• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your top 10 best video games?

nessokman

Smash Lord
What are yours and why?

Mine-

10-the legend of zelda: majora's mask

9. Super Metroid-

8. Super mario RPG-

7.halo reach-

6.star fox 64

5.star fox assault-

4.kid Icarus uprising

3.earthbound

2.mother 3

1.fire emblem awakening

What are yours? Give a reason if ya' want

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No idea of topten, but I at least know Chrono Trigger is staying up there at first place.

DonutFinder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theonlyisaac
3DS FC
0533-6566-7593
What are yours and why?

Mine-

10-the legend of zelda: majora's mask

9. Super Metroid-

8. Super mario RPG-

7.halo reach-

6.star fox 64

5.star fox assault-

4.kid Icarus uprising

3.earthbound

2.mother 3

1.fire emblem awakening

What are yours? Give a reason if ya' want

Why the f*** are you doing this?

finalark

SNORLAX
Really. O.o What did you like about it?

I haven't played it in a really long time, but I enjoyed that there was a sense of verity to the game play. I enjoyed the ground segments, despite the wonky controls. I felt like that could be refined into something amazing in the future. Plus the local multiplayer in the game is some of the most fun I have ever had. Sure, it wasn't amazing, but it wasn't horrible either.

DonutFinder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theonlyisaac
3DS FC
0533-6566-7593
I haven't played it in a really long time, but I enjoyed that there was a sense of verity to the game play. I enjoyed the ground segments, despite the wonky controls. I felt like that could be refined into something amazing in the future. Plus the local multiplayer in the game is some of the most fun I have ever had. Sure, it wasn't amazing, but it wasn't horrible either.
Well everyone has a right to like there own things. So i respect your opinion.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I made a top five list a pretty long time ago, but it still holds up... Of course, I will be adding five more to the original list I had. Also, I've decided not to care about list order from least to greatest or whatever.

10. Illusion of Gaia - Because nostalgia and kick-butt gameplay. I feel pretty good when I defeat a powerful boss using Will's original form.
9. Mother 3 - Emotionally rockin' story. An EXTREMELY dedicated fanbase. Both of these things apply to the entire trilogy, but I still feel like Mother 3 has better gameplay.
8. Mega Man X - Capcom outdid themselves with this one... My favorite Mega Man game ever.
7. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Capcom outdid themselves outdoing themselves with this one.
6. Goof Troop (SNES) - This game makes you actually feel like you're having fun. Capcom... You've really outdone yourselves with this one. *Shot*
5. Star Fox 64 3D - I really like feeling as though you're actually in Fox's... robotic feet, as I play this game.
4. Kid Icarus: Uprising - I haven't really been seeing this game being talked about much here; I guess people got bored of it. I guess that's understandable, because, haha, I got bored of it myself a long while back. But still, it was a genius game while it lasted.
3. Zelda: Majora's Mask - Because it's so dang gorgeous.
2. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future - Easily the best in the series, because of its amazing story, puzzles, and charming qualities.
1. Persona 3: FES - You don't know why I love this game? Well, your punishment will be to look it up on Youtube. If you have time, you should check out SuperJeenius' playthrough of it. Or at least some of it.

Jet300

Smash Ace
10. Resident evil 0
9. Resident evil Remake
8. Ninja Gaiden Sigma
7. Legend of Zelda OOT
6. Legend of Zelda TP
5. Super Street fighter4 arcade edition
4. Uncharted 3
3. Star fox 64
2. Super Smash bros
1. Mortal kombat 9

finalark

SNORLAX
10. Illusion of Gaia - Because nostalgia and kick-butt gameplay. I feel pretty good when I defeat a powerful boss using Will's original form.
One of my friends had this on his SNES ages upon ages ago. I have no idea what it is, or what it tastes like, but when I was young the game's name and packaging alone enthralled me.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
10) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Xbox 360

9) Tribes: Aerial Assault - PS2

8) Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Wii

7) Super Street Fighter IV - Xbox 360

6) F-Zero X - N64 tied with F-Zero GX - GameCube

5) Weaponlord - SNES

4) Frame Gride - Dreamcast

3) Halo 2 - Xbox

2) Armored Core: Master of Arena - Playstation

1) Mario Kart Wii - Nintendo Wii

skylight1989

Smash Rookie
10. Resident Evil 5
9.Kid Icarus: Uprising
8. Mario kart Wii
7. Persona 4
6. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
5. Eternal Sonata
4. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
3. Mario Kart 7
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
1. NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
10. Pokémon Heart Gold (DS) - A great remake of one of the best regions. It outshines the original in every way. Probably also the Pokémon game with the most content to date.

9. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (DS) - Likeable character, great story, fun dungeons and great special stories to unlock.

8. World of Warcraft (PC) - Been playing it for 7 or 8 years now, and it's still phenomenal.

7. Pokémon Leaf Green (GBA) - Generation 1 is one of my favorite generations (only behind Gen 3 Pokémon-wise, but Hoenn kind of sucked), so seeing it being remade from the broken mess it was earlier is delightful.

6. Metroid Zero Mission (GBA) - The game I've played the most in all of my living days. Despite being able to beat it in under an hour it's still a pleasure to do every time.

5. Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Wii) - Not only does this game have the most enjoyable Kirby stages of all-time, but the co-op is simply so damn fun.

4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) - Do I even need to explain this choice on this board?

3. Metroid Prime (GC) - The atmosphere, the zones, the bosses, the weaponry, the gameplay. This is the best a first person Metroid game could ever be.

2. Super Metroid (SNES) - I will always prefer the 2D sidescroller Metroid though, and Super Metroid does everything so well.

1. Earthbound (SNES) - This game is perfection incarnate. Everything from the gameplay right down to the soundtrack is just amazing. The only game to make me teary-eyed at the credits.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
Mines in no particular order.
1. Final Fantasy Tactics; the very first FF game I played in my youth. Downloaded it recently on PSN and can't put it down. The game has aged perfectly. Kind of a risqué plot line given it was released in mid-90s. Pick it up if you can!

2. S.L.A.I.; a hidden gem from the Play Station 2 era I wish more people knew about. It's a "complete" version of an X-Box game called Phantom Crash. Third person shooter with TONS of customization. Also one of the first games I ever completed. Amazing replay value and post-game.

3. Mario Kart 64; Mario Kart in general, for me, has gotten better in the years. But you can't deny the influence MK64 has. Great multiplayer game that anyone is willing to play. Plus Yoshi is a BOSS.

4. Mass Effect (Series); can't even begin to describe why I love this series so much. So much back story and side quests, while still having an entertaining over arch through the trilogy. Lame ending (from ME3) aside, a very complete series that I fell in love with. Will play again soon.

5. DragonAge (Series); see 4.

6. Pokemon Red; I'm old you see, and Pokemon Red was my first taste of the franchise. Now I play Black 2 and am waiting for X/Y, the original game has, to me, just stood the test of time.

7. ModNation Racers; underrated PlayStation 3 game that was the first game I ever Platinum'd. Basically it's Mario Kart on drugs; customization everywhere. Just an overall fun multiplayer game I recommend to anyone who has a PS3. Quick warning; the load times are stupid.

8. Final Fantasy 7; like FInal Fantasy Tactics, just a fun game I think has aged very well. Not much else to add.

9. The Elders Scroll: Skyrim; Another fun solo game. Also one I Platinum'd. Every time I play something new happens. So while the game is kind of linear, in a sense it's still new everytime, and I love that.

10. Super Smash Bros (series); No explanation needed. Its Smash Bros.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Man, I don't think I can choose. Some contenders would have to be SSBM, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time. I'll edit and make a list soon.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I guess I'll try to make some kind of a list too since I've never tried it before. Do note that I won't include multiplayer games or games I haven't finished yet, so certain games like Smash will be missing.

1.Chrono Trigger - THE best game I have ever played, no contest. A pure masterpiece that everyone should complete at least once, it's that good.

2.Legend of Zelda series - I couldn't really place all the different Zelda games in a row and take up the whole list so I ranked the whole series here. I'm talking about the 3d Zeldas here, I haven't played too much 2d yet to form an opinion about them. This is Nintendos best franchise imo.

3.Pokemon Crystal - The nostalgia value of this game is unmatched by anything else. Not only that but it is still one of the best Pokemon games out there, only beaten by it's own remakes.

4.Skyrim - Had to include this one because of the incredible single player experience if offered. For the first two weeks when I got the game I barely did anything else but sleep and play it. It's still a lot of fun to play as it seems to never run out of things to do.

5.Digimon World - Seriously, this game is amazing. It might be just the huge amount of nostalgia but I really like this game. It offers a rather unique experience. Your Digimon in this game has a limited lifespan so you have to make the most of the time you have with it before it dies and is reborn with crappy stats all over again. Trust me you don't need to care about Digimon at all to like this game, I don't care about them too much either. Try it out if you get a chance.

6.Amnesia - The scary game. This was such a powerful gaming experience. It's very well done and it actually is scary. The makes really knew how to make things scary. If you haven't tried it yet you absolutely have to, it's just a crazy experience.

Meh I can't think of more than 6. Maybe I should have included multiplayer games too.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
In no particular order,
10. Smash series
9. Kirby's Adventure - NES
8. Spyro: Ripto's Rage - PS
7. SMT Persona 3 - PS2
6. SMT Nocturne - PS2
5. Halo 2 - Xbox
4. River City Ransom - NES
3. Catherine - Xbox 360/PS3
2. Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations - DS
1. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - SNES

Sorry there isn't really an order, but I thought this up in like, 5 minutes before class.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Making a top 10 list was a lot tougher than I thought it would be, but since this was the first time I've actually thought about which of my favorites I'd rank above one another I had a good time making this.

1) Super Smash Bros (series) - No explanation needed here. Only series besides Pokemon that I've continually been obsessed with since I started gaming when I was little.

2) Pokemon (series) - Like Super Smash Bros I've always been a huge fan. From Pokemon Red all the way to Pokemon X today... I've loved em all to death.

3) Runescape (PC) - Probably a head scratcher for many but yes I was a HUGE RS addict back in the day. I've spent more time with this game than any other by far (I had to have spent at the very least 650+ hours with it). The fact that this was my very first online experience did nothing but compound that addiction. I could honestly spend a whole hour explaining how badly I miss the days of coming back from Elementary school and embarking on my online adventure... Way too many juicy nostalgic memories here.

4) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360) - It's really a shame the CoD franchise gets such a bad rep these days because everyone seems to have forgotten how revolutionary the first Modern Warfare was when it first dropped. In fact I'd go as far as saying this game was the pinnacle of online shooters. Such a shame the series went downhill from here.

5) Legend of Zelda (series) - This would be up there with SSB and Pokemon but some of the newer additions to the series have been a bit lackluster in my opinion. Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past were legendary though.

6) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox) - Best RPG of all time and there is no disputing this. Greatest single player experience I'll ever have. **** you Mass Effect... I'm still to this day eagerly awaiting the announcement of a KotOR 3.

7) Zero Escape (series) - Both 999 and VLR have the most compelling stories I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Great characters, challenging puzzles, fantastic soundtrack, and an extremely gripping plot combined with arguably the craziest plot twists I've ever come across = best handheld experience of all time. Can't wait for the final game that will end this amazing trilogy.

8) Gears of War 3 (Xbox 360) - 2nd favorite shooter of all time behind CoD4 and the game I'm easily the best at. Would have been higher on this list if it had a greater longevity (not many people play this anymore unfortunately).

9) Halo 3 (Xbox 360) - The game that got me hooked on online shooters in the first place. Lots of great memories with this one.

10) Borderlands (series) - As you can tell by my above list I love RPGs, and I love shooters. Borderlands is basically the perfect mix of both, and one of my favorite series of all time as a result.

Honorable mentions: Chrono Trigger,Super Mario Galaxy, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and Paper Mario.

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
Man this is a hard list, but here it goes.

10. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

9. Ristar

8. Turok Dinosaur Hunter

7. Doom 64

6. Star Fox 64

5. Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike

4. Super Smash Bros Melee

3. The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker

2. Donkey Kong Country

1. Conker's Bad Fur Day

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Honorable Mentions: (in no particular order)
Spyro 2, Majora's Mask, Kirby's Adventure, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Final Fantasy V, Dragon Quest III, Live A Live, Etrian Odyssey, Tribes Ascend, Blood Bowl, XCOM Terror from the Deep, Catherine, Pac Man Championship Edition DX, The Binding of Isaac, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Rayman Origins, Banjo Tooie, Ar Tonelico, Mother 3, Valkyria Chronicles, Thief 2, Breath of Fire 4, Planescape: Torment, Imperishable Night, The Walking Dead (Telltale) and Megaman Legends 2.

10. Atelier Totori+
9. Arcanum
8. Project M
7. Dustforce
6. Dragon Quest V
5. Pokémon BW2
4. Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend
3. X2 - The Threat
2. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
1. Puyo Pop Fever

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
10) Fire Emblem Awakening
9) Crash Bandicoot 1-3 (equally good IMO)
8) Mega Man Legends (64)
7) Last of Us
6) Donkey Kong (Arcade)
5) GTA V
4) Majora's Mask
3) Earthbound
2) Brawl (Project M)
1) Mother 3

DD2

Smash Cadet
10 - Halo 3
9 - Lost Planet
8 - Kirby Air Ride
7 - Rune Factory 4
6 - Counter-Strike series
5 - Half Life
4 - LTTP
3 - Smash Series
2 - Metroid Prime
1 - Castlevania Aria of Sorrow

Avantgrave

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0963-0522-3867
Soooooo many games that I still need to get to, but out of what I've played, here's what would likely make up my top 10. Not sure if any of these will be confusing or not, but I tend to judge a game more on the replay value rather than graphical quality or whatever else people would probably choose. Playing through a game once and enjoying it is nice, but something I can go back to time and time again and enjoy myself just as much as the first time, or even more? Those are the ones I always think of.

Fallout 3 - I may not be able to rank all ten of the games on this list, but without a doubt, this takes the top spot, my absolute favorite game of all time. The storyline, the atmosphere, the controls, the world, the characters, the weapons, the levelling system, all of it! Just writing this list right now, if I wasn't about to start another playthrough of Skyrim, I'd pop this in and break out of Vault 101 all over again.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - If there was anything that was going to push Fallout 3 of the top of the hill, this would be it. This is a Nintendo-based forum, so I really don't think I need to explain much about my devotion to this game. Played through this to 100% completion more than any single game in my entire life to the point where aside from looking up a detail or two for the Kafei and Anju quest, I can nail that 100% without any help whatsoever. Plus, I'll never forget the feeling this game gave me as a kid the first time I played it.

Final Fantasy IX - Best Final Fantasy, who wants to fight me about it? :p Jokes aside, this probably has my favorite cast of characters in any game I've ever played, and I still think Vivi's the coolest playable character ever.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - SKYRIM! Actually about to play through this again in a couple hours. Archery system in here is probably the most fun I've had in a game with manually-controllable combat. World may not be as endless as Fallout, but there's still an amazing amount of depth in terms of stuff to do. Plus, dragons.

The Legend of Dragoon - Man, looking back, tons of people took a steaming dump on this when it came out. Still my most wanted sequel recipient of all time, and a generally overlooked game. The Addition system is still one of the more unique twists on classic RPG battles that I've seen, and the Dragoon transformations were always satisfying to use, even if they made boss battles too easy to the point where I found it more fun to avoid using them. Plus, for the time the game came out, on the PS1, the cutscenes were AMAZING, alongside an awesome story. I'd sell a body part for a sequel, but I'd be tickled silly by an HD remake too.

Xenosaga Episode 1 - While Episode 3 was great too, and Episode 2..... well, it exists, and the story's good? Yeah, I absolutely hated the change they made to the combat system, along with the infamous difficulty spike upon entering MOMO's subconscious domain. All slights aside, Episode 1 is a prime example of how to do a story-driven RPG the right way. The combat system was fairly simple, but enjoyable, with a decent degree of customization possible with the selection of Tech Attacks and Ether spells available. Plus, people can whine all they want, but I love the amount of cutscenes not only in this game, but in all three.

Smash Bros. Series - I flip-flop between Melee and Brawl as my preferred Smash game, so I'll just give 64 some love for starting me in the franchise and list the whole series here. From my baseball bat beginnings with Ness, to my homeboy Mr. Game and Watch today, I've come a long way with this purely fun franchise, and I can't wait to see what it's got in store for me next.

Pokemon Yellow - While I'll always have a spot in my heart for Red Version, as it's where I started on a Christmas morning way back when it came out, Yellow improved on the graphics, but kept the same game and system that I fell in love with the first time. Still go back and run through Yellow every year or two, and it never gets old.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - I'll be the first to admit, when I saw the pictures for this when it first started coming about, I was petrified. I saw that, and something just made me think that this was going to be awful. Oh boy was I wrong. From the charming story, to the wonderful designs of the dungeons, moving the gameplay to a wide open sea with tons of stuff to discover, this was easily my most welcome surprise that I've ever come across in gaming. When I do finally take the plunge and get myself a Wii U, the HD remake for this is the first thing I'm going to get.

Not sure what I would pick as my final game, so I'll leave it like this for now.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I feel like if I actually made a list it wouldn't be representative of me because I'd be forgetting something amazing or feel bad I put one thing over the other, etc. Off the top of my head though, Chrono Trigger is probably one of my favorite games ever, as well as Final Fantasy VI

mimgrim

Smash Hero
That's a tough one. Do note that there is gonna be some generalization when it comes to games that are a part of a series, basically I'll just state the name of the series instead if I can't decide a fave one from the series.

10. Sands of Destruction

A very niche game, but it always had a certain charm for me.

9. Halo

Halo is one of the few shooters I like and is defiantly my fave shooter.

8. Kingdom Hearts

A really great series with a pretty good story. Gameplay is also tons of fun.

7. Super Smash Bros

I'm on Smashboards. Nuff said there.

6. Virtue's Last Reward

Sequel to 999 and the second virtual novel like game I ever played. Story is bloody epic, characters are awesome, and the plethora of plot twists.

5. 999: Nine Persons-Nine Doors-Nine Hours

Same reasons as VLR along with it being my very first VN like game.

4. Etrian Odyssey

Another great series. Lots of customazation, great gameplay, and good difficulty.

3. The World Ends With You

Joshua. That is the main reason. xD

2. Fire Emblem

By far one of the best series ever made. I absolutely love how the games work.

1. Super Mario RPG Legen of the Seven Stars

Nostalgia. One of the first games I have memories of playing. And to this day I find it never getting stale.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
This will be REALLY REALLY HARD to do!

10-The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
9-Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest
8-Bomberman 64
7-Metroid Prime
6-Super Smash Bros.
5-Pokémon Crystal Version
4-Paper Mario
3-Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island
2-Mario Party 3
1-Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
#10 Luigi's Mansion - I really enjoyed this game but I put it at #10 since it was so short and easy.
#9 Super Mario Galaxy - I would put SMG2 on this list except I haven't finished it so...
#8 Kirby Air Ride - This game is a ton of fun I really enjoy it especially with friends, if you have a Gamecube (which I'm sure most of you do) you own it to yourself to pick this game up.
#7 Zelda Twilight Princess - This is the first Zelda I ever finished so it holds a special place in my heart.
#6 Super Smash Bros. Brawl/Project M - Brawl was my first Smash game I ever played (though Melee is the first one I owned) so I had to put it somewhere on the list.
#5 Metroid Prime - I would put MP2: Echoes on this list but like SMG2, I haven't finished it yet.... :/
#4 Zelda Skyward Sword - This game is really good, I beat it once than I immediately started Hero Mode and beat it again.
#3 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - This game...this game is just SOOOOO GOOOOOOD. Nuff said.
#2 Monster Hunter 3 Tri - I FREAKING LOVE THIS GAME. It is soooooooo good. I only wish they had not shut down the online servers. :'(
IT'S NUMBER ONE..........
#1 Super Smash Bros. Meleeeeeeeee - Even though I love all the games on my list none of them compare to Melee. I remember playing Brawl at a friends house and then I just had to buy a Smash game. Well I didn't have $50 to spend on Brawl so I bought Melee at a used game store for $15 And I played it and played it and played it. It is for sure my favorite Smash game and my favorite game of all time. (So far anyway.)

Nautilus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5000-4410
EDIT: Redid the list excluding Smash games.

Lotta badass games in this topic. I love making these sorts of lists, even though mine is in constant flux. In no particular order and with a one game per franchise thing:

- Yume Nikki
One of the games that kindled my love of exploration, creepiness and surrealism in games and opened me up to a flood of indie gaming. The horror/horror-esque RPG is one of my favorite genres as a whole, and Yume Nikki is pretty much an undefinable classic. Though I'll often praise The Witch's House for it's amazing use of story via mechanics, and Ib for it's atmosphere and character design, Yume Nikki holds my heart like no other.

- Live A Live
In my opinion, there is no more unique of an experience to be had with an RPG on the SNES. One of many examples of Squaresoft's golden age, but shamefully it was never officially translated. Having played Aeon Genesis' translation of the game, I can say without a doubt that I found it be one of the most charming gaming experiences I've ever had.

- Pokemon Y
Yeah, a game series you have HEARD of. There's so much imagination and amazing design in this series, and it's been with me practically my whole life. I love training those little things, and Y just fixed any beef I had with the series beforehand.

-Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith
Shmups are another one of my favorite genres, and Touhou is where I got my start with them. Though Highly Responsive to Prayers and Double Spoiler are very close contenders, this is the one I enjoyed most. I love the music, characters and insanity, as most people do.

-Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
Fell in love with this game within the first few seconds, literally. I already loved it when the opening was just starting. My first disgaea game and the start of a huge craze for me. Tenpai Sato <3, Takehito Harada <3, Nippon Ichi in general <3. This taught me that I actually really did love the tactics genre, after rather mediocre others such as Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics made me think I didn't.

-Zelda: A Link To The Past
I'm not the biggest zelda fan, honestly, but this one was just so much fun to me it's ridiculous. It's grilled into my mind. I don't really like the 3d Zelda games for some reason, but when Link Between Worlds was announced I freaked. This game is so meticulous, so classic.

-Super Mario Bros 3.
In my opinion, the best Mario game. Perhaps nostalgia plays into it, perhaps I'm unwilling to truly dissect my reasoning. The level design is ingenius, the music and aesthetics are godly. This game makes me happy regardless of my mood. I'm honestly not sure I would love video games the way I do today if not for this game.

-Virtue's Last Reward: Zero Escape
The story, the perfect use of the medium, the complexity. I don't know what to say. I've never heard of another visual novel-esque or puzzle game I've begun to like as much as this. It requires 999 be played beforehand, more or less, and is a completely mind blowing experience. Best use of story I've seen in a game, honestly.

-Everything by "thatgamecompany"
Okay I know this one is cheating. It's multiple games beyond a doubt. But come on, these guys are pushing the envelope. What a sexy group of people. "Flower" was the best 7 bucks I ever spent.

-The World Ends With You
Jupiter, did you straighten Square Enix out or something? It's the best game they've made in ages. So much style, uniqueness and personality jam packed into one DS cartridge, it's amazing.

Bonus [Most Anticipated Game]:

Night in the Woods

By leaps and bounds.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Not in exact order.

01) Super Mario Bros 3 - The FIRST video game I ever played on the NES, and STILL my favorite game of all time. It had everything. Power ups, challenging levels, great controls. And for the longest time I couldn't get past the first level. Then one day my father was able to get to the second land, and suddenly something just snapped. I took the controller from there and made it all the way to Dark World by myself - where I defeated Bowser. We then ordered pizza. It probably had something to do with my father originally telling me mushrooms hurt you, so we avoided them, but later found out they don't actually hurt you but make you stronger.
02) Majora's Mask
03) Super Mario RPG
04) Kirby's Dreamland 2
05) Kirby All Stars
06) Earthbound - I had heard ALL this hype about Earthbound for a long time from my friends and decided to finally play it. It wasn't what I expected from their description but it was quirky and fun
07) Donkey Kong Country 2 - Deserves higher on the list but I don't want to go back and edit it. the DKC were my favorite games during their lifetime with DKC2 being my all time favorite. I remember the first day I played it, the Super Nintendo being set up in the kitchen and the neighbor girl from across the street bringing it over. It just has the best atmosphere of the games.
08) LoZ: Link's Awakening - While it was the second LoZ I owned, after OoT, Link's Awakening was one of my top Gameboy games for years and I enjoy the top down Zelda games
09) Dragon Quest 9 (or 8) - I went with 9 because I played the game multiple times, and I loved the job class system. I even made a chart on how to build the ultimate character of each class. 8 is also really good, but 9 wins barely because of the job system.
10) FF VI - Tough one but I went with FF VI because I enjoyed the atmosphere and the characters. I also enjoy FF 3 and 2 greatly and I like building my own character aspects of those games, but VI had better characters,

Super Metroid should probably go on the list somewhere

I'll finish the list later

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I see a lot of games on my backlog here. That means I have to play games huhhhh
The Etrian Odyssey series is REALLY good but I just haven't got a chance to play them all yet. Earthbound I feel will be a OoT situation where it'll be good but not as good as people say, so although I have it I wanted to wait until that kind of renewed hype died down. DK games are awesome too, plan on getting 999/VLR sometime...Air Ride is the best also. Also warning I don't branch out enough, this is mostly Nintendo stuff.

--

No particular order. I avoided looking at posts when I wrote this so I wouldn't be influenced much.

Metroid Prime - Actually played MP2 first and didn't get to play Metroid Prime until I got Metroid Trilogy. Everything about the game is beautiful and better than its sequels imo from the music, to the bosses, to the lore. Prime series is awesome overall but this one is the most fun to me.

Animal Crossing: Wild World - My first game in the series. The wireless communication that came with the DS made this one of the most fun games with friends and there's nothing else like an AC game.

Mighty Switch Force! HD -
It's probably weird that I like an indie game so much but the entire series is one of the most fun I have ever played. I can just pick it up on a lazy afternoon and try a few levels or sit down for a few hours and try to improve my times. It's kind of "my game."

Fire Emblem Awakening -
My first FE game I played to completion, I was really impressed by the story and music most of all. Just one of those games that really keeps you involved and has a satisfying conclusion.

Metroid Fusion - First 2D Metroid I played. The beginning was slow to me but by the time I got to Nightmare I was thinking this was an awesome game. Kind of like other games here I like it because it has satisfying gameplay and bosses and is just fun to play.

Pokemon Emerald - Was always a fan of Pokemon but this is the game I loved the most. Not much else to say...it's Pokemon.

Phoenix Wright: Justice for All - Was a bit slow to get to this series but I pretty much played them back to back since they're so awesome. They all have good stories but I liked almost every case in this one...meaning I was either completely shocked at the outcome or just loved the breakdowns.

Super Mario Sunshine - First 3D Mario I played and enjoyed a lot.

Super Mario 64 DS - I played this so much...I got it in 4th grade I think. There's something about these games that is just fun.

Ocarina of Time - I never really fell for the "best game ever omgggg" but it's an incredible game.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
Note! These are games that I've finished/have come close to finishing.

Honorable Mentions:

Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light

Baten Kaitos

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Zombi Ate My Neighbor

Kirby Air Ride

Super Smash Brothers: 64/Melee/Brawl.

Official List of Favorite Games.

1:

Name: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

Platform: GameCube

Why I love it: Fire Emblem is truly one of my favorite Nintendo franchises, and this being my favorite one of the entire series, it earns the Number One Spot. This was also my first FE game, and, even after playing some several others, it still holds strong in my heart. There's just something so charming about it, and I feel that it is one of the better balanced games in the series. I also enjoy the story quite a bit, despite it being somewhat predictable, but what really makes this game shine for me is the Support Conversations, this, along with Awakening, are by far the best in terms of characters, due to just how the Support Conversations work, however, due to the Info system in PoR, I feel that it has a leg up on Awakening in terms of characters. This title is truly one of my absolute favorites and I never tire of playing through it.

2:

Name: Gotcha Force.

Platform: GameCube

Why I love it: This was THE GAME when I was little. Never had I played such a fantastic game before or since. There's just something about it that always had me coming back for more. One of the things that I really love about this game is that you're able to build teams out of over 900 Borgs and have them battle it out in a Sandbox Arena filled with chaos and explosions. This game is just pure, mindless fun that took up much time in my childhood and just always managed to put me in a good mood after playing it. For that reason and MANY others, this game has earned second place on my list. :3

3:

Name(s): Tales of Phantasia/Symphonia/Xillia

Platform(s): GBA/GameCube/PS3

Why I love it (them): Tales of Phantasia was litlerally my first Tales game that I played solo (via Emulator) and it was an extreme amount of fun. The combat, despite being very old, and very different from most modern games in the franchise, is still quite fluent, fast, and fun to the point that I can still go back and play it with little complaint. I even finished it almost 100% (which is rare for me, since a bit lazy :p), and I loved how each of the characters played, even if they were just your basic Mage and Warrior archetypes. This is tied with two other games for my third favorite game

Symphonia holds a special place in my heart due to it being the first Tales game that I ever played, it was also the first co-op video game I had ever played with my brother. Since we could work together in the game, we fought very rarely, because at the end of the day, we were on the same side. I have so many memories of going through this game with my brother, we even finished it some 7 times we loved it so much. The characters were alright, though lacked the detail Xillia presented with it's characters, but still pretty good. I just really love this game because it was both fun, and it was one of the few games that could bring my brother and I together. :)

Xillia is the most recent Tales game I've played, and like with Symphonia, I played it alongside my brother. What I really like about this game is the story and characters, yes, the game-play is REALLY good and fluent, but it's the characters that really made this game for me. There wasn't a single character in the main group that I disliked, and seeing how their friendship slowly blossoms into a strong comradely, watching how they interact with their various personalities is simply wonderful to me. My brother and I haven't played this as much as we did Symphonia, but nonetheless, I love this game for about the same reasons. :)

4:

Name: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin/Harmony of Dissonance

Platform: Nintendo DS/GBA

Why I love 'em: I've always been a big fan of Castlevania, save for the more recent entries, but after a bit of consideration, these are my absolute favorites. PoR (Holy crap, I just realized that it has the same abbreviation as... anywho) is my favorite because I like the dynamic between Johnathan and Charlotte, being able to play as two completely different characters is just plain awesome; this was also my first Castlevania game, but it wasn't until I went back and played again that I realized just how much of a gem it really is.

HoD is my favorite because of the game-play. It just flows so well and it's quite interesting playing as a Belmont that's able to use Magick alongside Weapons; being able to combined the two is also quite fun as well, especially since some of the combinations were just plain broken. I finished this game 100% in a single week, I enjoyed it so much, and that is the reason it's number 4 on my list. :)

5:

Name: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift.

Platform: DS

What I like about it: There's actually quite a bit I dislike about this game, the story could have been better, some of the Classes and combinations are just plain broken, and there isn't much replayablity after completely all 300 Quests. That being said, this is still one of my favorite Tactical RPGs due to just how refine the battle system is and aside from a few broken things here and there, it's still a joy to play. I've played this game for over 500 Hours and I still go back every once in a while just to mess around with my old team.

6:

Name: Avalon Code

Platform: DS

What I like about this game: This was one of the most innovative games I've ever played. The fact that it had so much to offer in terms of story and game-play made it such a joy to play. I especially loved the concept of the game, basically (kind of) being the decider of the future of the new world and such. I also love the diverse cast of characters that add quite a bit of charm to an already awesome game. The only reason this isn't higher on the list is because I never found much replayability from it.

Name: Mario: Sunshine

Platform: Gamecube

What I like about it: This is perhaps one of the only Mario games that I truly enjoyed through and through. It's a bit of a drastic change from the traditional Mario formula, but that's what I love about it. This game is what really got me into 3D platformers, and it's just plain fun. :)

7:

Name: Blazblue series

Platform: PS3

What I like about it: This is my absolute favorite fighting game. There's not much that I can say, it's well made, I love most of the characters play-styles and personalities, and the story's quality is far above your average fighting game.

8:

Name: Magical Starsign

What I liked about it: It's such a simple RPG with nothing really standoffish about it, however, this game managed to keep me entertained for a good while when I was younger. It has just enough depth to it to keep you playing, but still remains quite simple throughout most parts of the game. I'm not quite sure why I love it so much, but it certainly DOES deserve to be on this list, that's for sure. :)

9:

Name: Mario: Sunshine

Platform: Gamecube

What I like about it: This is perhaps one of the only Mario games that I truly enjoyed through and through. It's a bit of a drastic change from the traditional Mario formula, but that's what I love about it. This game is what really got me into 3D platformers, and it's just plain fun. :)

10:

Name: Prospective

Platform: NewGrounds

What I liked about this game: It was quite the simple Platformer to play. There wasn't much to it besides jumping, and it's little quirk, changing the prospective of your surroundings, which was actually quite interesting. What I really loved about this game, though, was the ending. There was just something so sweet about it that it made me tear up a bit. :)

Last edited:

Swann

Smash Journeyman
No multiplayer-centric games (smash, for example) on this list.

10. Dustforce
9. Fez
8. Link's Awakening
7. Bastion
6. Majora's Mask
5. Shadow of the Colossus
4. Final Fantasy 7
3. Super Metroid
2. Metal Gear Solid
1. Okami

Honestly, can't believe Okami hadn't come up in this thread yet.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
10. Team Fortress 2 - A very fun, addictive and hilarious fps, and it's FREE!
9. Injustice Gods Among Us/Mortal Kombat - Me and my friends played both of these Netherrealm games to death, so I just couldn't split them.
8. Street Fighter X Tekken - The crossover was good, and scramble mode was addictive as hell.
7. Mario Kart Wii - So many characters to unlock and so many cool tracks. Good times.
6. Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed - So many unexpected characters (especially PC version, looking at you Simon of Yogscast), and unbelievably detailed and unique tracks.
5. Super Street Fighter 4 - A tonne of characters and is a great fighting game experience.
4. Super Mario Galaxy - A truly great and epic game. Finally brought some variety to the Mario franchise.
3. Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 - A lot of characters from both Marvel and Capcom, and simple yet fun gameplay. A true fighting game classic (even though the endings kinda suck)
2. Batman: Arkham City - A truly creepy game that made the World's Greatest Detective even greater, with so many secrets, riddles and puzzles scattered everywhere, as well as a very gripping story.
1. Super Smash Brothers Brawl - It's just the best. I wouldn't be here without this game, and I wouldn't have gotten anywhere near as exited for the new Smash Bros as I am.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
lol havent thought about this in like a decade

1. StarCraft: Brood War: Even though I rarely played it, it was by far my favorite spectator sport. Had it all: drama, personality, history, organization, fanboys, fangirls, unparallel hype.

The perfect blend of tech skill (makes Melee look like child's play) and strategy. Oh, the timings one could manipulate! The better your tech the more timings available. How literally ten seconds in timing could be the difference between winning and losing!

2. Melee: I lost all interest in video games, BW excepted, once this game came out.

3. Final Fantasy Tactics: Mind-blowing experience.

4. Tactics Ogre: The Knights of Lodis: A mini-FFT. How could I not love it?!

5. Dragon Warrior III/Dragon Warrior Monsters: Old school hardcore RPG! DWM put Pokemon to shame by allowing legitimate breeding. Incredible depth. Golden slimes were mad annoying.

6. Skies of Arcadia: Where do you think Vyse0wnz came from?!

7. Grandia II: Best battle system ever.

8. Tales of Phantasia: So worth the effort to find a good translation.

9. Jet Grind Radio for DreamCast (SEGA!)

10. Red Alert II: In hindsight made an error playing this RTS over Brood War, but I had a blast nonetheless. Many sleepless high school nights.

Honorable mention: Metal Gear Solid for Game Boy Color: Was just thinking about this game the other day! What a perfect game! Deserving of GameSpot's perfect 10.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
10. Golden Sun (game boy advance)- I worked at a head shop and put into over 90 hours into it on slowdays

9. Tactics ogre (game boy advance)- Once again I worked a slow retail head shop store in my early 20's

8. Rock and Roll racing (super nintendo)- Growing up I spent so much time playing this 2 players with my friend who I still keep in contact with

7. Goldeneye (nintendo 64)- 4 player FPS fun for hours with neighborhood freinds I still keep in contact with

6. Shenmue (sega dreamcast)- The attention to detail and mini games really got my attention for a long time

5. Killer instinct (nintedo 64)- Probably spent 100 in the arcades easilly so when I could play TJ Combo on a console I played for hours

4. Legend of Zelda (super nintendo)- This game opened my eyes that would lead my interests into other genres

3. Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 (xbox360, ps3)- I have over 10,000 games played online

2. Super Smash Brothers Melee (gamecube)- So much to say about this game that's been said a million times before

1. Team fortress 2 (pc)- I purchased 800 dollars worth of hardware last week to make this game play better. Enough said.

Top Bottom