• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What character should I main?

xCamBo13x

Smash Rookie
I've been playing smash casually for a while now and just started to get into competitive (I know I'm a bit late! Haha) and I recently got project m. I was wondering who do you think is the easiest character learn how to play competitively with? Who has the easiest tech skill to learn? I like playing with lucario and kirby but is lucarios combos easy to learn? Give me your opinion on who I should play with and who is a good but easy to learn competitive character

foshio

Smash Journeyman
My personal advice is to not go for the easiest but to go for the one you enjoy the most. This game is not so much about combos (although combos are obviously very important) as it is about understanding positioning, strategy and opponents. Although some characters have easier neutrals, it is a personal stylistic choice of who people's mains are. I am not a successful marth player despite marth's great dash dance and grab range. I am a much better fox/lucas player, not sure why... it just suits me. If you like how lucario feels, stick with him, he has great options and with practice comes success.

yttik

Keep playing with Lucario and Kirby in a competitive setting. I found this, a video going over the basics of Lucario. It's 3.02 though so keep that in mind.

Mean Green

Smash Lord
:fox::falco::wolf::lucas::roypm::marth::sheik: for a relatively easy time with 1 char alone.
:toonlink::metaknight::ness2::gw::mario2::sonic::samus2::mewtwopm::ganondorf::pikachu2::ike::snake: Are also worth considering, but won't be as easy. Same for:lucario: though he requires a bit of practice. Predictability and speed are Kirby's main flaws, but if you like using him, go for it.

I pretty much second Foshio's entire post. I've seen every character used at high level, and I believe they're all viable.

Last edited:

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
My personal advice is to not go for the easiest but to go for the one you enjoy the most.
This. If you want to play competitively, that means you're going to be practicing tech, and practicing is less dull when you're using a character you enjoy.

Plus, you shouldn't worry much about focusing on a "bad" character. Most of Project M's cast is viable, and since Project M's balancing is actively worked on by the Dev team, the tier-list isn't set in stone, and I doubt it's been fully explored. It's always possible you might find a new viable style of play for your favorite character.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
:fox::falco::wolf::lucas::mario2::sonic::snake::roypm::ike::marth::sheik: for a relatively easy time with 1 char alone.
:toonlink::metaknight::ness2::gw::samus2::mewtwopm::ganondorf::pikachu2: Are also worth considering, but won't be as easy. Same for:lucario: though he requires a bit of practice. Predictability and speed are Kirby's main flaws, but if you like using him, go for it.

I pretty much second Foshio's entire post. I've seen every character used at high level, and I believe they're all viable.
I dunno if I'd put Snake or Ike on that top list. Playing them may be reasonably simple, but playing them effectively is much harder than playing someone like GnW in my opinion. Mario, Roy, Marth, and Shiek are all great for beginners, though.

All in all, though, yes, definitely play who you enjoy playing most. Lucario can be very challenging to learn more completely, and since his neutral is pretty bad, he may not be the best for starters, but I think there are guides out there that can help you get started.

Foo

Smash Lord
I've been playing smash casually for a while now and just started to get into competitive (I know I'm a bit late! Haha) and I recently got project m. I was wondering who do you think is the easiest character learn how to play competitively with? Who has the easiest tech skill to learn? I like playing with lucario and kirby but is lucarios combos easy to learn? Give me your opinion on who I should play with and who is a good but easy to learn competitive character
Going with the easier is generally not the best way to go. You want to pick whichever character you enjoy the most, and get really good with them. You could just randomly pick characters until one stands out, but I could give you a recommendation based on your playstyle.

What do you prefer, speed and mobility or control, range or close quarters, floaty or fast falling, big or small, careful or aggressive? Etc. etc. Just tell me about the kind of player you are, and I'm sure I could point you in the right direction.

xCamBo13x

Smash Rookie
Going with the easier is generally not the best way to go. You want to pick whichever character you enjoy the most, and get really good with them. You could just randomly pick characters until one stands out, but I could give you a recommendation based on your playstyle.

What do you prefer, speed and mobility or control, range or close quarters, floaty or fast falling, big or small, careful or aggressive? Etc. etc. Just tell me about the kind of player you are, and I'm sure I could point you in the right direction.
I like Kirby the best and i'd say he is my best character to play with so I think i will follow what you said and try to practice kirby more, but i preffer being a more aggressive mobile smallish character and I am good in the air so i prefer floaty characters like kirby. Is there another character similar to kirby you think I could try out?

Cahalan

Smash Ace
The general consensus here is main who you enjoy using the most, and I agree.
However you necessarily don't have to master ALL advanced techniques to be viable in the tournament scene.
For example while I was testing out a new GC controller I got for Christmas I was playing with :roypm: and was going against a random lvl.9 CPU on a random stage. While on :pirateship: I was against a green :metaknight: and I 4-stocked him even though I barely know how to do a decent wavedash at best in terms of advanced techniques, I can't even L-cancel for goodness sakes. A common misconception is that pro smash players (especially in Melee/PM) know all these advanced techniques and are essentially "Smash Gods". But this is usually never the case as even the pros have their missteps and IMHO a good smash player can use his/her favorites on any stage and still come out on top.

Narpas_sword

The pros definitely know wavedashing and Lcancelling.

Even if they don't wavedash a lot because it isn't needed as much for their main, they know it.
And they all Lcancel.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Imma give advice now

Step 1 : Try everyone. I don't just mean one match and that's it. Experiment and learn with every character until you feel you are done with them. Go to Smashboards and learn the basics of the character. With everyone. As in every single character. I didn't like Samus until I learned her and I guarentee you'll like characters you didn't like before.

Step 2 : Narrow it down. You should know what characters you like. Whether it's half the cast or 3, go to training mode and just feel them out. Move, jump, and attack as if it were for the first time. Try to do the longest combos you possibly can which each character and just experiment.

Step 3 : Play to win. So now out of the characters that you like and feel right, pick the one you win with most. That would be your top tiers and high tiers, but also your easier characters. You can't have more than 2 mains. Now learn everything you can about your character, play every single chance you get to play that character and nobody else ( at least seriously ), and... get goodz!

MysticSkarps

Smash Cadet
Use characters that just feel right to play. Once you have a character you want to use, just use that.

Top Bottom