• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions on footstools?

Do you like Footstools?

• Total voters

EtrianHero23

Smash Cadet
Before I was into the competitive scene, I did not really care about footstools. I saw a couple of videos showcasing numerous combos that required footstools and I was hooked. However, I realized that a majority of these footstool combos are entirely situational and that are near impossible to land in a high level match.

I've actually grown to hate footstools, mainly because whenever someone does a footstool, it's almost always accidental. Think about it. When was the last time you intended to footstool someone to gimp them? Heck, at times when I try to gimp my opponent, they footstool me out of nowhere, causing me to lose the match. I also hate those footstool cancels that just throw me up high into the air and mess up whatever set up I was creating.

So yeah, what are your guys' opinions on footstools? I'd love to hear it.

I totally did not make this thread because I was screwed over by a footstool. Yep. Totally not salty.

D

Deleted member

I've never cared for them. It's almost always accidental and even when I get a kill via it, it doesn't satisfy me that much.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I like them, they are funny. But it is so hard to land them consistently :(

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The only problem with them is that they're so easy to execute you can do them unintentionally. After that they're great a leas to a lot of shenanigans, especially during doubles

Raijinken

Smash Master
The only mechanic I hate nearly as much as tripping.

Also the least satisfying spike in the world.

Last edited:

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
Almost completely useless, but so worth if you ever land one (which will likely only happen by accident, if you ever do get the opportunity you are way better off just using whatever aerial or etc you have at your disposal.)

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
A godly recovery tool for Ness, especially against characters like villager and Rosa who jump off stage to intercept with pocket or gravitational pull.

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Hate them. Makes recovering all the more annoying to handle when you've got a dumb feature like that to take into account for gimping.

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
I like the addition, as well as the jumping off of someone mid-stage fo more Verticality, They don't happen often enough to be a problem. If you can read someone into footstool on recovery, or get lucky to jump from where they are, i think it's a decent Risk/Reward mechanic that makes at lest going for a gimp more advantageous.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I'm honestly iffy about them. Majority of the time it happens it's funny, though at other times it can be extremely frustrating especially when you get gimped from it.

Peff

Smash Cadet
I like them. However, I think the delay/stay/whatever you call it shouldn't be so long. Just a smidge shorter.

Once you learn some combos that could lead to an offstage footstool, they become a fantastic tool for being a butt.

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I just wish they had a separate input instead of the jump button so I didn't do them by accident.

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
I like them.

They add a wide range of combos for characters and adds a higher skill cap to the game IF they are done on purpose!

On a casual side, its pretty funny when there done unintentionally! Its always funny when I prevent an edge guard by accidentally footstooling my opponent. :D

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think they're hilarious, though I will agree that they are kind of dumb :laugh:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
They are fantastic. The only thing more satisfying as a kill move is Luigi's kick-taunt

Dade

Smash Rookie
I love them! They're pretty situational, as stated a couple times above, but once you get them down pat you can really play some mind games. They're pretty hilarious when they aren't intentional, though, and that's why I love them. It's pretty entertaining when a battle is heating up, you're both edgeguarding the actual hell out of each other, and someone accidentally footstools the other off into oblivion.
These are the moments footstools are for. <3

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Not often they do happen but can be quite useful when you least expect them. Can make up for some amusing moments if done right.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I don't care for them but I can see their use and they're not usually in the way.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Wait, what's with this poll? Just yes or no? I like footstooling people. I don't like getting footstooled. I can't be the only person with this opinion, right? Other than that, it's a legit tactic just like spiking or frame-trapping.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Considering they're the only way to force an untechable knockdown, they're pretty cool.

Bee86

Smash Rookie
NNID
beebianchini
3DS FC
2294-5166-9137
I'm into footstools, mostly because I don't get salty when someone footstools me. It was good timing on their part, so I'll give them that KO.
It's not like it's just some unavoidable thing that happens all the time, you actually have to time a footstool in order for it to work.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
It's a love-hate relationship for footstools with me.

Legit, I never go for a foot stool. Most footstools I get are accidental. They're never intended but I always get lucky cause I get the mechanic to gimp my opponent which leads to their death which leads to the fun aspect of it.

The problem is, I never get them to work consistently. Some things that annoy me about it is when you actually footstool someone, you get the jump from the footstool but your opponent doesn't fall. Apparently, you footstool(ed) them while they were in an animation and they don't receive the falling state.

Oh and don't get me started on people who legit land it consistently cause I don't get that at all.

DiggsLeehay

Smash Rookie
I love 'em. Heck, during one of my matches, both of my kills were from footstools.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
it's rare that i accidentally footstool someone.. every time i land a footstool it's pretty much intentional. only way you can accidentally footstool someone is mashing the jump button... why would you mash the jump button

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not sure if it's some bug or intentional or something, but sometimes when I try to footstool an opponent, I get my extra jump but my opponent doesn't transition into their fall animation and thus are still able to recover just fine and all.

Otherwise, I suppose its pretty neat whenever you do pull it off properly though.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if it's some bug or intentional or something, but sometimes when I try to footstool an opponent, I get my extra jump but my opponent doesn't transition into their fall animation and thus are still able to recover just fine and all.

Otherwise, I suppose its pretty neat whenever you do pull it off properly though.
that happens when your opponent is in any attack, dodge or shield animation.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
I just wish they had a separate input instead of the jump button so I didn't do them by accident.
You stole what I was gonna say. :/
But, yeah. They're satisfying, and useful for characters with unreliable aerial spikes (or none whatsoever, either situationally, like Robin without the Levin Sword, or Wind magic/having equipped Gliding Elwind, or just at all)

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158
I like them. In most cases it's anticlimactic because it's a total accident when it happens. But I intentionally try to land them on someone who goes deep for a spike and misses like an overzealous captain falcon player.

Last edited:

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
It's a love/hate thing. They're good when it comes to stylish combos. Then again, I hate when I try to edgegaurd off stage and get gimped from something so jank. If I had to choose I'd say "Get 'em outta here!".

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
I don't think i've ever actually done one intentionally, though I do like how easy it is for them to happen when you're d-air-ing people off the edge as Kirby :D

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Usually accidental. But they're fun for team combos and some crazy tricks. I can consistently D-air - footstool - D-air - footstool people off the ledge with Kirby... So, yeah...

Last edited:

TSmasher1000

Smash Rookie
They're too situational and usually not that good in singles. However in doubles they can be utilized into chains that are impossible to get out of and are not very hard to setup in doubles if your partner is very synced with you. Simply throw someone, your partner footstools, he falls into an untechable situation where he can be hit up again, footstooled and chained.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
I love footstools, you can use them to get out of a bad spot, they're the ultimate form of disrespect off stage, and also you can get some cool combos out of them in singles. Also they're super legit in doubles for combos and not even that hard to setup.

Br0ken

Smash Rookie
Footstools from my experience are almost always accidental. I personally have no qualms with them because they happen so infrequently to me but they can be very annoying if you are hitting your stride and then lose via footstool.

Top Bottom