• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your favorite Sonic strategies/tricks?

The BlackChrimson

Smash Apprentice
Blue Streak, Speed of Sound, Sonic The Hedgehog! :sonic:
Basically the title above...What are your favorite things to do in a mach against someone? i.e mindgames, surfing, ect.

Personally, I like the faking using dozens of spin cancelling and a lot of throwing plus rushing to chase my opponent off stage. Especially if it's Ike or Olimar, because they can be gimped. I believe a lot of faking can get your opponent disoriented and you can chase after them going on a full-out assault.

I'm presently working on a certain SDC and follow up with a fsmash or something...There are some tricks I want to pull off, but I need practice and such, and I believe that others may want to know too.

Here's the plan: List your favorite tricks you can pull off, and they'll be listed here in the first post. If you have a video, we can make one heck of an archive! All I ask is anyone's cooporation. It'll all be appreciated.
Also, if you propose a trick or strategy, please list on how to do it, and if yopu have footage, please do share! A visual aid is almost always a must.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Blue Blur Trick Archive:

(Te be filled in later...)

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
There's this cool thing called the "Sonic Tech Lab"........

But no worries, this could be a cool thread if people actually participated. I personally like:
-Foxtrot to pivot/stutter fsmash
-Homing attack against characters with poor horizontal air movement. (i'm looking at you dedede)
-Landcamping with dsmash
-Dtilt grab setups
-DDP shenanigans
-Techchasing with usmash

The list goes on and on. Sonic's such a cool character.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, can't really think of my fav tricks, i haven't played in a few weeks so im blankin right now, but off the top of my head, i really like using uthrow -> bair. Everyone always expects the uthrow ->uair (which is a staple of sonic, and another of my usuals) and they always airdodge right away expecting the uair. So i kinda run a bit to the side and jump, wait for that air dodge to end, then release my bair in their faces. It's only worked for me at low percents cause the bair is short hopped, but i don't see why it won't work at large percents with perhaps a spring into it. But it's safer to use uair at high percents anyway. So i only use this at the start of the opponent's stock while he's still in range of a short hopped bair from the uthrow. It's pretty good!

Uhh, let's see.. spin dash attack/spin dash jump -> homing attack. Saw malcolm doing it a lot in a few videos, and surprisingly, it works well. Esp since i never use HA, so it has an unstaled knockback almost all the time.

And my fav, run at them a bit, turn around real fast, then aim a fsmash at em. I don't know what it's called, but everyone does it, and man, is it good. They never see it comin! They always think the turn around means that i'm going to run in the opposite direction, and by the time they drop their shield they realize that sonic's been charging his fsmash. Then release. Pow! Right in the kisser.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I like pretending to pick Sonic and then choosing Metaknight. Gets 'em every time.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Personally, I love using the spinshot as a method of getting away from someone and regrouping if you're stuck in the air. I love SH-UAirs when someone is right beside me as I pop them right up if I shield/power shield their attacks.

I absolutely love DAir KOs, those are fun as hell. Also, spinshot off the edge, to spring, to dair back on the edge for a little extra damage. Man, for a mid-tier character there's so much you can do. I like spin charging at the opponent, rising up before I even hit them, using my second jump, charging into the spin charge again, get ready to hit the ground, only to cancel it.

Tricks. They're awesome.

infomon

Smash Scientist
My favourite trick: while you're both way offstage and both trying to recover: Spring > Dair (off-stage) > footstool.

You make it back onto the stage from the footstool jump, and the footstool should kill them or at least mess them up.

It's the most insane suicidal thing I've pulled off. Twice now.

Once was on Shiri on wifi a couple nights ago :laugh:

4nace

Smash Ace
I like picking MetaKnight and then choosing Sonic, gets em every time because they think the match is a free win.
And then are even happier when it IS a free win for them =P

Haha, just kidding.

Here's a vid thats kinda similar to Infzy's awesome tech though not as epic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXOZDIaAFBQ

Also my 3 favorite are as follows.
1.) When someone is coming back to the level or hanging on the ledge, leave a spring near the edge and then immediately down air to the ground. Most players are afraid of Sonic's spring and they should be. This very much limits the area that they can safely land and if you space yourself well then you can usually get a F-smash out of it if they wont go off the spring. And if they do, then dash and jump and chase them with up-air.

2.) Aerial Side B cancels close to the ground. Especially out of spinshots and other times when youre moving quick. My opponents always complain when they get hit by F-smashs and back-airs that they could've sworn I was facing the other way. As Sonic, I always land the way that I want to be facing and thats because Side-B is amazing.

3.) Foxtrot to boost pivot grab. This is a pro-tech and looks so sexy. Do a long sliding foxtrot toward your opponent, slowing down right in front of them. Normally I would then dash attack because my opponents have spot-dodged too early. But now they are conditioned against that and wait to spot-dodge. At first I would just let the fox-trot finish but then that would end up getting me hit because it does have a lot of lag. What I love to do now, is input a Boost Pivot Grab, which gets them if they spot-dodge too early and allows you to act with alot less lag if they do spot-dodge on time. Also it looks hilarious because Sonic slows to almost a stop and then quickly spins around the opponent grabbing them.

Also CiTH is right Spinshot techs are sweet with Spinshot -> SideB cancel to grab on the other side of them still being the sexiest haha.

-4nace

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
My top 10

1) At low %, calling out character's habits from sonic's uthrow and regrabbing.

2) space a bair fsmash so they try to grab you after the bair and eat the fsmash.

3) Bait a sidestep and charge an fsmash.

4) Run past the opponent and fastfall a bair. They usually either sidestep when they see you coming or drop the shield as you run past them.

5) if they start DI'ing my uthrow, do an fthrow spring to uair kill.

6) on delfino I like doing the utilt out of spindash on those little stairs. you move so far while utilting.

7) On PS1 I like doing a forward b to the right on the little bush. So many people get hit by that.

8) On rainbow cruise do the glitch spindash thing on the right hand side of the boat.

9) On halberd, use the laser to edgeguard.

10) Don't know the name of it. It's where you run away then forward b towards and shield cancel it. It's kinda like wavedashing. Really messes up people's spacing.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
i like when sonic turns into a ball and spins around.

oh, and how do i shot spin?

:093:

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
you shot spins by spinning, then shotting.

i love spindash > nair. The nair almost always does max damage if done right.

i also like footstool > spring. Especially against spaceys.

and then, there's side taunt. it's a tactic in and of itself.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Oh. One of my favorite things to do, ESPECIALLY against Snake players?

Up Throw > Up Throw (read their back air or air dodge towards the ground since he gets juggled easily) > UAir > BAir (next step if they DI incorrectly) > BAir > Charge DSmash and wait for them to come down. I got an easy 60/70% out of this combo once and it was beast.

Technologikall

Smash Apprentice
I like pressing Bv and then confusing them when I'm still using the same character. =D

And I ike that B^ can stage spike MK out of his B^when he recovers low enough (Which most of them do).

Top Bottom