• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what characters are easy to get good with

monkeyaluffy

Smash Rookie
i like shulk,caption falcon,lucario, greninja, pit, ganon, zelda, i play these 7 character but i am not really very good with any of them. i can win about half my for glory matches if i am lucky. of the character i listed which ones do not require alot of advance techniques to get really good with.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
meh, C. falcon isn't THAT hard to use, Shulk has easy basics but hard techniques and combos, but the easiest is probably Lucario. Only if you're patient, though.

If you want to switch to a new main, Bowser jr, Palutena, and Luigi are all characters who don't take much to learn, in my opinion.

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
Lucina is basically a Marth but you don't have to worry about spacing as much, if that appeals to you.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Pit, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, and Lucario are probably the most straightforward. Ganondorf's recovery is pretty poor, though, and Captain Falcon is very combo-dependent, so I'd go with Pit or Lucario of those.

Unowninator

Smash Cadet
Well, you could start with Little Mac. Because his air attacks & recovery are so poor, you don't need to know as much to use him. Just to get started...

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Well, you could start with Little Mac. Because his air attacks & recovery are so poor, you don't need to know as much to use him. Just to get started...
I disagree with this entirely. Being good with little mac almost doesn't train you at all to be good with any other character. It might help you learn to roll and read opponents properly though.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I would say...

Mario. He is designed to be a balanced beginner, but most characters have cons that are heavier than their pros. Making a balanced character seem stronger than it should be.

Marth, since spacing is easy and you are very likely to hit with the stronger half of your sword. Lucina is easier to use if you find yourself too close for comfort a lot.

Captain Falcon has easy to land kill moves and his speed means whiffing doesn't hurt as much.

ZSS is a ranged Captain Falcon with more tilt speed. So yeah.

Sheik has no delay and has annoying anti-dodge projectiles.

Yoshi because Dair is actually OP AND he is very annoying thanks to his magically changing hitbox.

Diddy and Rosaluma because lol duh.

DO NOT USE:
Zelda
Palutena
Olimar
Ike
Ganondorf
Pikachu
Wii Fit Trainer

They are anything but beginner friendly.

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
Of the 7 you listed I would say Captain Falcon is the easiest to pick up overall awesome character that if I had to main I wouldn't personally mind too much. Truthfully? Go with Bowser, he is truly the most OP character in the game imo, his UP B is so sick, you can use it in the air to get to the ground, you can use it to ledge guard, and you it has excellent recovery in its own rights.

Little Mac would be my second suggestion, he is so quick and so powerful, sometimes when I am playing decent as Greninja players who aren't quite as skilled can put some pretty good %s on me by simply mashing the A button in a lot of situations. Forward tilt for most others situations, lightning fast counter and you have an overall easy to use killer.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
out of your characters i say go with Pit. He is pretty straight forward, has great and fast smash attacks, astounding arial gameplay, reliable punish options and a great projectile. Getting used to him really isn't all that tough, he has something for almost every situation (recovery, reflector, projectile) and is just decent all-around.

Maybe try getting a Pit amiibo, you may learn a little bit from it, too! :-)

monkeyaluffy

Smash Rookie
ty for all the replays i appreciate it. i am a defense player i shield a lot and weight for mistakes to punish ppl. not sure if that play style is good for which characters.

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3
ty for all the replays i appreciate it. i am a defense player i shield a lot and weight for mistakes to punish ppl. not sure if that play style is good for which characters.
I know some of the above post advise against it but if that's the play style you like, reading opponents and punishing hard, I'd definitely suggest giving ganon a bit more time. Trying not to sound too biased but I feel like he's one of the hardest punishing characters in smash 4, you just have to learn how to be patient with a character that's also fairly easy to read by good players.

Tacticulbacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tacticulbacon
If you like, pick up ganondorf and spam side b and follow up with down tilt or use it at the edge.

I do this everytime and I get at least one stock every match before I lose.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Mario, Sheik, Fox, Link, ZSS, and ROB I feel are very straightforward. Of those, ROB and Link are the most defensive.

Of the 7 you posted though, I would go for Lucaio or Ganondorf. Honestly, my opinion is that you should play who you WANT to play and work on getting them better, because your heart will probably be in it more. I don't think I could bring myself to improving my Rosaluma or Diddy when I don't care very much for either one.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
This depends on what kind of playstyle you prefer.
Do you like sitting back and projectile camping? Duck Hunt, Megaman, Link/Toon Link, and Samus are worth a shot.
Do you like rushing up to your opponents and beating them down? Falcon, Zero Suit Samus, and Little Mac are worth a try.
Do you prefer engaging enemies at a safe distance but still close enough to inflict damage? Practicing spacing with Lucina is a good starting point. Bowser is also good because many of his attacks have good range and damage.
Heavy characters tend to be easier to pick up because they inflict more damage and launch power per hit, meaning it arguably takes less effort than a long string of attacks or combos by other lighter and weaker characters to reach the same point.

Someone earlier said Bowser Jr is easy to learn.
That is false. He is relatively slow but doesn't pack Bowser's raw power, and instead relies on fake outs, reads, and tricky moves like his mechakoopa. Do not start with him. It's easier using Bowser himself.

Blond

Smash Rookie
NNID
Clindian
I recommend Mario,
he has a projectile, good tilts, and a decent air game. His up-b is something to help learn how time correctly with moves, as well as side-b. His fireball will help you learn how to use a projectile for approach or just general pressure. The infamous up-tilt to up air combo to help realize opportunity. The down smash comes out quick and on both both sides and the range for side smash is nothing to scoff at.. Finally, a lovely spike that requires some risk for when you want to have some fun.

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
i would do captain falcon, try looking up jtails' tutorial video for him: its actually really good.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Go Mario. Easy to play and pretty strong character too. Get a Down Throw into Up Tilts into Up B for ~35% at the start.

Top Bottom