• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are Palutena's Best Tools?

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to pick a final character that fills in the weaknesses of my co-mains (R.O.B. and DK), and Palutena looks quite interesting. I've looked at everything I can find on the character, but because she's not very popular there isn't a ton of information on her right now. I'm just wondering if I'm missing any fundamental keys to using her, and if any Palutena mains can point me in the right direction. These are what I've gathered so far:

Jab: leads into grab or fair.

Nair: Good at catching aerial opponents, and can be followed up. DI'ing while using the move determines where your opponent gets sent.

Bair: Challenges any aerial your opponent throws.

Uair: Good kill move with high priority.

Fair: Good approach and spacing tool.

Utilt: Her only grounded option to deal with approaches from above.

Down Throw: Her key setup option. Neutral DI combos into uair and nair, forward DI combos into fair.

Up B: Can be ledge canceled for unexpected approaches.

These are what I understand to be her fundamental tools, is there anything else I'm missing that would leave a big hole in my Palutena game?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
In addition:

Jab-> dash attack true combo kill confirm

Not true combos but often reliable: jab -> jab, jab -> smash, jab (close up) -> utilt, the latter 2 of which kill
Note: at higher percents like roughly 100%, jab jab is a true combo

Fair can now kill better than before after the 1% damage buff, if you can chain 2 fairs starting from the ledge they are dead at about 100%

downthrow forward DI combos into back air too

But mostly in neutral: SH fairs, SH bairs, jabs, empty hops (into jab or grab), rar bairs, pivot grabs, dtilt (almost forgot about the buffed dtilt!)
The above are roughly in order of most use to most situational use
To stop their short shopping: rar bair and dash attack
To stop their dash approach: dash grab and dash attack
To stop rolling: SH fairs (to adjust spacing to keep stage center) and pivot grabs (so you can dthrow fair and keep center)
To cover spotdodges: jab
To punish whiffed/unsafe defensive moves in neutral: dash attack (invincible from frame 4, attack comes out on frame 6 USE THIS A LOT!)

OOS option: SH dair, can combo into fair/bair/upsmash etc.

Last edited:

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to pick a final character that fills in the weaknesses of my co-mains (R.O.B. and DK), and Palutena looks quite interesting. I've looked at everything I can find on the character, but because she's not very popular there isn't a ton of information on her right now. I'm just wondering if I'm missing any fundamental keys to using her, and if any Palutena mains can point me in the right direction. These are what I've gathered so far:

Jab: leads into grab or fair.

Nair: Good at catching aerial opponents, and can be followed up. DI'ing while using the move determines where your opponent gets sent.

Bair: Challenges any aerial your opponent throws.

Uair: Good kill move with high priority.

Fair: Good approach and spacing tool.

Utilt: Her only grounded option to deal with approaches from above.

Down Throw: Her key setup option. Neutral DI combos into uair and nair, forward DI combos into fair.

Up B: Can be ledge canceled for unexpected approaches.

These are what I understand to be her fundamental tools, is there anything else I'm missing that would leave a big hole in my Palutena game?
I think you already suggested it, but at low to mid percents d-throw can lead into n-air, which leads into another n-air, u-air, or f-air depending on size of enemy and DI

LyonelNoale

Smash Cadet
Side taunt after every kill.

Just kidding (actually I'm not, Side Taunt is genuinely the best thing ever, but you should use it in moderation...!).

Don't forget the presence of a reflect and a counter! Counter is especially useful for shifting the balance of the game in your favour, if used correctly. It can make your opponents think twice about attacking... just make sure to use it in moderation.

XbusterKosmos

Keyblade Master
also don't get punched when play against a little mac, if you do you will go flying.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
In addition:

Jab-> dash attack true combo kill confirm

Not true combos but often reliable: jab -> jab, jab -> smash, jab (close up) -> utilt, the latter 2 of which kill
Note: at higher percents like roughly 100%, jab jab is a true combo

Fair can now kill better than before after the 1% damage buff, if you can chain 2 fairs starting from the ledge they are dead at about 100%

downthrow forward DI combos into back air too

But mostly in neutral: SH fairs, SH bairs, jabs, empty hops (into jab or grab), rar bairs, pivot grabs, dtilt (almost forgot about the buffed dtilt!)
The above are roughly in order of most use to most situational use
To stop their short shopping: rar bair and dash attack
To stop their dash approach: dash grab and dash attack
To stop rolling: SH fairs (to adjust spacing to keep stage center) and pivot grabs (so you can dthrow fair and keep center)
To cover spotdodges: jab
To punish whiffed/unsafe defensive moves in neutral: dash attack (invincible from frame 4, attack comes out on frame 6 USE THIS A LOT!)

OOS option: SH dair, can combo into fair/bair/upsmash etc.
This is textbook material. Thanks for posting this. You have no idea how much this is going to help me, lol.

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
One thing you want to try is lots of movement; empty jumps work pretty well. Palutena should never be stationary.

No need to get greedy about your attacks since Lady P's such a defensive character. Make sure you pummel during grabs after around 50%; above 100% you should be able to get away with three most of the time.

Try walking and f-tilting; it works more than you'd think.

If they're in your face, her reflect barrier is a decent panic move, but don't use it too often or your opponent will try to bait it out of you.

Use the dash attack's invincibility to follow up, punish or hit your opponents before they land. If you're rushing down for any reason it should probably be to use a f-air or grab.

First jab connects into more first jabs, all tilts, grabs, reflects and f-air and d-air reliably.

She has a good aerial game! N-air is all around good to use for anti-air, as is f-air. Don't neglect the partial invincibility on her b-air, and try midair reflecting (I do!)!

Save your smashes for obvious reads and 100%~ damage play; u-smash is the safest to use though anytime. From my experience, d-throw to u-air with all hits connecting takes out everyone above 120% (personally, except Dedede...).

Try edgeguarding with b-air.

You don't want to spam ANYTHING, as she can be punished easily due to some endlag (hence the empty jumps). As you get better you'll learn when to feint your attacks.

Most of all have patience! When learning her, you WILL lose with Palutena, and OFTEN; the payoff you get from mastery is more than rewarding. You won't feel like you did much but then you'll be surprised by the replays.

Hope that helped! :)
Slightly modified from my original post. I think everything still holds true now, but you should also work on pivot grabbing instead of rolling most of the time because of her reach.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
some Tools/Uses that havent been mentioned:

U-Tilt: can hit opponents on either side of you (they have to be REALLY close behind you, but there's some leeway in front of you)

D-Tilt: can supposedly hit opponents on the ledge after their invincibility is over (I haven't done this yet, but I'm pretty sure it works!)

D-Air: is good for hitting people on-stage. It'll send them up and behind you, which is perfect positioning for a B-air at certain percents. The move actually comes out fairly quick I think

F-Throw/B-throw: gets the opponent off the stage so you can edgeguard them. B-throw kills at the ledge and F-throw can be followed by Auto Reticle which will make them waste their jump if they use it.

Reflect: Someone in another topic mentioned that you can use this on shielded people on platforms above you. Haven't gotten to try this yet since the situation hasnt come up, but it seems like a good idea!

Ledge-cancelled Warp: to steal the ledge from someone unexpectantly! Maybe they'll be caught off guard and you can finish them with a B or U-air

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
If Dtilt hits on the ledge it must have been patched to do so, because I recall testing it before and finding that the only thing grounded that hits on the ledge is a well placed Usmash. Unless I erred in my testing.

Top Bottom