• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are my best options when a small character is directly under me?

AaronSMASH

Smash Apprentice
I decided to mess around on for glory which I rarely do and I don't take seriously because of the noticeable input lag but I ran into a Lucas that I just couldn't touch.

He would wait until I threw something out and get right under me and start a combo like u tilt -> Nair and destroy me from there. I couldn't hit him with any tilts. Smashes took to long. Idk.

Have you dealt with this before? What's are the best options?

Also, do some people get very little input lag on FG? Because if he was getting the same input lag as I was then his/her reaction time was super human.

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
Speaking from experience? Praying works.

Technically I believe U-Air should work well, also bombs normally force shield ups or get them to move.

AaronSMASH

Smash Apprentice
Speaking from experience? Praying works.

Technically I believe U-Air should work well, also bombs normally force shield ups or get them to move.
Praying? I'm assuming you're being funny and that isn't lingo for some tech I've never heard of LOL.

I tried SHAD uair and SH FF uair. Neither really did anything. Got popped by his up tilt all the same.

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
Small characters are a real pain to fight against, even in decent lag conditions. Take advantage of your floatyness and use morphbombs to fake them out and trick them into thinking you're going to land somewhere you're not. Alternatively, try and land on the edge, you'll have a much easier time getting back onstage from there. FFupair has a hitbox thats pretty low on her character and can catch them off guard as a mixup if you throw it out every once in a while.

AaronSMASH

Smash Apprentice
Small characters are a real pain to fight against, even in decent lag conditions. Take advantage of your floatyness and use morphbombs to fake them out and trick them into thinking you're going to land somewhere you're not. Alternatively, try and land on the edge, you'll have a much easier time getting back onstage from there. FFupair has a hitbox thats pretty low on her character and can catch them off guard as a mixup if you throw it out every once in a while.
Jeez. So no easy solution I'm missing? Oh wow as I was typing that I realized I could have up b out of shield. Deeerrrrrppppp.

Still, small characters seem like a real pain.

Last edited:

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
up-b OoS iis great if you're on a platform above them, yeah. Unless they're using disjointed aerials you'll probably be able to drag them into the attack. I was assuming you were talking about returning to the stage from the air, though!

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
In general in smash 4 being above someone, anyone, is a bad idea. The movesets are all geared towards advantage for the person underneath. There are piles and piles of invincible and disjointed up-smashes, up-airs. You simply don't want to be there, if you end up in that situation, before it gets to the critical attack distance, you really want to drop a bomb or jump + AD out towards safety. FF d-air and up-air as a mixup, but only as mixup.
Angling tilts and smashes is indeed a pain, you do get better at it over time.

Last edited:

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
avoid being above them. This goes for all characters. There is no magic trick for getting out of a bad position. Try to minimize th damage with Uair, Dair, bombs, AD, or possibly screw attack depending on map.

Top Bottom