• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What character is the easiest do use for a noob?

hknutsen

Smash Rookie
So I used to play Brawl, but not for long. My main was Kirby, and I did pretty well in 1v1. I decided to pick up SSB4 for the Wii U, and I can't quite settle on a character to play. What would you consider the easier characters to use? I'm leaning towards Luigi. He's got pretty good speed (not too much, I'm not that quick on the controller), and he packs a decent punch. If you would recommend Luigi, do you have any quick tips for using him?

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
I don't know much, but I would say whatever you enjoy playing the most.

Mr.Shameless

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrShameless
3DS FC
5301-0935-0975
To be honest, i recommend you to mario... He,s got a decent ariel and ground game.. Projectiles and can reflect them. Pretty generic yet room for lots of growth..kirdy's a good pick too. Luigis not bad, if you do chose luigi, try fireball->grab->downthrow->foward air-> another fair/ down air if you think you can pull it off/ or start charging the luigi missile and hitem with that..
Happy gaming

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
Rosaluma has a pretty damn low skill floor if you have a basic understanding of the game. Sure she has an incredibly steep learning curve but she is beginners friendly too, like if you get grabbed, you just mash buttons and Luma can help you out, and her smashes are very powerful and simple to land with long range, very good recovery and air game, only problem comes when someone understands how to play versus Rosaluma, but otherwise you're going to have a pretty easy time.

Try Mario or Little Mac for some simple and easy to understand movesets too.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I second the Rosalina bit.

Also Link and Toon Link are pretty easy too and teach a lot of different things that are part of the game.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
I've been demolished by good Luigis before. I suggest checking out the Luigi character discussion board for tips on using him.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Luigi isn't easy, but he sure is fun.

Kirby is all right for beginners, but use someone with two regular jumps, since most characters have them and you can get used to jumping properly.

Mario is a good character for beginners, same with Yoshi.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Newer players tend to lean toward Pit and Kirby in my experience, then find someone else as their skills develop.
Honestly, don't listen to recommendations on specific characters, they don't work. Play whoever you feel comfortable playing, because you won't do as well or have any fun otherwise. This game is extremely balanced and there are no bad picks. If you like Luigi, check out his character sub-forum. You'll find lots of tips there.

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
Stick with Kirby. He's pretty noob friendly, not bad, and you have experience.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Everyone will find different characters easy IMO, mainly because everyone has different playing styles and tastes. Most characters can be picked up rather easily, but mastering them however, is a different story.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Like people have said, it's highly dependent on your playstyle, but my general recommendations for straightforward characters are:

:4mario:/:4drmario:, :4pit:/:4darkpit:, and :4link:/:4tlink:

These characters have lots of physical attack variety, as well as at least one projectile. The first 4 also have a reflector to reverse opposing projectiles, which can make dealing with projectile-spamming newbies easier before you're practiced at shielding/dodging.

The following are the more gimmicky characters I would avoid if you want a simple introduction to the game. That said, if one of them feels good, go for it. Their gimmicks are all really fun once you get used to them, and the learning curves aren't that high. I adore Shulk, and I'm by no means an expert player.

:4robinm:, :4lucario:, :4olimar:, :rosalina:, :4marth:, :4littlemac:, :4shulk:

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
So I used to play Brawl, but not for long. My main was Kirby, and I did pretty well in 1v1. I decided to pick up SSB4 for the Wii U, and I can't quite settle on a character to play. What would you consider the easier characters to use? I'm leaning towards Luigi. He's got pretty good speed (not too much, I'm not that quick on the controller), and he packs a decent punch. If you would recommend Luigi, do you have any quick tips for using him?
Mario. He's fairly simple, He has a pretty standard size and weight. pretty standard jumps and third jump. Some easy to learn combos and a projectile to get used to. Also he's a good average speed. Easy to learn, hard to master. Plus getting used to him will have benefits in using mostly any other character. If mario's not your cup of tea, Cpt falcon is another good choice. Although he might be a bit too fast for some players to start with, but if you can manage it, falcon really teaches players to capitalize on the opponents mistakes and learn to read them which is probably the most valuable skill in smash.

Other than that.. Marth/lucina is pretty easy to be decent with. But very hard to master. But even a beginner can land a few hits with marth. Lucina is considered a little easier to play because her sword hits in a more standard fashion.

If you are trying to just pick a character who can sneak out a few wins right now, and won't necessarily be a tool in making you a more skilled player i suggest Link or Little Mac. Link can be a master spammer and can always sneak out some wins, and is actually a very technical and good character if you care to learn his more advanced tech. Little mac will always be good for a lucky win or two with his KO punch, and using him might help you get used to the timing on rolling and countering.

ArtheXavier

Smash Rookie
NNID
arthexavier
I also recommend either Mario or Dr. Mario, or Link, who I think is a generally easy-to-grasp character with some powerful basic moves and projectiles. The thing with Link is that his speed is moderate, and his pacing is pretty easy to learn. His recovery-options are good enough, and he is just fun to play in my opinion.

With that said, try different characters and just pick one that you find appealing. Some characters rely more heavily on mind-games and combos than others, but there are no super-difficult, you-have-to-be-an-expert -type of characters in Smash 4, a lá Zato-1 in Guilty Gear XRD -Sign-. Which, by the way, is a good thing. :)

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
Most beginners enjoy just charging in , I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Lucina. Lucina is a simpler character to play, no projectiles to worry about and a good rounded character.

Luigi is also a simpler character despite what some might say. I'd just play whoever appeals to me.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I see Pit alot, but tons of Mario too. Pit wins out for the jumps and projectile though. Pit actually has a fair learning curve once you get into the nitty-gritty though, which means many jump ship after awhile.

1amayzingman

Smash Cadet
NNID
1amayzingman
If you're new, Mario is certainly the way to go. Pretty balanced, not really many weaknesses, good aerial attacks, one can find great use of his cape with good timing as well.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I recommend whoever is your favorite (from either past Smash games or from your favorite represented game franchise). If you don't have one, or don't like that method of choosing, then Mario is a good all-rounder. Luigi has some... odd traits that aren't really normal to the rest of the cast.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
Everyone will find different characters easy IMO, mainly because everyone has different playing styles and tastes. Most characters can be picked up rather easily, but mastering them however, is a different story.
i feel like those characters picks you, you don't pick them. I don't think anyone can say "i wanna play bowser" and then play bowser, it's more like you try him, if he feels right, you try to main him. For example for Marth, i was just doing "clear all-star mode with every fighter" challenge, (my only main was rosalina), then he felt right, i started using him, now i'm a Marth main. I think that's the story, so you should try and find the best character for you, it's true that some characters are noob friendly, but that's not how you learn and play this game. You need to use a character you'll actually main later.

Last edited:

civson

Smash Rookie
Depends on what you want.

If you want something easy you can jump into stick with Kirby.

If you want something that's easy to develop your basic skills with Lucina's probably the best choice.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
Mario or Link are the best choices. Mario is pretty much the Jack of all trades when it comes to this game. Link is good if you want to train your projectile game. Once you master one of these guys, then the rest shouldn't be that hard to master. Do keep in mind though, all characters are different from others. So if you were to develop a strategy for a certain character, it will not work for ALL characters in the game. Play with the characters that fit your style, learn they're traits, and develop different strategies for each of them.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The following characters are literally built for beginners in that they have easy to understand movesets that also cover a lot different areas. They are also fairly safe in that they are not too quick and not too slow, have a fair amount of power, and have good recoveries:

:4mario::4kirby::4lucario::4lucina::4myfriends::4pit::4pikachu::4yoshi::4tlink:

I entirely advise against Rosalina as being beginner friendly, despite her being one of the best characters in the game. Her moves have unorthodox hit boxes, some odd effects (D-Air literally has 4 different hit boxes, each with a different effect), Launch Star is effective but takes getting used to, and in general, this character is really two in one, and therefore, requires double the learning and requires you split your attention.

Last edited:

ernesth200

Smash Rookie
For a noob? Mii Fighters. With the customizable move sets and all it's kind of expected.

EZdelFresco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaliKid_E
I see a lot of beginners gravitate to Little Mac and punch until the sun comes up. Other than that, I see a lot of Ikes as well which is surprising because you actually do need to know some better move options to go with so you wont get punished so heavily. But they mostly just jab and spam fsmash in hopes of getting lucky.

josephf5

Smash Rookie
NNID
josephf5
When I first played Smash Bros. way back on the N64, I originally used Kirby, because it was easy to make it back on the stage with him. That seemed to be help out a lot as I learned how to play the game. If you're new to the game, you're probably going to get thrown off the stage a lot. So it's useful to have a character with a good recovery.

Shin Chie

Smash Apprentice
When I picked my mains I tested out all of the characters and picked which ones I like. But others I chose before Sm4sh came out. Like for example :4megaman:. He's my favorite game character, so he was an immediate main. But for other characters like:fox64: :marthmelee::marth::4sheik:. I played them and loved playing as them lol. I think you should choose characters based on the ones you like playing as and the characters you like the most. I don't know much, but I hoped I helped a bit lol

aquaticpineapples

Smash Apprentice
I'm also a beginner, so I checked out this thread and decided to temporarily main as Mario. I've been playing him a week now, and I have one question: How long should I use Mario until I'm good enough to switch to another character that is more advanced and harder to use? Usually in 1v1 for glory I can take off one stock from my opponent and deal a bit more damage until I lose the battle.

Vangoro

Smash Rookie
I would definitely recommend Mario to a beginner. His moves are pretty straight forward. He can deflect projecties with his side b, He can do a nasty combo (Down Grab+uptilt+uptilt+uptilt+upair+backair [or f-air]). He has projectiles(neutral b). I think his dash attack is pretty good as well. + he his f-air spikes which is awesome. :p

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
I'm also a beginner, so I checked out this thread and decided to temporarily main as Mario. I've been playing him a week now, and I have one question: How long should I use Mario until I'm good enough to switch to another character that is more advanced and harder to use? Usually in 1v1 for glory I can take off one stock from my opponent and deal a bit more damage until I lose the battle.
Keep going with Mario then. There is absolutely no character in the game that's purely just "new players use him until they understand the game better" - not even Little Mac is like that. Also, Mario is probably one of the best Jack of All Trades characters, whereas Fox and Pit both have those qualities (good smashes and tilts, a projectile special, a reflect special, a good but punishable recovery, and a spacing/damage special to round out) but still play in completely unique ways. Stick with Mario, improve on him, and you're good to go. If you want to play more characters like him, Dr. Mario, Pit, or Fox would be the way to go, or just play around with characters and see which you like playing with the most.

Last edited:
Top Bottom