falcon::4charizard::4darkpit::4diddy::4dk::4drmario::4falco::4fox::4myfriends::4kirby::4lucina::4mario::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4ness::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::4rob::4samus::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zss:

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
You didn't play a 'good' sonic player then.
Lol I worded that weird idk why basically I got bopped by Sonic sooo much pressure and apparently his homing attack is a kill move now. But yeah I meant to agree with you but worded my message weird sorry for the confusion.

Top Bottom