• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What archetype is your main?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Self explanatory

Is your main a rushdown, a grappler, a heavy, a zoner, a bait and punish character, etc...

:ultness: - Contrary to popular believe I would classify Ness mostly as an aggressive rushdown character. He’s definitely not a zoner as both his projectiles are just punish moves. He can play defensive but it’s not his optimal play style and he has a lot more offensive options and he’s lacking in defensive options (even his defensive options such as PSI Magnet are used offensively and in comboing).

If he tries to play defensive for too long he’ll inevitably get broken through or outzoned (there are rare exceptions). But his main play style is to dash and short hop around throwing out moves and baiting your opponent and then landing an aerial, a grab, or PK Fire and then press advantage with combos and strong moves as hard as possible and then get out before he overextends (he has a bad disadvantage like most offensive characters)

Best case scenario you get them offstage or above you for a big PK Thunder juggle. He’s always tacking on damage. I guess I would call him somewhat of an aggressive grappler too because his grabs are important but he really relies on his aerials and PKT more. He’s a pretty unique character and I don’t think anyone plays quite like him. Watch Awestin if you wanna see a good example of a rushdown Ness

So what style is your main?

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus:
I'd say Samus is a zoner. Her reliable tools are jab 1, f-tilt, d-tilt, u-air, n-air, f-air, b-air, and z-air. She has projectiles, which allows her to deal with opponents at a distance, forcing them to approach her, which can be paradoxical. Samus is a character who doesn't seem to perform too well close up, but prefers to have her opponent chase her. An opponent who chases doesn't focus much on spacing or zoning, since he or she feels compelled to get as close to Samus as possible. Nevertheless, should Samus get close to her opponent, she's going to settle for options that are quick and grant enough range to hit her opponent while maintaining some distance from her opponent.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I guess a mix of rushdown and bait/punish. I like to go with "all around" personally.

D

Deleted member

My two most played:
:ultchrom:: rushdown with a hint of spacing
:ultshulk:: literally all of them at any given time

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
My main is a sword fighter. She's the most well-rounded sword fighter in fact. Lucina can rushdown if she needs to, she can play the slow game, she can play the air game, she can edge guard, she can even go blow-for-blow with most characters. She's well above average at everything but with the drawback of not being the best at anything.

My other main is Palutena. I want to say she's a "hit and run" character, but it's kind of the inverse. She plays more "run and hit". Perhaps "evade and punish" is the right wording. Dash and teleport away, bait your opponent, and then punish. Projectiles can be used both defensively or offensively, with Explosive Flame killing earlier than a lot of people expect. Down special is the best counter in the game, and reflecting a fully charged shot from Samus, Mewtwo, or Lucario to take a stock (preferably the final stock) is so, soooooo satisfying. She really excels when she can get opponents in the air. Up tilt and neutral air win against most incoming aerials, up air is a great juggling tool, and up smash, while difficult to land, is one of the best kill moves around.

On a side note: Palutena might overtake Lucina as my lead main. I picked her up as a secondary just a few days ago (previously only used her in very casual FFA matches), and upgraded her to a co-main b/c I'm already about the same level with her as I am with Lucina despite putting in less than 1/10th of the play time.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I like fast characters that rush in to attack at close range.

Little Mac, Mii Brawler, Captain Falcon, the various Marths, etc.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I like zoners and accordingly feel very exposed when playing a character with no projectiles

I also like characters with good recoveries - which I take for granted and end up getting a rude awakening when I decide to play a character without one

Idiocy_Headquarters

Smash Rookie
Zoners and trappers are my greater preference. I'm no spammer, but projectiles are needed to give the opponent fear and get them into the air. Having the opponent run all over the place messes up mind-games for both players, though.

.A.C.3.

Smash Rookie
Warning: I don't really have a main and I like to be versatile, so there will be a lot of characters.
Anyways,
1) :ultrob:- Mix of zoner and a rushdown, occasionally uses projectiles with very useful, up close Aerials.
2) :ultfalco:/:ultfox:- I put these here together because in my opinion they have similar playstyles with a major speed difference. Falco is definitely a rushdown and gets real close with long bread-and-butter combos. Fox, on the other hand has more of a 75% rushdown and 25% bait and punish due to his speed in which one good read and you're most likely dead.
3):ultrobin:- Mostly all, due to the Levin Sword being a rushdown, Thunder being a sort of camping aspect, Arcfire being a bait and punish (It's basically Simon's Holy Water and Ness' PK Fire), etc.
4):ultpichu:- Obviously the best character in the game and a rushdown/bait and punish kind of character.
5) :ultroy:- Rushdown and bait and punish kind of character (Can you see a pattern yet?).

That's all I want to put down but I also play these characters:
:ultlucario::ultcloud::ultfalcon::ultmewtwo::ultike::ultganondorf::ultduckhunt:
ok that's all sorry you had to read this much

Top Bottom