• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are some good anti-rushdown characters?

RtMbot

Smash Rookie
NNID
RtMbot
Preferably ones that aren't rushdown characters themselves. I understand what I am asking for here; I know that a lot of people really love the rushdown playstyle, but I don't; it's one of the reasons why I couldn't get into melee, despite its speed being the reason people loved it so much. I've seen people claim that smash should be as fast as possible, and others who just have a mantra against any sort of defensive play, but I'm fine with playing a little slower, and the reason why I ask this is so I can have a character to pick whenever I know that I'm about to face someone who plays like this.

I'm not a particularly good player, but rushdown characters are definitely the ones that give me the most trouble, and I'd like to have an answer to them. I've been thinking :4dedede: might be a good option, though I'm not entirely sure, and I'd like some input from you guys.

Morbi

Scavenger
I suppose the answer depends on what you are looking for; zoners are typically associated as "anti-rushdown" characters as their intended purpose is to lock down a characters approach options. However, if you are looking for a character that is simply good for dealing with rushdown characters, I have heard great things about Falco and I am currently practicing him myself. His lasers are great to "force" an approach to have an opportunity to read a mistake or get free damage. He can escape a rushdown character with short-hop side-b with very little landing lag. I do not use his down-special for much other than free percent, but I believe it trips. His d-tilt is extremely fast, a great OoS option and sometimes a KO move. If not, you can follow up with an aerial such as u-air to juggle, b-air to finish, or n-air to add some percent. The reach on his jab is apparently phenomenal (I do not use it myself, instead I space with f-tilt). Rushdown characters are typically more gimpable and Falco is great at that, an offstage f-air or phantasm will do wonders! Overall, Falco was presented to me as a character that does not zone or rushdown, but he still wants close-quarters-combat and he can make it happen. He has great normals and specials that help deal with those characters. Just a suggestion, of course.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Really anyone with projectiles or disjoints.

Also, light characters are harder to combo in general.

Spirst

Try :4duckhunt:, :4villager:, :4jigglypuff:, or :4link:.
Wouldn't be too sure about DH as an anti-rushdown character. In fact, his unfavorable matchups are characters like Greninja, Sheik, Yoshi, and Sonic. Not unwinnable by any means, but definitely more tedious. His neturals aren't that quick (though the disjoint helps), and his projectile game is a bit slow (though quick gunmen custom is good). Additionally, he doesn't have much in the way of "get off of me" quick moves to reset to neutral in the case where he's getting overwhelmingly pressured. If the can was similar to Snake's grenade in speed and utility, it would be a different story. He can take stage control, but I feel like dealing with rushdown characters isn't his forte since he can take a while to get into momentum. Just my impressions since I use him all the time.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Can Ganondorf perhaps stop rushdown? He wants the foe to approach and lacks good ways to force them to due to the complete lack of projectiles in his moveset, so if a foe already wants to approach by default, perhaps he'd be in his element?

Keep in mind I don't yet have the most experience with Smash 4 and my playstyle so far seems to be geared towards offence. (I play primarily the Mii Brawler and Sonic, so….)

shapular

Smash Ace
If the can was similar to Snake's grenade in speed and utility
Oh gosh please no. I hated fighting Snakes and that was one of the worst things about it.

Can Ganondorf perhaps stop rushdown? He wants the foe to approach and lacks good ways to force them to due to the complete lack of projectiles in his moveset, so if a foe already wants to approach by default, perhaps he'd be in his element?

Keep in mind I don't yet have the most experience with Smash 4 and my playstyle so far seems to be geared towards offence. (I play primarily the Mii Brawler and Sonic, so….)
Probably not. He's slow and doesn't have good OoS options. Maybe up B? Idk though.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Oh gosh please no. I hated fighting Snakes and that was one of the worst things about it.

Probably not. He's slow and doesn't have good OoS options. Maybe up B? Idk though.
Eh, that's certainly true enough. At the same time though, DTilt, FTilt, and Jab are all surprisingly fast and have a fair amount of range, and the super armour on Warlock Punch is hilarious on those very rare occasions that it actually works.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
villager is EXTREMELY good at projectile pressure and stopping rushdown. timber and rocket are godly for defense. duckhunt is also pretty good at it.

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
:4robinm:/:4robinf:

A Arcthunder makes a great punisher, Arcfire helps to blocks sudden approaches and disable incoming projectiles. Makes a great edge guard too.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
:4robinm:/:4robinf:

A Arcthunder makes a great punisher, Arcfire helps to blocks sudden approaches and disable incoming projectiles. Makes a great edge guard too.
honestly robin isnt that great at countering rushdown. he's too slow and his grabgame is horrible.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Pacman.
Trampoline is straight up stage control that limits approach options and challenges spacing.
The problem?
A lot of your "top" rush-down characters have a projectile. Mutual projectiles leads to compromise and his stage control works both ways.

This is where Rosalina and Villager come in because they're anti projectile on two fronts (luma/tree, pocket/gravitational pull).

If im not mistaken Kirby has a decent albeit not advantageous MU vs the majority of the archetype.
Given their typically reduced KO options, Kirby has to worry about his weight less and their general trend of approaching, makes up for his lack of approach and his fast frame data allowing counter action.
The problem? No real projectile and getting one (inhale) is impractical.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Pacman is a good suggestion. Villager is a good suggestion too.

I'd also suggest Wario for sure.

:059:

RtMbot

Smash Rookie
NNID
RtMbot
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be sure to try some of these out.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I'm not good with Villager, but based off the amazing players I've seen, he is the best. The only thing disqualifying him from being rushdown himself is the slow grab.

I've had a lot of success with Mega Man, but it feels more like he keeps up rather than flat out beats rushdown.

Top Bottom