• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the next characters to win a major?

Sephion

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
SEPH#689
With seeing a C. Falcon and Pikachu mains win a major for the first time, (in 10 years for falcon) whats next for us? We might see aMSa's Yoshi or Franz's Doctor Mario win a tourney, but then what? With DontTestMe's (secretly Zain) skill with Roy, I think Roy might develop and be able to win. Post your thoughts!

nekofnek

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
NEK#898
Yoshi will probably be the next to win a major. The low tier with the most potential to me is Mewtwo, but saying Mewtwo is viable might be too much of a stretch.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Most likely Yoshi. aMSa is crazy skilled with him! Beyond that, I think DK and Mewtwo have loads of potential, and are the two I'd most like to see win a major. But with no one currently playing those characters at levels similar to aMSa and Axe, it'll be a long time before they win, if ever.

RoundUp

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
RNDP#758
Roy has to much potential to win a major.
i really dont see it happening tbh. solo roy is just... no. zain has to fight like crazy to beat the other top players with marth, so unless he gets a crazy breakaway like he had at the beginning of last year and gets a lot better than the rest, theres no shot.

Bizarro_Mask

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
BMAS#377
After the great Performance of Amsa i am 100% it's just a question of time for Samus , there is just no good enought players to play Samus at very high level , just Yoshi have less players but the good players .

Also i am genuilly optimistic about the Mario Brothers :
Luigi have strong aerials moves , and Mario and Doc have some intressting tools in neutral , unlike Gannondorf who i think will never win a big tournament due to an overall too much weakness .

Goty Rase

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
RAZ#535
i really dont see it happening tbh. solo roy is just... no. zain has to fight like crazy to beat the other top players with marth, so unless he gets a crazy breakaway like he had at the beginning of last year and gets a lot better than the rest, theres no shot.
Roy is a good character but the problem is that Marth exist and all people prefer play Marth than Roy, Roy has good combos, he is fast, can do chaingrab to fast fallers, can mix up his recovery, can kill jigglypuff, Pichu, G&W and others characters easily with his up b. Also his up air is a good tool to combos and kill confirms.His best tool to kill is he forward Smash and the side b.Roy is good, what Roy need is a player that discovers combos and use and the Roy tools to win.Search and look to the old tier list, Jigglypuff, Captain falcon, Yoshi and Pikachu was considered bad characters, only when Axe, Amsa, Wizzrobe and HungryBox started winning with that characters, only in that moment people saw the potential and look to the actual tier list.

Abefroman

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
ABEF#110
Switch FC
SW-7672-2689-2784
Roy is total dogwater. If the bracket was 100% foxes then he might have a chance to just cheese them all out and chaingrab them to death, sure. But floaties just annihilate him. The puff one hit kill is a stupid meme option because it only works on a couple stages and is insanely hard to line up consistently (I'd know, people try to counterpick my gnw with roy all the time lol) All the puffs would have to do is avoid yoshi's like most people avoid FD against marth.

His combo game, recovery and kill options are all insanely worse than marth's. His aerials can be cc'ed until forever, he just struggles so freaking hard to get anything done. If zain decided to main him starting now he'd probably do ok and make some top 8's because zain is a monster, but like a different guy said in this thread earlier, winning a tournament is REALLY hard even with marth. Doing it with marth's dopey mediocre cousin is a nightmare.

Aidya

Smash Rookie
There are several characters good enough to win but you’d have to dedicate your life to the game to do it, and anyone who would do that for melee will just pick fox.

Top Bottom