• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are some Positive things to say about little mac?

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering because i dont see to many little mac's often but when i do i either kick there A$$ or they kick my A$$. Now before u say he is not that bad lemme just say that ik that he got NERFED to SHREADS, His down tilt to Up B does is not a kill confirm anymore unless ur opponent were to DI into it. The Speed of Little mac is not so fast anymore as he was back in smash 4. Sure his KO punch can kill at 55% or more but honestly it takes like 2 jabs for his KO punch to were off. His Aerials are Absolutely Hourendous never ever starting up combos his smash attacks barely have any super armor like they did in smash 4. His recovery is still A$$, So i came here to find out what some up-sides about Mac are.

In my Opinion he is a very easy Low tier.I cannot find any top little mac's so his potential is mostly unknown but maybe one day he can have some potential.Back in smash 4 i thought little mac was Trash but when i saw Sol and pu55yk1ng play little mac safely and aggresively i realized that he is not that bad.But for smash ultimate i have only seen Sol play tbh he seems good but i dont think he can really bring little mac to a mid tier or top tier level.Little mac lost all of his charm that he had back in smash 4 :ultlittlemac:.

Attachments

Last edited:

MangoPeachey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1868-5016-7402
I mean I guess his smash attacks are pretty crazy. Down smash can 2 frame and he can use his super armor moves to cover getup attack and neutral getup. But why would anyone ever play near the ledge as little mac lol

Last edited:

tronixton

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
5867-4401-4506
Its not all negatives. Some good changes for the game are that neutral B can be released either direction, giving it good option coverage. Loss of the all powerful down tilt is lamented, but up tilt and f tilt are good and fairly safe attacking options. His heavy armor actually got slightly better and not worse, and most importantly he now has the quasi-reliable recovery of side b and then up b. So yes, he has lost some of his ground dominance tools, but he still has plenty of options to work with.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
His KO punch is harder to avoid than it seems and having it pressures the opponent which could cause them to be create bad habits that you can exploit. Also, strong smash attacks with super armor are always a plus.

Qualudes

Smash Cadet
I have recently been trying to break into Elite with Mac just for fun and I actually dig him. I am a Wolf main (honestly, who isn't at this point :p) and playing Wolf compared to Mac is actually kind of refreshing. Wolf feels cheap, easy, and winning with Wolf feels free whereas Mac makes you feel amazing with every win.
He has a few glaring weaknesses but those can be lessened with smart play. The upside is that he puts pressure on opponents just by being near them, up-smash and up-B are amazing out of shield options, and his pivot-cancelled f-tilt covers an insane amount of ground. Most people are conditioned to roll against Mac by default throughout a fight, and landing his more consistent KO punch on a read is about a 50-50 shot. The most important thing I have learned while trying to get Mac to Elite is to utilize Up-B as an anti-air after an enemy air dodges. It's the only move that can establish any kind of threat in that arena and should be used frequently, assuming you're good enough to hit it.

Qualudes

Smash Cadet
That's actually a strength of Mac that I haven't utilized too much. He does get a little bit of mileage off of dthrow so I may have to try using that tech more with him.

Gamer Cube

Smash Apprentice
I would say that Little Mac's smash attacks are super strong, and come out very fast, they also have crazy priority and go through peoples attacks. His side special hits hard and puts you right next to them for a smash attack. His KO punch is basically an FS meter, which is great when your friend has all final smashes off. If you stand still until they move, you can surprise them with his dash speed or counter a projectile. You can shield out of his neutral b, which most people don't know, so you can catch them off guard. Overall, he is a fast and hard hitter, but kind of a glass cannon.

And I guess people don't recognize that his down air is a meteor smash.

Last edited:

Gamer Cube

Smash Apprentice
I have recently been trying to break into Elite with Mac just for fun and I actually dig him. I am a Wolf main (honestly, who isn't at this point :p) and playing Wolf compared to Mac is actually kind of refreshing. Wolf feels cheap, easy, and winning with Wolf feels free whereas Mac makes you feel amazing with every win.
He has a few glaring weaknesses but those can be lessened with smart play. The upside is that he puts pressure on opponents just by being near them, up-smash and up-B are amazing out of shield options, and his pivot-cancelled f-tilt covers an insane amount of ground. Most people are conditioned to roll against Mac by default throughout a fight, and landing his more consistent KO punch on a read is about a 50-50 shot. The most important thing I have learned while trying to get Mac to Elite is to utilize Up-B as an anti-air after an enemy air dodges. It's the only move that can establish any kind of threat in that arena and should be used frequently, assuming you're good enough to hit it.
I agree about the up-b as an anti-air. On basically my first game as Little Mac, I juggle 2 of my friends out of 2 stocks each on Shadow Moses.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
He has the best ground movement in the game.
He has one of the best OoS options in the game in the form of his Up-B
He has a counter
His Aireals are so bad that they can jablock at high percents. Thats a definitive positive.
His Neutral B (the strait lunge) is reversable on startup, and if they miss a tech, and if you time it just right you can get a guarenteed straight lunge on them, by fair/bair -> (missed tech) neutral-b
He can chain up-tilts into an up-B
also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSea7nIOvIw

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
all of his ground moves can pretty much cancel out any other ground move
his roll is the fastest in the game
He has such bad airspeed that he can live longer because of it. That is also a positive.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I love Mac's ground game. He has decent frame data, fast and strong moves with very good movement. This what makes him fun to play as. He is not going to win major tournaments because of his polarizing weakness that can be easily exploited but he is great for casual and friendly competitive matches.

Gamer Cube

Smash Apprentice
He has the best ground movement in the game.
He has one of the best OoS options in the game in the form of his Up-B
He has a counter
His Aireals are so bad that they can jablock at high percents. Thats a definitive positive.
His Neutral B (the strait lunge) is reversable on startup, and if they miss a tech, and if you time it just right you can get a guarenteed straight lunge on them, by fair/bair -> (missed tech) neutral-b
He can chain up-tilts into an up-B
also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSea7nIOvIw
Btw, you can b-reverse his neutral b if you press the opposite direction and b when you want to start the lunge.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
You don't even have to b-reverse it, you cn just hold the direction while its charging

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
Like while its chargeing the last direction inputed when its launched is the direction, so you can change your mind in the middle of it. That is why its so good for missed tech punishes: You can hit netural getup armor getup attack, hit roll away, and if they roll behind you, just turn it around.

Last edited:

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
My favorite part about mac is that because he is so bad you have to think outside the box to survive, with heavy predictions no other character would go for. Getting reads with mac is SO satisfying.

Gamer Cube

Smash Apprentice
Like while its chargeing the last direction inputed when its launched is the direction, so you can change your mind in the middle of it. That is why its so good for missed tech punishes: You can hit netural getup armor getup attack, hit roll away, and if they roll behind you, just turn it around.
btw, if you do mess it up, you can now shield and roll to a smash attack. It catches everyone off guard because they're not used to that possibility.

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice
It's still insanely good for combo starters because it takes them off the ground and it combos into up-b pretty well.
It used to but not anymore down tilt is useless it used to be a godsend in sm4sh from down tilt to fsmash,ko punch and up b now its terrible

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
A). Dtilt smash still works at 0
B). Dtilt KO punch works until 30~40
C). Chaining Uptilts into UpB works
D). KO punch is pretty much the same, you just can't gazelle punch anymore. Up-B kills a bit later than in 4 but you can do so much damage with he new u-tilt so it doesn't make a difference. Up-B and KO punch doesn't suck at all.

Last edited:

Gamer Cube

Smash Apprentice
A). Dtilt smash still works at 0
B). Dtilt KO punch works until 30~40
C). Chaining Uptilts into UpB works
D). KO punch is pretty much the same, you just can't gazelle punch anymore. Up-B kills a bit later than in 4 but you can do so much damage with he new u-tilt so it doesn't make a difference. Up-B and KO punch doesn't suck at all.
I have seen you in other threads about Little Mac, and I haven't played much Sm4sh because my parents were kind of stingy on electronics when the WiiU came out, so could you explain what a gazelle punch is? I'm inferring it's a combo that you said could be performed on Yoshi's Island. So how exactly does it work? I usually only check my feed at school so I can't watch youtube.

Also, I don't see why you have to set up smash attacks. Just use tilts until you see if they shield, spot dodge, or roll primarily, then plan accordingly. For example, my friend is heavy on rolling, so if I am going for a hard read, I'll F-smash behind me, or I'll down smash. If I am looking for some damage, I'll dash attack, because the knockback is broken on that. Then I'll try to 2-frame Down Smash or juggle with U-tilt and Up-b. Btw, I didn't know this, but you can just jablock into KO punch.

Sorry this response is pretty long, I haven't been on in a while and I just talked with a person who has insane Little Mac game.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
Its a tech that only worked in smash 4 and yoshi's story brawl because of KO punch rework.
Basically you can cancel ledge jump with a grounded KO punch. In smash ultimate on all other legal stages you always do an aerial KO punch because of the timing of the ground detection being changed and the fact that he leaps up now when he does it.
In Yoshi's story brawl, his feel will barely clip into the slope when you press ledge jump neutral b, resulting in a grounded KO punch, with the armor and ignoring shields and everything. It gives you a potential kill as a ledge option.

Gamer Cube

Smash Apprentice
Its a tech that only worked in smash 4 and yoshi's story brawl because of KO punch rework.
Basically you can cancel ledge jump with a grounded KO punch. In smash ultimate on all other legal stages you always do an aerial KO punch because of the timing of the ground detection being changed and the fact that he leaps up now when he does it.
In Yoshi's story brawl, his feel will barely clip into the slope when you press ledge jump neutral b, resulting in a grounded KO punch, with the armor and ignoring shields and everything. It gives you a potential kill as a ledge option.
Thanks, I might use that. My friend is merciless once he gets me to the ledge. I might be able to use this.

Top Bottom