• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what are your preferred neutral tools vs sheik?

Kaladel

Smash Rookie
Hey all!

Seeing as there is already tons of information regarding the Sheik MU, I thought I would go a little deeper and ask you (the Samus community) what your preferred tools are against her in the neutral game. As a long time fan of Plup's old Samus, I've always thought his use of d-tilt into aerials works well against her weird air mobility.

Lately, I've been in the lab experimenting with bombs to force her to approach in the air so I can wave-dash back into punish. Works occasionally and it isn't super high risk.

I know everyone likes to play with a bit of their own flair, so what do YOU like to use in the neutral against Sheik? Do you space well with jabs and f-tilt? Do you commit hard with d-smash or d-tilt for the crazy combos? Are you somewhere in between?

Happy smashing out there :)

HolePuncher

Smash Rookie
Each of those tactics works, but also each can be easily countered if sheik expects it.

So I think you have to do some of everything and not focus entirely on one tactic. I will say that sheik does seem to be more susceptible to CC counterattacks than spacies or falcon.

Kaladel

Smash Rookie
Each of those tactics works, but also each can be easily countered if sheik expects it.

So I think you have to do some of everything and not focus entirely on one tactic. I will say that sheik does seem to be more susceptible to CC counterattacks than spacies or falcon.
I think you're right with doing a little of everything. Sheik's neutral tends to counter Samus's well when she ends up being too predictable. I tend to have a hard time landing any CC attack vs SHing Sheiks.

CupNoodles SC

Smash Rookie
Played a bit of friendlies and I noticed Sheik's needles get in the way with so much such as: charge shots, approaches, and recoveries.

I feel it'll take more practice and experience to learn how to deal with it.

Thoughts?

Smash Journeyman
Played a bit of friendlies and I noticed Sheik's needles get in the way with so much such as: charge shots, approaches, and recoveries.

I feel it'll take more practice and experience to learn how to deal with it.

Thoughts?
charge shots: don't shoot when they can throw needles

approaches: use platforms to dodge, or shield -> wd oos, or jab the needles (!!)

recoveries: vary your drift with bomb jumps, mix up the timing of your initial bomb, sometimes don't lay the second bomb and just drift in. save your jump. if you expect to get needled during a grapple attempt, airdodge, don't input grapple, and sdi the needles, and then grapple.

CupNoodles SC

Smash Rookie
charge shots: don't shoot when they can throw needles

approaches: use platforms to dodge, or shield -> wd oos, or jab the needles (!!)

recoveries: vary your drift with bomb jumps, mix up the timing of your initial bomb, sometimes don't lay the second bomb and just drift in. save your jump. if you expect to get needled during a grapple attempt, airdodge, don't input grapple, and sdi the needles, and then grapple.
Thanks a bunch

Top Bottom