• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What can I do to further improve my ZSS?

DragonBall_Zack

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone! I want to improve my ZSS playstyle further. I have been practising like mad the spacing of ZSS's moves, learning RAR (I have yet to fully integrate it into my matches) and reading my opponent. I've also been trying to tone down my over-reliance on Paralyser, Grab & Flip Jump.

I've uploaded a few matches to YouTube of me battling my friend. He used to regularly beat me by "dictating" the match but now it seems I have the upper hand in our battles (I have to admit the internet connection was somewhat laggy during our matches, so you may see me do N-Airs in the air for no reason). If you could kindly watch through them and give me some feedback/advice on what I should work on, I would be very, very grateful. Thank you.

Last edited:

Pickles_211

Smash Rookie
1) Add in a lot more SHFF nairs. They are one of ZSS's best tools in neutral and if spaced correctly are almost unpunishable on shield. You tend to use zair more, which has a more specific hitbox, and I think zair is better in general.
2) You roll a LOT. I used to have the same rolling habits that you did. What fixed it for me was going FD 99 lives with my brother and killing myself every time I rolled. It fixed my habits in 1 day. Anyway, ZSS is a very fast character and I find that running (either running away or running behind them and pivot grabbing/tilting) is much better than rolling. I either run or spot dodge instead of rolling.
3) You said this, but yeah, use paralyzer less. It's not terrible, but it has a decent amount of end lag, so try to only use it in neutral otherwise you can get punished.
4) Use dash attack less. It's a good mix-up, but it's too laggy to be used as a standard approach. I like to approach with SHFF nairs or pivot grabs occasionally.
5) This could be a random thing that just looks different, but I think you use your double jump too much. You should try to get back to the ground because you get to keep you second jump and also because her attacks space well with a short hop.
Pretty good in general though, you had a couple combos and mix-ups that were good (like the stand there to up b against the Jigglypuff). Also I like the alt choice (that's the one I use too)
Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

DragonBall_Zack

Smash Cadet
1) Add in a lot more SHFF nairs. They are one of ZSS's best tools in neutral and if spaced correctly are almost unpunishable on shield. You tend to use zair more, which has a more specific hitbox, and I think zair is better in general.
2) You roll a LOT. I used to have the same rolling habits that you did. What fixed it for me was going FD 99 lives with my brother and killing myself every time I rolled. It fixed my habits in 1 day. Anyway, ZSS is a very fast character and I find that running (either running away or running behind them and pivot grabbing/tilting) is much better than rolling. I either run or spot dodge instead of rolling.
3) You said this, but yeah, use paralyzer less. It's not terrible, but it has a decent amount of end lag, so try to only use it in neutral otherwise you can get punished.
4) Use dash attack less. It's a good mix-up, but it's too laggy to be used as a standard approach. I like to approach with SHFF nairs or pivot grabs occasionally.
5) This could be a random thing that just looks different, but I think you use your double jump too much. You should try to get back to the ground because you get to keep you second jump and also because her attacks space well with a short hop.
Pretty good in general though, you had a couple combos and mix-ups that were good (like the stand there to up b against the Jigglypuff). Also I like the alt choice (that's the one I use too)
Good luck and have fun!
Thank you for the feedback. I didn't realise how much I roll until you mentioned it haha (I used to be worse but I've worked on toning it down a bit). I'll work on kicking that habit fully however lol. Thanks again for the reply, I'll work on the issues you pointed out. :).

Jayse14

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jayse14
I noticed you don't use her jab too often. Her jab is actually quite good, and comes out almost instantly after landing (unless you're doing something with a lot of end-lag like Dair). FF Nair or Uair can lead right into a jab when you land.

It seems like your ZSS play is coming along really well though! I thought your use of Up-B out of shield was particularly great. I'm curious as to what button layout you use for them. Tap to jump on or something else?

Keep practicing!

TheTwistedHero

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheTwistedHero
It looks like you dont have your short hops down. Get that down and throw in Nairs and youre in buisness. Your goal with ZSS is to dictate the flow yourself, and make them play your game. Basically do what your friend does by "dictating" the match

DragonBall_Zack

Smash Cadet
I noticed you don't use her jab too often. Her jab is actually quite good, and comes out almost instantly after landing (unless you're doing something with a lot of end-lag like Dair). FF Nair or Uair can lead right into a jab when you land.

It seems like your ZSS play is coming along really well though! I thought your use of Up-B out of shield was particularly great. I'm curious as to what button layout you use for them. Tap to jump on or something else?

Keep practicing!
I have to admit I don't use her Jab that often even though it's super useful haha. I'll work on incorporating it more into my playstyle, thank you! My controller layout is pretty much default apart from Y for Grab, C-Stick for Tilts, X for Jump. But recently I changed my Z button to jump for the sole purpose of making OOS Up B easier to do lol (It's been great so far, my friend can't deal with it.).

It looks like you dont have your short hops down. Get that down and throw in Nairs and youre in buisness. Your goal with ZSS is to dictate the flow yourself, and make them play your game. Basically do what your friend does by "dictating" the match
Thanks. I'll put more practice into my Short hop + Nairs. Watching back the videos, it seems the main reason (or one of the reasons) my friend dictated the matches was because I kept backing off and giving him room to breathe. Lol.

Top Bottom