• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What can we tell about gameplay from the trailer?

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
I don't think it's a clash. The flame sword probably has a disjointed hitbox, so if Mario's fair had higher priority, it would not be affected by the flame sword, and (since it is a disjoint hitbox with no hurtbox) go right through.

Someone correct me if that's wrong, it's been a while since I've looked at the way Smash handles priorities and disjoint hitboxes.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Seems a fair bit faster than Brawl, but not up to Melee speed. I noticed that Samus is still pretty floaty, so that's not totally gone. The fighting seems a bit faster, but that might just be the attack effects that create that illusion.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'm drawing from all of the new material that has been released so it's from the first trailer, the megaman trailer, the wii fit trailer, the nintendo direct developer interview trailer, and screen shots.

To me it seems like the fighting is a little faster though the jumping seems similar to Brawl.

Bowser has been tweaked his dash attack, f-a, and what seems to be n-a are all different plus he seems to move quicker. Hopefully this is a trend that more characters are going to see new tweaks such as Gannondorf the mother ****ing main villain of the zelda series needs his own move set!

The ring looks like a boxing ring I would say that's a pretty good nod towards Little Mac being in it. Not a definite but certainly a decent nod.

Samus seems to have been tweaked as well she has some sort of new kick that I don't recognize as a normal part of her move set and final smashes are back as well it seem and so is the zero lazer but there's no inclination if this will result in ZSS like in brawl.

It looks like Pit's up B has been tweaked as well he seems to take flight much quicker in the trailer than he does in brawl plus he's got new moves but they've been talked about officially so no point in restating them here.

There's some other stuff I noticed as well but I got to get going I might update this more later.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Brawl was very successful and from a wide perspective more liked than Melee. Not talking about competition at all. The people on this site are a small fraction of players that see it from a different angle.

Getting only 1 airdodge is not fun, especially with items on.

Being stuck in hitstun is not fun, losing control of your character for long periods of time is not fun. Casual players do not think "dang i screwed up and now im in a combo, let me work on that".

Anyone who thought they would be reverting back to Melee style in any way is delusional. Melee is faster, but its crude and unpolished (which is part of why its so fast). Most of the things we like come from oversights of the programmers that allow deeper more complex movements.

pit will likely have a whole new moveset as he just had his own new game with lots of weapons and gadgets for him

little mac had a new game too after brawl so who knows...

Steelia

Smash Champion
It's called "hitlag". >_>

And I really doubt they'll change it. They don't understand the competitive reasoning behind why it should be lower for some electric moves.
I could care less what the technical term is, just the fact that it exists and it looks sloppy. Using a standing stunned pose animation in midair when electrified... Really?
But thanks for the proper term. I'll still try keeping that in mind.

The game certainly looks faster-paced compared to the previous installment. But really, after giving the videos a few more views, the style so far feels more on a league of its own. Some elements imported from SSBB, yes, but I have a feeling those are just placeholders until they get something more solid down... It's pretty interesting, actually.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Hopefully the slow physics are only there because they were ported from Brawl, and they are going to be changed.
And this whole time they've only been working on modifying their old models and textures by upgrading them to HD plus remaking/making new stages?

Puh-leaze

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm kind of thinking the same, but I don't want to be TOO pessimistic. I've already lost most of my hope roster wise, so if I start giving up on gameplay too I'll just get depressed. Or as depressed as you can get from a video game, anyway.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Watch the Sakurai as Mega Man vs the other guy as Mario video. I noticed that the damage percent numbers are now a metallic gradient and change to yellow then to red. I think they look nice.

gnosis

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rqxDPJmO6f8#t=270

Is it just me, or did Mario's fair clash with Mega Mans flame sword? I swore you couldn't clash in the air before, it had to be either air to ground or both ground.

Does look to be a clash. Previously only projectiles and grounded moves could clash (not even air-to-ground like you listed). That said, I've heard that things like Zamus's nair are actually tagged as projectiles and can clash in Brawl, so Mega Man's fair hit box may just be considered a projectile.

Tesh

Smash Hero
well we know mario was using his fair, but we dont know what they flaming move megaman used was.

aerials can clash with specials in brawl so its entirely possible that flame attack is megaman's side B or something.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
It's fair. Uair shoots out a tornado projectile, dair is hard knuckle, bair slashes behind him. Not sure about nair though, might be buster but that sounds awk.

Top Bottom