• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are some ways to train with Villager?

AceStarThe3rd

SmashTuber
NNID
AceStarThe3rd2
I usually have a training regiment for the characters to get my hands warm, but whenever I try to do with with Villager, I usually end up not even training anything.

Anybody have any training mode regiments that you could do to improve your Villager game?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
i useally practice my short hop F-airs but that's just me.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Usually solo training is practicing timing on things, right? Because I don't know much of what you'd practice like that. I suppose if one-chopping is a valid thing you could practice that, but I've never once gotten it to work, so...

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I think it depends on your personal weaknesses. Like, take me for example, I'm terrible at input. I'm bad at timings. So I just sit in training mode and around the stage doing all kinds of craziness making sure that my intentions are being input correctly. Making sure dairs are dairs, not nairs (which happens when I use C stick sometimes for some reason).

You want to find weaknesses in your gameplay and work on them.

If you mean villager specific, I don't know too many ATs at the moment that are moderately easy to pull off and useful. The sliding upsmash comes to mind, but I'm not personally interested in it.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Actually maybe we can list things we personally need to practice.

I personally need to practice running to ledges and dropping bowling balls off without doing other things on accident.

StanTheFan

Smash Rookie
NNID
StanTheFanSSB
Are you talking about warming up for a tourney? If so, I would recommend playing some friendlies. Nothing is better at warming you up than playing against people like you would in tournament. If you're talking about just practicing inputs, then go into training mode and do that. Think about your previous game(s) where you messed up, like maybe you pivot tilted instead of pivot grabbed, and go do some pivot grabs until you feel that you can do it consistently.

Deadzombie

Smash Rookie
try down throws into Fairs and turnips. Chaining with neutrals for more pressure.

dizdo

Smash Rookie
I usually have a training regiment for the characters to get my hands warm, but whenever I try to do with with Villager, I usually end up not even training anything.

Anybody have any training mode regiments that you could do to improve your Villager game?
A pretty good way to train is to go into for glory and try to get a winning streak with your character. I remember a youtuber having a pretty good series doing this with villager. Here is a link.

/watch?v=9oQ_SzZX7uE

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Forgive me; I know the video is two months old, and icI'vee only watched half so far, but I've noticed your tactics with the tree are really straightforward. It seems like if you do use it, you typically water it right away every time. There's a lot of value in mixing up your watering game, as you even mention yourself.

Have you worked on that since the video posted above?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I usually just practice SH slingshots, and FF slingshot, to get it as low to the ground as possible.

Also, practice doing followups with dash attack and aerials, as well as my pivot umbrellas and pivot fsmash.

For advanced techniques, I DID practice a lot of DIRTBUS and the One-Chop, as those take some time to get used to.

I'd recommend practicing teching as well x.x haha

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
What is a dirt bus

Also I don't think I really do any pivot moves in general. Not really sure the application, I suppose. Is it to hit someone who is chasing you?

Also I've never gotten one-chop to work.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
What is a dirt bus

Also I don't think I really do any pivot moves in general. Not really sure the application, I suppose. Is it to hit someone who is chasing you?

Also I've never gotten one-chop to work.

Ignore the title, the actual explanation is that if you do an usmash right between your dash and run transition (Dash Into Run Transition Booster Up-Smash) you will slide forward as you do it, DACUS-style.

And yeah, one-chop is super hard, just keep at it, mate ;D

Last edited:

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936

Ignore the title, the actual explanation is that if you do an usmash right between your dash and run transition (Dash Into Run Transition Booster Up-Smash) you will slide forward as you do it, DACUS-style.

And yeah, one-chop is super hard, just keep at it, mate ;D
Haha, I should probably fix the title in that video. ;v; or perhaps remake it entirely to reflect our findings on the tech.

In regards to Villager training, I feel as if getting your fastfall slingshots down is one of the most vital aspects of your game. Getting the timing for the lowest possible Fairs/Bairs down to muscle memory in training mode is a fantastic way to improve, I personally have been utilizing it more consistently recently and holes in my playstyle are being patched.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Haha, I should probably fix the title in that video. ;v; or perhaps remake it entirely to reflect our findings on the tech.

In regards to Villager training, I feel as if getting your fastfall slingshots down is one of the most vital aspects of your game. Getting the timing for the lowest possible Fairs/Bairs down to muscle memory in training mode is a fantastic way to improve, I personally have been utilizing it more consistently recently and holes in my playstyle are being patched.
Perhaps you should, yes

haha

If you remake it, link me so I can put it up in the Villager AT thread :3

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Perhaps you should, yes

haha

If you remake it, link me so I can put it up in the Villager AT thread :3
Will do! x3

The AT thread really should be stickied, a lot of the techniques are very applicable and should be practiced.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Will do! x3

The AT thread really should be stickied, a lot of the techniques are very applicable and should be practiced.
I tagged Indigo Jeans on the thread once with a request for it to be stickied, but I guess he never saw it XP

I SHOULD update it more often tho xD

Last edited:

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Hey I just watched one of your matches. On spectate mode. Villager v Johnny the Yoshi.

Thought you'd be interested in hearing!

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
I can only get the one-chop to work when I'm not trying to do it. It's great when it happens though, because my opponent will usually think they're safe next to the tree when I haven't chopped it yet. It really catches people off guard when the tree falls on them immediately. I really wish I could get it to work all the time, though since it makes the tree so much more viable of a kill option.

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
I gave you alot of tips on your most recent Villager video (I think?, whichever one had the creepy eyed one) I can't remember them all though. It was a large paragraph, but you should recognize my picture and know it's me.

<---------

Top Bottom