• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What about bug fixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Horatio

Smash Apprentice
With the PMDT officially disbanded and many people saying that 3.6 should be the final version available, does this mean we're stuck with bugs forever? Given the nature of PM, there are some minor bugs, more so than a game like Melee, so do we live with them forever in order to stick with 3.6 as the final product.​

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
When something's broke, you fix it. When your fixing mechanism is broke, you get other modders to replace them and continue fixing bugs. Bug fixes were happening day one after this began. I expect a breathtaking new pace of PM development to commence. It's a bold new world for PM modding, whether stubborn people like it or not. Try and stop it.

fsck!

Smash Cadet
When something's broke, you fix it. When your fixing mechanism is broke, you get other modders to replace them and continue fixing bugs. Bug fixes were happening day one after this began. I expect a breathtaking new pace of PM development to commence. It's a bold new world for PM modding, whether stubborn people like it or not. Try and stop it.
I have a feeling that all that's going to do is

A) Get OPMDT in legal trouble

B) Fragment the PM community.

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, well.. If Nintendo tried to sue PM devs then all they'd have to do is mention MUGEN and the whole world collapses unto itself before the PM devs would ever end up getting sued.

fsck!

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, well.. If Nintendo tried to sue PM devs then all they'd have to do is mention MUGEN and the whole world collapses unto itself before the PM devs would ever end up getting sued.
Just speculation here. If Nintendo knew about PM this whole time, but didn't say anything, and now a new company comes by and says "We want our guy in your game, but we're not certain how well you defend your IP *points at PM*" Nintendo is put in a very bad position. This is just one of many scenarios being passed around as possibilities. I have no proof this is the actual scenario.

MUGEN isn't a mod of a game made by Nintendo. It's its own thing entirely with custom fan made fighters. MUGEN itself is nothing more than a platform for players to play custom fighters on. It's not the same as PM where it's using all of Nintendo's work, with some custom and some modifications, to make a functioning game. Comparing the two isn't really fair.

-[edit]- I mentioned that scenario specifically because it's something that happens semi-regularly, if not in the exact same flavor. Something similar happened with Mojang and Scrolls. Bethesda was all "Dude, we really don't want to, but we're legally required to press charges about the name Scrolls because it's too close to 'The Elder Scrolls' and if we want to defend our IP later down the line, we have to defend it now or we lose the rights to later."

Last edited:

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
This reminds me of that whole Candy Crush thing where all those games were using the word "Candy" in defiance of the trademark on it.

Farquaad

Smash Cadet
It's hilarious how so many people seem deadset on developing something while having no grasp whatsoever of how to do it.

It reminds me of those video game forums where people post their ideas and have absolutely no experience with any sort of programming language, and they get three or four people offering "maps" or "writing" to help

Lord Horatio

Smash Apprentice
We should not download any PM mod that introduces new characters, but certainly we have to mediate some consensus on bug fixes; what if we come across something truly broken?

TopOfAllWorlds

Smash Apprentice
I agree with adding the final aesthetics and bug fixes. This could do no harm to anyone.

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
It's hilarious how so many people seem deadset on developing something while having no grasp whatsoever of how to do it.

It reminds me of those video game forums where people post their ideas and have absolutely no experience with any sort of programming language, and they get three or four people offering "maps" or "writing" to help
You're the one with no grasp of what you're talking about. There's a new build with improvements to Lyn and Knuckles up already. It's happening that fast and yet here you are, making these ignorant posts. Just stop.

Last edited:

fsck!

Smash Cadet
You're the one with no grasp of what you're talking about. There's a new build with improvements to Lyn and Knuckles up already. It's happening that fast and yet here you are, making these ignorant posts. Just stop.
It's likely not going to go tournament legal in most places for the same reason I listed before.

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
It's likely not going to go tournament legal in most places for the same reason I listed before.
That's where new tourneys come into play and the TO's banning it will notice less interest in their own tourney more and more until they break and allow it or become obscure. You. Can't. Stop. The. Evolution.

fsck!

Smash Cadet
That's where new tourneys come into play and the TO's banning it will notice less interest in their own tourney more and more until they break and allow it or become obscure. You. Can't. Stop. The. Evolution.
I can confirm that at my events, and every PM event in my immediate area, will not be swapping off what we already have.

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
I can confirm that at my events, and every PM event in my immediate area, will not be swapping off what we already have.
Oh, you heard the latest news too? What a waste of everyone's time that Evolution BS was. Anyway, I'm sure someone's going to give you an updated PM to deal with and new characters will split this community in half before long. Enjoy being stubborn about that.

fsck!

Smash Cadet
Oh, you heard the latest news too? What a waste of everyone's time that Evolution BS was. Anyway, I'm sure someone's going to give you an updated PM to deal with and new characters will split this community in half before long. Enjoy being stubborn about that.
Sorry that I'm not doing what you want me to do, but if it bothers you that much no one is stopping you from running your own event how you want to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom