• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We've guessed before but lets guess again now that we know more (plus that delay)

Boofer

Smash Ace
About 35 characters, give or take a few... I really believe it will be a number in the 30's.

Here's why it'll definitely be over 30:

1. I think all of the characters besides Sonic and Snake are starters. You know why? The dojo seems to be following in the melee site's footsteps. Also, I doubt he would have said anything about seeing secret characters online if he was already revealing them. Other reasons: demo's similarity to the melee demo, the box-art's inclusion of a supposed unlockable (Pokemon trainer), and early event matches with Dedede and pokemon trainer as playables.

2. Given my first reason, I think any number below 30 is unrealistic. I don't see us getting less than 10 secret characters. If there were 30, I don't think he would have only 8 unknown to the public, especially if a few of those were in previous installments. Do you really forsee only 4 or 5 more newcomers?

3. Honestly, the team knows how important characters are to the series. They'd be fools to only include slightly more than we had in melee, clones or not. Characters are pretty much the essence of Smash Bros. Even with all of this SSE stuff, the main point of the game is MULTI-PLAYER. This is a fact.

Here's why I don't think it'll be over 40, though I hope I'm wrong:

1. The more characters there are, the more time it takes to balance. More than 40 is alot to balance.

2. SSE. Though I said that this is a multi-player game above all, I cannot omit the fact that lots of effort has been put into making the single player. Not to mention the fact that most characters will be unlocked in SSE. That probably means that all of those characters are somehow tied to the story.

3. Assist Trophies. Many of the 40-something characters could easily be ATs.

With all this said, I still think that the number will be closer to 40 than 30. I'd say my reasons for not having under 30 are better than mine for having over 40...

As for stages, I'm not as concerned about them because my friends and I only play on about 5 melee stages. But I'd say we'll get about 10 more than melee.

Boofer

Smash Ace
i don't feel like guessing again
i mean what happens is what happens!
seriously you should know that its not that fun to make a guess
It's not fun to guess? Really? Then why am I constantly in character speculation threads? Why did I just type that long post right above yours?

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Good reasoning Boofer. I agree, I'm going to randomly guess 32-38 characters. Stages, I don't know. What the heck, I'll say 45 stages. Assist Trophies, I'm guessing a lot, maybe (not necessarily probably) upwards of 50.

dragonairex

Smash Apprentice
What I think
no more than 50 characters( transforms inclusive I suppose)

Falco in
C.F. in
Ness in
Roy in
Jiggly in
Ganon in
Luigi in
Zelda <-> Shiek
Mewtwo out and lucario in (I trust that guy on gamefaq)
then, Wolf is in I suppose

Marth - well, I expect a total change in moves:ohwell:

G & W out (if G & W is in, I expect his FS to be Master Hand :psycho:)
Pichu out
Young link out

Sonic is unlockable
Snake again unlockable

Krystal in
character from Animal Crossing
Amy from Sonic series
one more character from Metal Gear

Paper mario as AT
Tails as AT
Bowser Jr. as AT

Rejiice, rejirock, rejistell as pokemon (from AG series, like the 3 birds in 1st gen.)
Jirachi also

35 stages
Poke Floats 2
Super Mario Galaxy stage

========below are pure hopes, chance of dream come true is minimal=========
one more Pokemon Trainer (probably a girl from AG or DP series, but what I hope is the one from the fire red/leaf green game :psycho:)
the X,Y,Z parts (another hidden vehicle in Kirby's Air Ride) also in

that's enought for today......

matthewdw94*

Smash Apprentice

This picture is from the "share update". If you look at what its loading from nintendo it sais custom stage. That means that nintendo will send us more stages. Over time they might start making stages not possible with the stage builder and send them to us. I might be going out on a limb, but eventullay don't you think that nintendo might send an update allowing for downloadable modes, items, music, SSE missions, or even characters?

and bte characters:38-45
stages:50+

sceptilian

Smash Apprentice
I'm expecting at least 35 characters, but not more than 45.

As for stages, I think around 40-something.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Wow... so many... choices around 40. o.o;

Maybe I'm optimistic or something. I say 45-50 characters, 50 being the perfect number. Maybe that's too many, but it seems like there are too many choices fr characters to limit it much more.

As for stages... no idea. Lessee... there were 29 in Melee... how about 60-65 in Brawl.

Asuma

Smash Cadet
I've had to say around 40 characters.
And if hopefully,there's a stage for each character corresponding,and including additional stages [Past stages,stages without pc's,etc.] then I'd have to go for about 55.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
35 characters, I have no clue with stages. I'm just hoping a lot to compensate for the fact that there won't be as many characters.

2nd Stamp

Smash Ace
I guess I should state my believes aswell. Let's go over them..

- Not all 64 characters return, Ness will be out of the game.
- Captain Falcon is in, either updated in 2 weeks or unlockable (For good times sake).
- Bowser Jr. will be a character
- Krystal and Wolf will be characters
- Falco is back with a new moveset
- Geno will be an unlockable character
- King K. Rool will be a boss
- Lucario will be playable
- Mewtwo will be back (He's too populair to just "delete")
- Mr G&W will be out.
- Wario will be the only one with an alternate costume
- Pichu is out
- Young Link is replaced by Hero of Winds (Wind Waker Link)
- Sheik will be Zelda's transformation again, and will be TP style.
- Earthbound will get the Masked Man as a last representative
- Master Hand will be a boss in Single Player
- Ridley will be a Subspace Boss

Zombieoficer

Smash Journeyman
I'm expecting 40 characters, give or take a few.

I'm thinking this time, every playable character will have a corresponding stage, which may or may not include past stages. Then we have stages for franchises without PCs, like Mario Circuit, Smashville, and Pictochat. Finally, we have smash original stages, i.e. Battlefield and FD.
So somewhere within 50-60.
You're not sure Smashville doesn't have a PC. :ohwell:

I'm expecting around 45 characters and about the same number of stages. Because I really hate to say it, but they really have thought of everything.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Well I'm think every original chhar from ssb will be in, unless replaced.(Ness) And replaced means their spot was take by someone with a similar moveset right? so Lucario can't really be taking Mewtwos place

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I guess I should state my believes aswell. Let's go over them..

- Not all 64 characters return, Ness will be out of the game.
- Captain Falcon is in, either updated in 2 weeks or unlockable (For good times sake).
- Bowser Jr. will be a character
- Krystal and Wolf will be characters
- Falco is back with a new moveset
- Geno will be an unlockable character
- King K. Rool will be a boss
- Lucario will be playable
- Mewtwo will be back (He's too populair to just "delete")
- Mr G&W will be out.
- Wario will be the only one with an alternate costume
- Pichu is out
- Young Link is replaced by Hero of Winds (Wind Waker Link)
- Sheik will be Zelda's transformation again, and will be TP style.
- Earthbound will get the Masked Man as a last representative
- Master Hand will be a boss in Single Player
- Ridley will be a Subspace Boss
I agree with evrything except, Wolf isn't in( maybe a boss), Falco MIGHT be back, WWlink won't be in at all, and Ridley will be PC AND boss:chuckle:

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
I kinda think people are really underestimating how many characters there will be in Brawl.

I am 99% convinced that the characters we've seen so far are almost all starters. I think Snake is the only unlockable amongst the bunch.

Taking that into account, I think it'd be absurd to think there will be less than 40 characters. I think 45 is more likely, and more is definetely possible.

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
All I can say is, I don't know how many characters are going to be in Brawl. They've had so much time to make this game, I just can't imagine what they have been doing.

I'm taking a guess at about 35~40 stages, with five or six being clones of another stage just laid out differently, this might or might not include the older stages though.

There will be plenty of Pokemon (probably all four billion kajillion of them :p), of course. Probably a ton of ATs, at least 70~120 (ya rly), and lots of new items that Sakurai hasn't shown to us (I mean, cmon, he's evil. he would do that.)

ssbmaster2007

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking there will most likely be around 40 playable characters, and 45 stages, I don't think there will be too insane of an amount of stages since you can create how ever many of your own stages as you want to add to it.

And though the more characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl the better, I don't think the number of playable characters in it will exceed 40, and if so, not by very much, but at the same time, it would be a bit lacking to me if it had much less than 40 playable characters.

grud315

Smash Cadet
Well, bsaed on what Sakurai said months ago, I'm guessing:

42 characters
50 stages

But that many stages might eba little too much. I mean we can all imagine Mario, Zelda, and Metroid each getting 4 or 3 stages, and assuming a good portion are coming back, it sounds reasonalbe. If there are even 20 returning, 50 makes sense. But if we calacualtethings from previous installmetns, we'd go from 9, to 29, to 49. So 50 is reasonable.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
I say about 40-45 characters, but with stage builder, I think we'll only get about 40 stages.

00Elf

Smash Journeyman
Well, statistically speaking...

64 had eight starters and four unlockables. Therefore 50% of the roster was unlockable.
Melee had fourteen starters and eleven unlockables. 44% of the roster was unlockable.

Now let's count ZSS, Sheik, and PT's transformations as roster spots (These characters took just as much time to program as any others). Let's also assume that every character on the Dojo with the exclusion of Sonic and Snake is a starter. Finally, let's assume that no more starters exist. This puts the starting roster at 23, and the total minimum roster at 25.

Let's put the maximum roster size at 46 (given that it is unlikely that there will be more unlockables then starters).
So far, we have established:

Mean empirical proportion of unlockables to starters=47% ([50+44]/2)
Standard Deviation=4.24 characters (sqrt{[50-47]^2+[44-47]^2})
Minimum Roster Size=25 (Currently revealed)
Maximum Roster Size=46 (Double current assumed starter size)

So, when we apply this to a normal curve we see that the most likely final roster size is 34 (25*1.47) with a 68% chance that the final size will be between 30 and 38. I'd say 35 from my own gut.

Heretique

Smash Apprentice
There's probably 1-100 characters

There's probably 1-100 stages

Prove me wrong Sakurai~

Camalach

Smash Apprentice
I think their will be a good 43 characters and around 40 stages. I would say more stages except with the stage builder I think 40 is a pretty good number.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
I can't see there being more than 35 characters. Yes, they've had far more time to work on the game than Melee, but by no means is all their time put into making characters. SSE, stage builder, online, co-op, etc take just as much (if not more, especially stage builder and SSE) time to implement as characters. Also, as crazy as 00Elf's calculations may seem (you're a freaking nutter, you know that. jk), the end result is a rather safe bet.

As for stages... Again, no more than 45, with 40 being the more likely.

Of course, this is all just me in my head. You can never tell what Sakurai will pull out of his wazzoo.

MR333

Smash Cadet
i predict about 35-40 characters. on stages, i say around 45. maybe less b/c of the capabilities of the stage builder.

Top Bottom