• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are Ike's greatest weaknesses?

Spring-Loaded

Smash Rookie
I have a lot of respect for Ike as a character and I'd like to know not where his greatest strengths lie, but where his shortcomings are.

I know that projectile wise, he is lacking, but where else? What characters should he be careful going against?

If anyone has any input, it will be greatly appreciated.

Betaz

Smash Ace
He's Slow, He has pretty much no combo ability his recoveries are gimped easily if your playing against some players(mainly pit, & mario(his cape)) like you said he is lacking on projectiles, because he is slow his moves can be seen a mile away(unless you mindgame) .....those are the ones I can think of right now right off the top of my head...

Ornj

Smash Journeyman
he has some combo ability, and slow isnt that bad of a thing in brawl. his ariel game is good and you just have to have good prediction, and spacing

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
weaknesses are just his laggy moves, and hes speed. other then that hes sexy. and his recovery isnt that gimpable like the other kid said. its very good actually.

Betaz

Smash Ace
>.> I said Pit and Mario can(learn to read) also if you jump in front of him over the edge when he is doing </> b he'll hit you...but then he'll die

Dysan

Smash Rookie
His moves telegraph the crap out of themselves. A player can almost completely shut down Ike with careful shielding and, to an even greater extent, power shielding. Ike's recovery is decent, but pretty beatable. Pretty much every other character can beat his forward+B as a recover by either hitting him further out baiting its early use, rendering Ike useless. Up+B is pretty good, most of the time, but like his other moves it can be severely punished if seen coming.

DuB 22

Smash Cadet
Best Punisher In The Game. Easiest To Be Punished In The Game.

We need more positive Ike talk.

By the way, slow rollers, like Samus for instance, get absolutely mauled by Ike if your timing is good.

Eddy01741

Smash Cadet
Mostly the lack of projectile, and the significant post and pre lag on some moves. Other htan that he's fine. His recovery isn't that bad (quick draw is a good horizontal recovery EXCEPT it can be gimped, Aether has pretty good vertical range (actually really good) and can sorta stop some edge guarding). His speed is decent compared to say... DK or Bowser. He is arguably the most powerful character in the game, he also has one of the longest melee ranges in the game. Also, his aerials are all very good (fair and nair have huge range, bair is quick and has good KB and damage, uair is powerful and somewhat quick, dair can meteor smash).

ifthisisitsobeit

Smash Cadet
^haha I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit.

I would have to concur with what Dysan said. Powershielding will frustrate an Ike player to no end. Even if you alter your approach, if the opposing player does nothing but play evasive and powershield, it can be so ******* annoying. My advice on this is feint, delay your attacks slightly, and grab like a **** mad man. I know, not the best advice, but I trie, lazily.

I Like Ike!

Smash Rookie
Ike is extremely susceptible to missile attacks due to his lack of range and limited ability to approach. There are a few good techniques to hone in on someone blasting you away, but they can be pretty much reversed if properly shielded or dodged, resulting in a good 30% damage to you as a penalty for getting close.

Another thing is the slowness of his moves; although he hits like a tank, timing is everything. There is not a whole loot of room for error for misses and you will take damage as a result of this. Repeat the above with multiple mistakes and you are now sitting at close to 100% with only a few swipes in on your opponent.

The plus side to all of this is that it does not take much to KO someone-Ike is extremely strong in knocking middle-weights around and dictating the game, and with the heavier characters he usually outranges them easily. The problem is not letting the quick guys in and screwing you up.

nivlek

Smash Rookie
he's slow so against marth and sonic it is just a mess
and with characters that has main strategies as staying away and rocketing you like snake, you will die easily

Othersyde

Smash Rookie
Projectiles wreck his game. The majority of his moves are slow to come out and have lots of lag afterwards. His grab range is small.

Yet despite these glaring disadvantage he's still a very fun and powerful character that can definitely hold his own.

Zero%

Smash Cadet
Well im an ike user, the hardest foes i have are lucas and olimar...

mightybearseven

Smash Rookie
As Ness or Lucas, I can easily steal Ike's FS kills by placing a PK Thunder in the air above the fray as Ike is about to send others flying. They fly through the thunder and you get the kill. I'm sure other characters have similar strategies.

JusticeWillPrevail

Smash Cadet
As much as people think so, speedy characters don't really give Ike that big of trouble. One thing royally screws Ike and those are projectiles, projectiles, and more projectiles.

Top Bottom