• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What audience is SSB4 Amiibo really targeted at?

the8thark

Smash Lord
Firstly some information.

14 Announced Amiibo so far.
In Australia that is 14 x $29.95 for a total of $419.30 - https://www.ebgames.com.au/any/any?q=amiibo
Placeholder price I know. But it got me thinking, is the Amiibo targeted at children or adults with fat wallets. We don't know what the prices of them will be and most collectors will just pre-order the lot when the dates and prices are announced meaning it might be hard to get some soon after release.

Also I was thinking, for the people who don't buy into Amiibo, how much of the gaming experience are they missing out on? We know what Amiibo does but I'm still on the fence as to if that's a big enough carrot to invest in them all. And it'll be a sizable investment too I think.

S3OL

Smash Rookie
NNID
S3OL-001
I'm not looking to invest in them all but I think the target audience is both. Just because they've given us insight into how they're used for SM4SH, doesn't mean that they don't have other uses that they're keeping a secret from us.

I think that they're pretty neat and I'll be looking forward to pre-ordering Toon Link, ZSS and Zelda. Battle partners that learn from your play style in itself sounds like a good enough reason to purchase 'em.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I'm probably getting around 2-3 Amiibo total, each a character with a different playstyle for me to practice against and tbh my thoughts are they probably intend for you to only need one. Train them up, make them your battle partner. Just pick your favorite idea of a "partner" character and stick with that. Hardcore collectors will still probably get them all anyway.

I'm sure Nintendo is going for the same target audience that's eating up Disney Infinity and Skylanders, whoever that may be. Kids whose parents have fat wallets?

Either way, I think amiibo are something you only need for your preferred character or small handful, rather than the aforementioned games where you need to keep getting more to experience all the games' content.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't plan on collecting all of the Amiibos as I'll only just end up wasting a lot of money. I only plan on getting the figurines of my main characters for the game.

S3OL

Smash Rookie
NNID
S3OL-001
I don't plan on collecting all of the Amiibos as I'll only just end up wasting a lot of money. I only plan on getting the figurines of my main characters for the game.
Same here. Also, how do you get pictures like that in your signature? Sorry I'm a noob ;~;

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'm probably getting a Samus Amiibo and hopefully a Ridley Amiibo, and maybe a Sonic Amiibo.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Same here. Also, how do you get pictures like that in your signature? Sorry I'm a noob ;~;
Point your mouse on your name on the top right corner, then go to Signature, then click on the Smiley face button and it will show all the different little pictures for each category.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Amiibos are targeted towards casuals i may pick up 1-2 for the characters i use and for silly amiibo cpu tourneys.

Raijinken

Smash Master
They're targeted at people who want a collectable figure of their favorite character that actually does something.

Personally, unless having a level 50 CPU of multiple characters really benefits me from a practice standpoint, I'm going to get Robin, or maybe Megaman and Marth too, and call it a day.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I see Amiibos as useful for both groups:

Casuals:
  • Constant benchmark for improvement
  • Consistent skill gap
  • The computer won't be a jerk and taunt you
  • Backup player for parties or when you have friends over
  • Customization sounds fun
Competitives:
  • Specific MU practice
  • Mirror match practice
  • CPU might learn to wavedash lol
I personally will only get the :4samus:, :4lucina: and :mewtwopm: amiibo if he's revealed.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
You're not really supposed to try to collect them all, you're supposed to pick your favorite character, though cashing in on Nintendo collectors is a nice bonus for Nintendo. Most people won't get all of them because there isn't any real reason for non-collectors to get more than maybe 2-3 Amiibo.

Last edited:

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
If Nintendo wants to market it towards 18-25 year olds, they should throw a free one in with the purchase of the game. If they're confident in the product, then the free one may encourage people to buy a few more.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
It's targetted towards adults with fat wallets and kids who have the former.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'd say it's aimed at both audiences. Kids will no doubt like them, while young adults like myself and a multitude of others on here would probably either collect as well or just prefer to have more emphasis on their favourite characters.

As for me, I'll probably grab a few, namely :4link: and :ness2: (when finally revealed) though, and we'll see from there; it really depends on how they actually benefit me.

madBowers

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adamsrewob
3DS FC
1177-9203-9654
Amiibo is smack dab in the middle of the Venn diagram of collectors and nintendo fans.
Could not agree more. I could wave these off as being just for kids....
but some of them just look so awesome. I can see myself getting a few for my nerd collection.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
They're targeting the audience that care for them.

I'm planning to collect a bunch of them. That dream of having a table filled with "trophies" dating back to Melee is coming to fruition.

Top Bottom