• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What about character-specific shields?

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I've tought about this before and it would be really cool. What if characters had their own shield with different properties?

Peach could use Perry as a shield. She can move while shielding but Perry only covers her front.

Yoshi could have his egg shield like the previous games.

Mii would have the standard shield because he's designed to be the most basic character.

And of course, if someone did not like this, it could be turned off in the rules so every character has a common shield.

What you think about this? Let's discuss!

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Honestly I don't think that they should function differently. Unique aesthetics like Yoshi's egg is fine, but not everyone has a similar ability. I think that the color-coded bubbles serve their purpose well enough and anything more than that is just fluff to take away attention from other, more important gameplay elements.

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
Character specific shields should be done like how Playstation Allstars did it, like Radec from Killzone bringing up a concrete barrier. Just make them cosmetic changes rather than giving their shields properties. There also might be characters with better shields than others and ones with overall terrible shields, as with Yoshi having his shield protect his entire body at the expense of having limited OoS options.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Just cosmetic. For instance:

-Link using Naryu's Love (even though it's used by Zelda) would be awesome.
-Porky uses the Absolutely Safe Capsule (or some form of it)
-Mega Man uses Skull Barrier or Jewel Satellite.
-Sonic uses that one shield power-up (can't think of the name of it)
-Snake's is box-shaped.

D

Deleted member

I would like seeing character specific shields, but I honestly think that they will only do this for Yoshi and Yoshi only.

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
I'd be fine with them as long as the differences were purely cosmetic. Coverage and frame data should be the same as normal shields; otherwise we have more Yoshis.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Cosmetic only. I don't want a low tier character getting screwed even harder for having no defense whatsoever.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I would like seeing character specific shields, but I honestly think that they will only do this for Yoshi and Yoshi only.
He was an ecception because they recicled the egg from one of his moves.
Speaking of Yoshi. I hope this time his eggs and his egg transformation will match his alt colours.

Top Bottom