• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the best videos (In terms of editing)?

oats_

Smash Apprentice
As a person who plays other games (like counter-strike) where videos are edited very well, with tons of music syncs and flashy effects, I've always been interested in these types of movies.

Most of the melee combo videos that I've seen are not edited very well (in this style). Even though they feature amazingly skilled combos and players, most of the time they appear to just be one clip after another.

As someone who is new to melee, I haven't had a chance to watch alot of quality combo videos, so I wish to ask the question: does anyone know of some combo videos that are high quality in terms of editing and music syncing?

The only one I've seen that is like this so far is:

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
take a look at Falcon by sigma, Ashes to Ashes a roy combo vid (good editing), Convictus a luxembourg collab combo vid, crazy little jungle (tech video), Eggstinction 1 & 2, the AXE effect, Perfect Dark a fox combo vid, Shadow Claw IV (great editing), So much style (mango) by sigma, TAI-tipping an ilusion (great music syncs), The minds of the amazing, Var-ious Aggresion (possibly the best edited melee vid ever) and watch the entire Starchaser series (amazing music, and some of the jankiest combos-ever)

hope this helps

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Surprised I never saw this "Starchaser" stuff as well as the "Convictus" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AIAtAsfYZE The musics good and is synced wonderfully, they use soft but fast transitions, they leave the game sound on, they play on lots of stages with lots of characters, and the combos are unique and crazy! AND their foreigners just like the Ariquenuubs people

If memory serves correctly, I agree, there aren't that many vids that incorporate special effects and various synchings and such, and even fewer that take effort to develop that cohesively into their presentation. That said, several good videos have tight, solid, or creative editing, with some isolated special effects, and sometimes synching, but it's often just good editing, or special effects for the intro/outtro or for specific clips. I wish more vids spent time on thinking about that stuff, I think more cool ideas could come from it :)

So commenting purely on use of effects in creation and presentation...

take a look at Falcon by sigma, Ashes to Ashes a roy combo vid (good editing), Convictus a luxembourg collab combo vid, crazy little jungle (tech video), Eggstinction 1 & 2, the AXE effect, Perfect Dark a fox combo vid, Shadow Claw IV (great editing), So much style (mango) by sigma, TAI-tipping an ilusion (great music syncs), The minds of the amazing, Var-ious Aggresion (possibly the best edited melee vid ever) and watch the entire Starchaser series (amazing music, and some of the jankiest combos-ever)

hope this helps
Nice choices, I definitely like a lot of those vids myself, and their solid, typically creative editing too. #Falcon by SigMa I like, and also Ashes to Ashes: A Roy Combo Video by Sethlon. So Much Style by SigMa is on my favorites list, but also probably because it's all clips of Mang0. My suggestion for another vid in this vein would be Rule 6 NorCal Regional by Achilles, with its 90s video tape feel (the editor's first video too). There's a couple more on that list that have more flowing editing that I remember... though I hadn't really heard of Starchaser before, cool. I remember AriqueNuubs having some glow effects, but just more or less flowing... along very similar lines actually, Perfect Dark is definitely a great Fox video, but the effects are minimal I think, and it's also set to Sandstorm too.

As for specifically special effects and creative cuts, the most effects I've seen done well in a video goes to an early Brawl video, Enter The Triforce by Izaw. It's actually a tad effect-heavy, but oh well (plus it's brawl pshhhh). (There was also a Brawl vid before that that was one of the first vids to really implement the 'zoom-in' effect, and there were some other cool effects, and that was done by the editor for DBR, but Izaw's video was longer and done better.)

Technically, the Melee video Armada: The Beast Is Unleashed has the most 'effects' (production) in a smash video ever, but it's nearly half an hour long, and suffers from some major presentation/design flaws, so I don't recommend (for effects' sake - it's fine otherwise).

For Melee, one video that does effects well is -French Fast Fallers- by Chikusho. I recommend.

For isolated effects, one recent video that has a couple tricks is Pandemonium: A mini TAS Montage by Wak, starting around 1:15. Another sweet effect I saw... that actually may have just been a Melee hack, but looked sweet and tastefully done anyway... was turning Falco's up+b blue in Ashes to Ashes.

I guess I can't really get around agreeing with Sixth-Sense, yeah, I think Varia-ous Aggression is probably the best edited melee vid ever, if I do say so myself :)

Slhoka

Smash Lord
For Melee, one video that does effects well is -French Fast Fallers- by Chikusho. I recommend.
I really agree, I love his videos. Even though I think he went a bit too far with effects in this video.

Was that an added effect or part of a hacked Melee Falco texture? Regardless, watching Hacked Melee still makes combo videos more interesting as well.
Yeah, I think that was a texture. But I disagree : usually I prefer combo videos without the textures, even though there are some exceptions like this one in Ashes to Ashes, or Pandemonium.

Surprised no one mentioned Rockcrock the Crusher 2
It kept coming to mind, but I couldn't remember why, heh, I should have looked at my notes again. Yeah, this has good/great? organization of clips, and overall good/solid editing, plus a pretty snazzy intro. Didn't it get like top video of the year when it came out?

Was that an added effect or part of a hacked Melee Falco texture? Regardless, watching Hacked Melee still makes combo videos more interesting as well.
Oh. Apparently. It's just that the rest of his video didn't really have hacked melee clips I thought, ha... and, yeah, hacks like that, kind of looked pretty cool I thought...

Doomolish

Smash Journeyman
Could you link me to the vids you're talking about, oats_?

I'm making the hype vid for the next Mexican National Tournament and I want it as good as possible.

Battlecow

Play to Win
half-hour high-school CS class special effects cluster****

exactly the opposite of what this thread should promote. Allowed some ****head with video editing software to turn one of the greatest comboers in history into a platform to show off his cheesy bargain-bin animation tricks.

Sorry to get all NEGATIVE, and I'm sure reflex is a nice guy

but god damn, bad bad bad video

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
Well, personally I liked it, and thought it was a good video in terms of editing, so I posted it here.

Please note I have no knowledge about video editing, so that may be (one of) the reason(s) why I can't see it's bad...

Also, could you be more precise, as to why this video is an "half-hour high-school CS class special effects cluster****" and a "bad bad bad video" like you say?
Maybe that could help me understand this "art" a bit better.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean where good videos leave the focus on the awesome combos and accentuate with fitting and well-timed music, maybe a couple of tasteful transitions or a short intro, this guy spends half an hour showing us nothing we haven't seen before and throwing out reel after reel of cheesy effects. Like, do I really wanna stare at DVD screen templates for ten minutes before seeing a blow-by-blow of the pound IV sets that I watched years ago?

SpiderMad

Smash Master
With Brawl/P:M using replays there's a plethora of stuff still not utilized of the different Camera angles, maybe in the future it will catch on but with my next video I'm going to try and implement some more ideas with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...=zQfq78B7Edw&feature=player_detailpage#t=310s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ijVSpqyhgQc#t=31s

I also like this video a lot so I'ma post it here, the editing is good as in it's not over-done but he still seems to have the right mind in transitions: but Strric's flowing gameplay makes the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQwhFwVMGOU

EDIT:

Here's some more examples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbnXNJILJvQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjAOkYsFmRI

Top Bottom