• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What buttons do top players use for 1. shielding 2. WD 3. Aerials 4. l canceling/tech 6. jumping?

1000HP

Smash Rookie
Before I start practicing and engraving these buttons into my muscle memory, I want to figure out the 'optimal' configurations are. In particular, I'm interested in what Mango and Dr PP use, since I plan to main falco. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Freze

Smash Rookie
Everything is just what you are comfortable with, but I believe most spacie mains use Y to jump, as it makes for easier wave shines

Hairysun

Smash Rookie
I'm no top player, but because I'm left handed, I use buttons most people don't.

I WD, tech and shield with L, and jump with X. I very rarely use R.

This style is different but it's a good example of doing what is most comfortable. I have no tech issues whatsoever, as far as buttons go.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if many people do this but I think it's better to learn to shield with one hand and wavedash with the other, makes wavedash out of shield way easier.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
Ya shielding with a separate button makes wavedash out-of-shield really easy. I learned it that way by accident. I use L to shield because it was habit from when I play Smash 64 when I was younger (Z was shield and it was the only shield button), but when I learned all of the advanced techniques, I just happened to use R for everything. So I shield with L (and tech sometimes with it), but everything else I do with R.

Really, though, figure out what is comfortable as you learn the techniques. From what I've heard, PP uses buttons that would make it really hard for me to play (I heard he uses X to jump and wavedashes and shield with just 1 button). What matters is that he can do what he wants with it, and I can do what I want with mine.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
controller optimality comes mostly from having as much separation of inputs as possible (e.g. trying to keep movement on your left hand and other inputs on your right hand, like x/y to jump and c-stick for aerials and smashes), grouping specific inputs and decreasing travel distances.

so i'd make a case for:

C-Stick for at least aerials, smashes, and roll oos
jump with Y, because Y gives your thumb easier travel to A, B and the C-Stick
wavedash with Y+R, since it simplifies the input into a sort of "squeeze" with your right hand, similar to JC Grabbing with Y+Z
shield with L, to make wavedash out-of-shield easier
L-cancel with L, to load-balance SHFFLs (jump and c-stick aerial on right, fastfall and L-cancel on left)
tech with R to separate it from DI and roll-options on your left hand

however, there isn't alot of consistency among "top-level" control schemes, since honestly the inputs are simple enough that whatever way you learn can work. additionally, there isn't necessarily consistency even within a particular player's control scheme; tons of people will jump with a different button or shield with a different shoulder in specific situations or when performing specific techniques.

imo don't worry about this stuff, because virtually every control scheme is attested by at least one good player. but if you are going to worry about it, think of your own control scheme that's good for specific theoretical and practical reasons; copying a pro's arbitrary preferences is probably not going to be "optimal" since optimality probably wasn't their goal in the first place.

Last edited:

Jonte

Smash Cadet
wavedash with Y+R, since it simplifies the input into a sort of "squeeze" with your right hand, similar to JC Grabbing with Y+Z
Am I the only one who JC grabs solely with a stick motion? Similarly to what you do with a running up-smash?

I use both X and Y to jump in different situations, L to tech and shield, and R to wavedash

SAUS

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who JC grabs solely with a stick motion? Similarly to what you do with a running up-smash?

I use both X and Y to jump in different situations, L to tech and shield, and R to wavedash
I know a guy that does that but he is trying to break the habit because he found it hard to up-throw immediately after grabbing.

Top Bottom