• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What buttons do you use for Shffl?

Pyrrhic

Smash Rookie
So I'm trying to get better at nair shffling but I suck at it!!!! It's a hell of a lot of button inputs. I'm mostly struggling with fast falling and gettings NAIRS instead of FAIRS. My main problem is consistently landing it and keeping momentum

I'm currently using X for jumps and then tapping A for the NAIR. Is it better to use Z for attack?

I also don't understand how people hit the C-stick for UAIR/BAIR/FAIR shffl's... I am way too slow at reaching over to the C-stick. If I could claw effectively it would fix the C-stick issue.

So am I missing out on something? Do ZSS users change their button inputs around? How do players like Oro have their controllers configured? Does he claw?

Last edited:

Smash John

Smash Apprentice
if you're getting fair, just make sure to let go of the control stick as soon as you leave the ground. i use X > A > L, but you could use X > Z > Z to nair and L cancel with the same button so you don't need to move your fingers quite as much if that's easier

as for the c-stick thing...i don't know if it's the most efficient thing, but i use X > C-stick for all my aerials except nair. the motion i use is pretty much just moving my thumb to the c-stick, but just kinda grazing it over X for the short-hop. i find it really hard to short-hop while clawing

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
:GCX::GCD::GCL::GCA::GCY:
that's by Bair SHFFL, my favorite, Fair is also good. I map Y to shield so I can roll from A to Y very fast and L-cancel easily. For ZSS I fastfall before the move usually, except on fair, and especially on bair. Whipping bair out on the last possible frame is always fun.

Also, @ Pyrrhic Pyrrhic your avatar is a little offputting. Just a heads up in case a mod bugs you about it.

Last edited:

burntfish44

Smash Cadet
If i want to just shuffle nairs across :fdb: then i use the default buttons in order:
:GCR: initiate dash
:GCX: to jump, because my fingers are a bit too slow to press down and release fast enough for short hop, so i basically graze my finger across X which is consistent short hops
:GCN: let go of control stick here, keep the momentum of dash by keeping it over when you jump, then let go of it here so you dont Fair
:GCA: for most areals (on zss). For mots scenarios you'll want to wait till youre at the top, or getting to the top of your jump to press A. Graze X then loop my finger up and over and down onto A
:GCD: start fast fall (just barely) after you A
:GCLT: L to L-cancel. R to 'r'-cancel just feels weird but thats a preference thing. 7 frames before you hit the ground (i believe) is the time frame you have to press L/R
-------

Now ill tell you how i learned to shuffle efficiently and with little error simply then in depth:

Straight practicing it in training mode :glare:. How to practice tho:

Don't go into learning shffl nairs by trying to dash nair. just sit there in place shffl nairing. This way you get the feel for when you need to press A, and when you need to fast fall. {:GCX::GCA::GCD::GCLT:}. Just sit there in training and do it 5 then 10 then 20 then 30 (etc etc, just however many till you're consistent) times in a row so you really feel out your characters move/timing. Once you get down shffl nairs in place you can do shffl fairs or bairs in place, etc.
[[Like every time a game starts (almost literally every time, bots/ppl//etc) i just do a couple shffl nairs in place to warm up]]
Then at this point (once you have in place down solid) you can start working in dashes/movement.
Something that always helps me when i want to learn the timing of a sequence of inputs is to go to training mode, then slow it down to 1/2 or 1/4 (if i was really new to the technique) speed, then execute the commands slowly and one at a time. Then speeding it up an option at a time or just skipping to normal speed.

As for using the :GCCN: for aerials, i know what you mean. I used to never use it too but playing melee plus just not having tap jump every now and then taught me to use the Cstick for u-air's.
The sequence being: :GCX::GCCU::GCD::GCLT:. A :GCD: in at the beginning if it starts with dropping through a platform.
Don't bother with :GCCN: for Fair or Bairs, just use A its way easier.
For Dairs i would recommend Cstick in almost every situation, in order to control whether or not you're fast falling. in the case of wanting to FF a d'air then by all means use :GCD::GCA:
As for the speed of reaching the C stick in time, its another thing that comes with practice. just do [x] amount of SHFFL u-airs in a row using the C stick and you'll get the feel/speed of it.

For using :GCZ: for aerials, it all depends on the person and situation. Some ppl use it, most don't. I (mostly) don't because A is easier. For the purpose of SHFFL anythings you'll really only need A because you want to start your attack towards the top of your jump so you have time to move your finger from X to A.
The only time i use Z for aerials is when I'm marth and I'm going for 2 Fairs in one short-hop (which requires you to start your first fair like right as you leave the ground), where I'll graze X then hit Z right after. [[lately tho ive been to quick about it and jump cancel grabbing lol, so im working on using Z less]]

Doing something like drastically rearranging your controller setup isn't something i'd necessarily recommend, seeing as you can get by just fine with a bit of practice and getting used to button usage, but i wouldn't condone it either - do what works for you and you'll do just fine ^_^

Anyways i hope this helped! Good luck on getting better and if you have more questions ask away

Last edited:

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
im weird with the technical stuff. I wave dash with L and L-cancel with R. as well as shffl with R. I jump with y, then I use A + direction, then fast fall, and finally cancel with R. its what im comfortable with, find what works for you and practice the timing, you'll get used to it in time

Top Bottom