• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the basic priorities of a Diddy Kong?

Snover

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm very curious about Diddy Kong competitively in Smash 4 he just seems like a lot of fun to play.
He just seems so fascinating, I mean he was top tier in brawl, and his moveset seems pretty fun. So here's a few questions, and please go 'off script' if you will and just pop out a random tip if you can! Any information you guys can give me would be great!

1: What's the best/easiest way to grab a banana without a large hassle?

2: What are Diddy's approach options?

3: What are Diddy's defense/retreat options?

4: Safest and most efficient use of dair?

5: Best ways to kill?

Thanks to anyone in advance!

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
I'll try to answer those as best as I can:

1. The way I normally do it is pluck the banana then jump towards it and hit the grab button with proper timing. This should result in catching the banana without air dodging. On battlefield, or other stages with platforms i generally pluck the banana and let it fall on a platform, then jump slightly below the platform and press the grab button.

2. Banana throws, dtilts, and side b is generally what I use, along with dash grabs and pivot grabs. I almost never use dash attack as the hits don't connect all the time and has pretty bad end lag. Obviously the normal approach options for all characters apply here too (running up and shielding, etc.)

3. Most of the time retreating isn't in my game plan because i play very aggressively. However, i find side B to be extremely useful, and mixing in reverse popgun cancels can help with landing too

4. Dair isn't the greatest of spike moves in this game, but sometimes can be comboed after a dthrow near the ledge at mid %. Its not something I use at very often though

5. dthrow > uair. enough said

Anyone with more experience than me would be welcome to add/fix anything here. I'm definitely not the greatest diddy in the world, but I hope this helps a bit.

Rambolav

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rambolav
3DS FC
4210-4112-3193
1. Same as phili, although sometimes the easier/lazier thing to do for me is to just turn around and thrown the banana. The latter works better against slow characters.

2. Same as phili, although I also do nairs with short jumps, launching my opponent in the air for quite possibly some comboing. Works well as a mindgame, too. I can keep up better with a shieldrolling character or someone who is eyeing an opportunity to approach me by doing short jumps, waiting for his or her chance. For example, Captain Falcon is a good character to do this against. It helps very much as variation to my approach game.

3. Diddy's recovery may sometimes work (flying fast from one end to the stage to the other), although it could just leave you open for an attack. If your opponent is a slow one, or if you can time the recovery so that it catches your opponent off guard, you could create some space between the two of you.

4. I really don't use dairs at all. I am bad at spiking anyway, but Diddy's dair feels really difficult to time, then again, I am not the greatest player ever. MAYBE sometimes I sneak a dair in just on the ground, trying to combo.

5. Dthrow -> uair is the best one, but at higher percentages fair could work. Bthrow or fthrow at the end of stage will work if your opponent's percentage is very high. Bair of course also is a fairly solid move.

Last edited:
Top Bottom