• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What areas of Falcon do you think are "Under developed?"

MaKPooN

Smash Rookie
I've been maining Falcon since Wii U has launched, and more recently I've been just discovering more and more potential in Falcon. Such as the effectiveness of his fox-trot comboed with his dash grab length, but also info like that isnt new. I've been exploring with mix ups after jab on shield alot recently and there is just so much you can do. Such as jab > jab > grab to condition them to either throw out a move or spot dodge, once they are conditioned you can just jab > jab > perfect pivot away > side-b for another kill set up because it straight up beats spot dodge, most OoS moves and everyone's grab (maybe some tethers can grab his perfect pivot away have not explored that yet) and also.Its not as reliable as something like d-throw mixup kills but its just another mix up to add to your arsenal. Jab > jab > uair or knee (if your ballsy) also works if they jump out of shield and things like that.

Maybe this is me just being bad and taking way too long to really lock this stuff down in my head but is there any part of Falcons game you feel could be evolved alot farther than it already is?

I would say his perfect pivot game is a big thing that can be evolved on.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Using bair to finish combos.
Most Falcons bandwagon to the offstage stomp/airdodge read to knee because it looks so hype, but completely ignore that, in the middle of uair strings, bair is a safer, more practical and still pretty powerful tool as a combo ender.

Pivot Grabbing is also a very decent tool which I don't see getting much use. Falcon perhaps has the best dashgrab in the game, but adding another very dangerous options to his mixups, which becomes especially deadly given his dash speed, adds unpredictability and effectiveness to his limited approaches.

Landing with nair1 > grab is also something not seen much, probably because uair is safer and yields easier results at most percentages.

Other than that, the massive majority of Falcon players are always ready to be in the fray, to dash grab or dash attack relentlessly and follow up from those moves. Our metagame could be heavily improved if we could simply stop and think more, patiently powershielding and sh bair'ing our way into dashgrab range and whatnot.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Captain Falcons combo game. Players are limiting themselves severely with simple stuff like multi up airs and not incorporating guaranteed footstools into their air combos (something way easier than it sounds). Falcon can threaten a stock from just one grab or one falling up air from ridiculously low percents, but because it's not as execution-easy as just up airing and fishing for kills with bair, people are unwilling to learn.

I mean come on, this is easier than something like vapor thrust loops or FADCing into ultras, but people do those consistently all the time.

I also feel like Falcon players could improve their punish games a lot. More falling up airs, less grabbing.

MaKPooN

Smash Rookie
Falcon can threaten a stock from just one grab or one falling up air from ridiculously low percents, but because it's not as execution-easy as just up airing and fishing for kills with bair, people are unwilling to learn.
This is this true but also good players aren't dumb they will either challenge you while you are the air or just shield and react once you land. Its is a good mixup I agree and falling uair to knee is so free once you learn it to truly be a great falcon main you have to be perfect at that.

Ramz289

Smash Journeyman
On top of having so-so punish games, I feel most Falcon players aren't using dance trot properly. Even Fatality's dance trot game is only "pretty good".
And I haven't seen ANY Falcon use dance trot>perfect pivot and it's a damn shame because I think it's really good, but I'm only playing theorie fighter here sooo yea...

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
Footstool combos would be a god send in competitive play, however it's pretty damn difficult.
I feel like as a Falcon community we need to establish some sort of, safer kill setups, understanding of the ledge. Jab covers a lot of options if positioned right.
Instead of more difficult things such as footstools first we need to make a list of combo/SAFE strings that lead into other things.

What I've been curious about has been U-Tilt combo reset. That's a hell of tool that we haven't dove into yet.
Everyone Imagine the Falcon Power with that?

1. U-Tilt Resets= the future of Falcon
  2. Footstool follow ups
  3. Combo Strings
  4. Better Edgeguard game

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
I don't really see upsmash used much with falcon, I think more things could be done with it than how it's used currently.

0mart

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mr.0mart
TBH , I think that one of the most underused/underrated move at this moment could be the Ftilt for covering the edge and D-tilt in general... I never used it, only to cover up regular get up, but a friend showed me how to use it to punish landings, approaches(aerials and running).

approaches for example:

-When mario is trying to force his way in with SH Nair, you can use it as falcon´s hurtbox gets small and the hitbox is bigger than it seems.

Husk94

Smash Rookie
Captain Falcons combo game. Players are limiting themselves severely with simple stuff like multi up airs and not incorporating guaranteed footstools into their air combos (something way easier than it sounds). Falcon can threaten a stock from just one grab or one falling up air from ridiculously low percents, but because it's not as execution-easy as just up airing and fishing for kills with bair, people are unwilling to learn.

I mean come on, this is easier than something like vapor thrust loops or FADCing into ultras, but people do those consistently all the time.

I also feel like Falcon players could improve their punish games a lot. More falling up airs, less grabbing.
Falling uair is quite a bit slower than grab/dash grab so in what instances do u have in mind where this should be used.
Also for footstool combos, do u mash the jump button or just try to time it right?

thanks

Husk94

Smash Rookie
also is single dash dance dash attack good (--> <-- A). u have a good amount of time after the second dash initiates where u arent really moving forward to input the dash attack. curious if this could help against sheik fair but im inexperienced in that MU so cant sasy

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Falling uair is quite a bit slower than grab/dash grab so in what instances do u have in mind where this should be used.
Also for footstool combos, do u mash the jump button or just try to time it right?

thanks
Getup option reads, shorthop baits etc. It's also his safest aerial when used properly imo, at the very least just as safe as bair. It's just underutilized imo is all.

And for footstools I don't mash, I just do it by muscle memory. If you mash it may work but you also might fullhop after the FS and sacrifice your follow-up. It's honestly not that hard once you do it for a while.

Husk94

Smash Rookie
when are footstools guaranteed or just as easy to hit in a match as a regular arial follow-up? Just trying to figure out when it would be better to just go for the usual uair/nair followup rather than the footstool and vice versa.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
when are footstools guaranteed or just as easy to hit in a match as a regular arial follow-up? Just trying to figure out when it would be better to just go for the usual uair/nair followup rather than the footstool and vice versa.
It depends on the character you are hitting. It is always easiest to get from an up air. Falling up air gives you more time to "aim" your footstool and is very comfortably guaranteed around 30-50+ percent, but any sort of anti-air uair or an up air as a follow up from a dash grab dthrow or poorly DI'd regular dthrow will also net you guaranteed footstools at appropriate hitstun levels (usually around 25+%, can do them into the 40s and 50s though using proper technique and with platform usage you will still get the hard knockdown).

Falling up air is safer or at worst just as safe as bair when used properly. Use that to your advantage to pressure your opponent and get those footstools when they mess up and get hit. Dthrow into up air will also get you the footstool as long as you get the right dash grab or your opponent makes a mistake from a regular grab. Rule of thumb I use is if they're less than a characters length from Falcon when I hit the up air from a throw, then I can probably DJ and footstool. If I hit with the tip of up air though, go into a different follow-up.

I always go for the footstool from a falling up air above 35~ though unless their playing a character like Fox or Falcon who fall too fast from a footstool to get a dair afterwards at that height.

Note: a lot of these setups just don't work amazingly well on super slow fallers and floaties. IE Luigi just isn't very vulnerable to these while a character like Sheik is.

Last edited:

EleH

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbguy13
3DS FC
3136-7287-8530
The biggest one I'd like to see as a Falcon secondary is just advancement in combo strings in general.

Thing is, most people prefer safer options at a neutral standpoint and will sometimes completely ignore learning or trying out new things. Seriously, any combo I see right now from Falcon players that aren't top-top competitive level is dthrow > dash attack/uair > uair > and then just drop down. There are minor variations with uair strings into Knee followups and the not-so occasional nair shenanigans I guess, but that's hardly viable because it knocks most too far away. I know uair is like Falcon's bread and butter tool, but it wouldn't hurt to use a bit of variety for a combo-based character right?

I'm really hoping people will look into bair usage more in the future too, but that's for another day.

Last edited:

Lionman

Smash Champion
I never was able to master the shield-drop, people told me that is an important technique but i just cant do it lol.

i find Dash Dance is hard too, you can mindgame a lot but i cant do it the way i want.

Also, tilts are great, use them

Top Bottom